• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Viz to Launch Shonen Sunday Imprint with Rin-ne Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:24 am Reply with quote
AH Yeah, Viz just keeps announcing awesome stuff.

Lord Geo wrote:
No, this just means that all Shonen Sunday mangas that are being published will now be under the "Shonen Sunday" imprint, instead of being in the general imprint... i.e. the spine will now have a new logo instead of the big red "V" like usual.

This also means that we'll probably be getting a bunch more Sunday mangas to help support this new imprint. Personally I am hoping for The Law of Ueki Plus, Monkey Turn (Viz should take advantage of the anime masters they have for Monkey Turn and finally release the anime on DVD with this new imprint!), Devil & Devil, and History's Strongest Desciple KenIchi to be licensed and debut on this new imprint.

If Viz can get also get Ai Kora an Zetai Karen Children and some of the older stuff, I will be happy. Also, it will be funny because it means that Inuyasha and Case Close will have had 3 different print logos on their binds in just 5 years(Old Viz logo, Viz Action, and Shonen Sunday)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ChibiJosh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:46 am Reply with quote
I hope they can finally bring some of Kazuhiro Fujita stuff to the US, specifically Ushio and Tora.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Very nice Viz!! I guess it'll just be an imprint, like Signature, and (now) Shojo Beat. I don't think they'd try a magazine, but who knows. They should've announced this at AX.
suika

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:44 am Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:

Still, I do wonder about one thing...why is Yuu Watase involved with a shonen imprint? She's like, as shojo as shojo gets.

That's because Watase currently has a series, Arata Kangatari, serializing in Shonen Sunday. Viz didn't stick her in a shonen imprint for no apparent reason. Wink

Here's a preview from the Shonen Sunday website if you'd like to take a look at it.
Starks

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:50 am Reply with quote
I’m a good friend of Higurashi, the webmaster of inu-yasha.org (IIFJ), and I am utterly shocked by this news coming from her. Not so much by the news, but how it was delivered.

Higurashi wouldn’t dare make such a confidently worded announcement about a new Inuyasha anime unless she was close to 100% sure that it was a reality. I’ve known her for at least 5 years and I trust her conjecture on this matter. If she’s wrong, I won’t hold it against her. If not a new anime, the only other thing it could would be regarding the release date of the Black Tessaiga OVA.

I myself have long stood by the notion that the Inuyasha franchise (not counting manga releases in the US) would only be relevant for one year after the manga finished in Japan. Additionally, I have held that there existed a critical now-or-never window of opportunity between the Fall ‘08 and Fall ‘09 seasons inclusively, for a new anime or continuation to be announced.

After 5 long years, is this the news we’ve all been anticipating?
Apterous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:23 am Reply with quote
I was hoping for a Takahashi-themed magazine, in the vain hopes that they would start re-releasing (complete) Urusei Yatsura manga. NOTE TO VIZ: We're ready now!
Fuku

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote
Cross Game and Touch are in Shonen Sunday; I hope Viz picks them up!
Masura

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:17 am Reply with quote
These are the manga listed at the bottom of the page
Aratakangatari-Yuu Watase
Maho Juvenile Remix-Kotaro Isaka Megumi Osuga
Juhou Kaikin!! Hyde And Closer-Haro Aso
Kekkaishi-Yellow Tanabe
Kyoukai No Rinne Rumiko Takahashi

I think those are from the manga listed above, but that probably indicates manga that might be in the magazine.
MisterEd

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:25 am Reply with quote
This is great news! Shonen Sunday manga have never gotten the full attention they deserve from VIZ. More recently they've stayed away from licensing longer series, but if I know anything about VIZ, I think that they will announce Hyde and Closer, Cross Game, Law of Ueki Plus, Absolutely lovely children, and Saijo no Meiji at the San Diego Comic Con.

Personally, I'm really hoping that they release Cross Game, it's the only series I've ever read scanlations of, and it's fantastic. Saijo No Meiji and Law of Ueki Plus would also be really nice, too.
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:55 am Reply with quote
I wonder why Viz feels the need for another imprint. Do US manga readers really pay that much attention to a publisher's various imprints? Or maybe the drive for more imprints is fueled by bookseller preferences?
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Patlabor is the one I'm REALLY hoping for. Please Viz, please!!! Also Urusei Yatsura, Touch, Ushio & Tora. Come on!!!

LKK wrote:
I wonder why Viz feels the need for another imprint. Do US manga readers really pay that much attention to a publisher's various imprints? Or maybe the drive for more imprints is fueled by bookseller preferences?

I'm sure it does help. If someone likes a series like Inuyasha, and they're trying to find another series they might like, the easiest thing while browsing at a bookstore would be to look at the logo on the spine. Inuyasha is from Shonen Sunday? Hey maybe I'll like Kekkaishi, which is also from Shonen Sunday. The same would be true for the Shonen Jump, Signature, and Shojo Beat lines. It creates an association between different titles that'll hopefully encourage people to check out more from the imprint. If you like Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto, then chances are a lot of things in the Shonen Jump line will be to your liking.
saturnfireflie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes!
Yuu Watase's newest series is a shounen - believe it or not.
Anyway I'll read anything by her. I am glad they are bringing more of her series over. Very excited for this ^^
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:
Patlabor is the one I'm REALLY hoping for. Please Viz, please!!! Also Urusei Yatsura

YES. This, definetily this. C'mon Viz, I've been waiting almost ten frakking years for the rest of UY!
gatotsu911

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that's actually pretty cool. There's a good chance I may subscribe.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
This is pretty cool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3