• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Girls und Panzer (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:57 pm Reply with quote
im pretty sure one of those tanks in the opening scene was a StuG, which ins't a really a tank, but still cool
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:12 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Cute girls, even cuter tanks, ridiculous concept, enormous aircraft carrier city; what's not to love.

Sense. It makes none.

It looks like we will get a demonstration of how that matters not in anime.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 2

There might be some explanation, but the whole live fire thing seems a little out there. I also think that their instructer seems spoiler[kind of poor in having them do a sparing match so quickly without even inspecting their tanks, or actually teaching them how to use them]. A couple teams were lucky in spoiler[going, I did enjoy that one team consulting the internet for answers.]

Gotta say I am a fan of team C, just something kind of awesome about them.

Why aren't these the main characters? Especially this girl.
The only main girl that grips my attention is that girl Yukari.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:45 pm Reply with quote
well, i guess sending them off to battle so soon is a good way to understand what roles they are suited for best. I pity those girls in the M3 Lee. I hated using it in Word of Tanks.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

So our cast manages to win with the sudden help of Mako taking over the drivin. Afterwards each of the cast then got their more long term roles: Miho got commander due to her effective she was at leading them in the match. Saori's social behavior got her the readio position, Hana got the gun because she liked how it sounded, Yukari went for loader, and they managed to convince Mako to join for the driver.

Then each of the groups decided to make some personal changes. The six girl team went for spoiler[pretty pink, student council went for gold to match their egos, Team C went for a wicked red with flags and German, Volleyball girls went simply for words, probably saying girls volleyball. And main cast settled on some pillows matching each person's station, Yukari was adamant at as little changes as possible, she was not impressed with the other teams.]

They will be getting a friendly match with another school, first they had the smart member of the student council make their plan, but spoiler[she lost it when Miho pointed out flaws. They instead decided to make the Miho the comander of the team, and with the penalty of failure being an embarassing dance.]

The fansubber are making a mistake with inserting so many German words, it makes it hard to understand things, and I even find myself going off what I understand in Japanese over what some of the subtitles. I am still having fun and looking forward to how next episode turns out.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
From what the student council president mentioned, it seemed to me more like spoiler[the other teams threw the match moreso than Team A winning the match.]

Interested to see how the match with this other school (with a far bigger ship) will go. I can't imagine our brand new sensha-do girls being able to take on elites like them but maybe Miho has some tricks up her sleeve. Regardless, I'm elated to see the skirmishes starting sooner rather than later. My favorite parts of Girls und Panzer so far have been the tank battles.

Also, those fansubbers include multiple subtitle tracks with their releases. If you select the one with something like 'ubermensch[no fun allowed] then you won't get any German besides panzerfahren I believe.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Also, those fansubbers include multiple subtitle tracks with their releases. If you select the one with something like 'ubermensch[no fun allowed] then you won't get any German besides panzerfahren I believe.
This might start to into topics we are not meant to discuss but. I don't download though, I just watch stream, this from fear of viruss, some laws, and a way to encourage myself to get physical purchases. On that I think there could be some interesting ideas for a dub with the partial German, but shows like this rarely get dubs.

And if they were spoiler[going to throw the match, why would they all gang up on them, I would guess they maybe interested in finding out how Miho could handle the situation], they are all looking at her.

Been thinking about changing my avatar to a character from this series, but I just changed recently, already got a picture but maybe I am just waiting for a pic capture more of what I want. I might just go for it and change again if I see a cooler pic.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
gridsleep wrote:
Tanks without infantry is ridiculous. Of course this is a fantasy. They don't have the first clue about tactical theory. I find this amusing and irksome at once. Reminds me of Battlezone. Which would have been more popular if it had had cute girls in sailor suits. ... Why are they wearing sailor suits in army tanks? This is wrong on so many different levels. And totally derivative of Tank Police. They even have a Renault. Three minutes into it and I am spending more time finding wrong points than just watching it. Never mind the fancy la la paint jobs. I suppose that's supposed to be a given for the newbies expressing themselves on their first sortie. Without infantry! Why! Tanks without infantry is a joke! A video game!
And then the end... water world? Tanks on an aircraft carrier? Hm, when what the last time I saw the what doesn't belong here trope? Oh yes. Dinosaurs on a space ship. And the whole let's turn tank operation into a rite of feminine passage routine might go well in an oav, but this is going to need Heinleinian levels of writing to carry an entire series on that, and I don't see that happening. It's an alternate universe where tanks are for girls. Do boys still get the Gundam? Oh, and, yeah, too many crosses. I've got bad issues with that. Sorry. And once again even if it's for a laugh, the whole women shaping themselves to be acceptable males' models for life mating is offensive. One rebel girl would be nice, no strike that, essential, but I guess that's been shot down in the name of friendship and conformity. I could have enjoyed this if were a bit more like, say, Angel Beats, but it's just an inflated balloon. I think I'll spend the rest of the afternoon rereading Tank Girl.

Wow, I'm actually surprised how little you got attacked for pointing out how unrealistic and inaccurate this show is in its depiction of tank warfare. I was expecting a ton of fanboys to activate their Maginot Line and go nuts on you.

I always find it interesting with these military type shows how people say that they love the show just because it caters to their love of (insert military theme). They say "This show is for WW2 buffs," or "This show is for gun buffs," or "This show is for air combat buffs," or "This show is for tank buffs." However, it seems like when people who have real in depth knowledge of those particular themes criticize the show for getting tons of stuff wrong in that particular area, then the defense force comes out and says "It's just meaningless anime man, stop being so serious."
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
ep.3

spoiler[well at now 5 girls panzer team all set yea give maho very nappy got 5 alarm clock still napping?

at least tank goodnees is here yea 5 girls tank crew won training match ok then now take on another tank school battle with twist IF they lose miho has do some “dance”?]

& yea how can we get one of those city-land type BIG NICE BOAT to ride?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
When somebody doesn't know why girls are wearing a sailor suit then you realize they're either trolling or are extremely new.

@Dusky: The ironic thing is that you're much more likely to get virus/malware by visiting shady illegal stream sites than by downloading a file (provided that you're downloading from a well-known group of course). Also, that they all spoiler[ganged up on Miho's group is what leads me to believe it was all planned. They wanted her to rejuvenate her senses and there's no better way to do that than to take out all the other tanks as they're ganging up on her group.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:09 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
When somebody doesn't know why girls are wearing a sailor suit then you realize they're either trolling or are extremely new.
That is why I ignored it, not worth the energy with trying to say why such shows can be entertaining.

Megiddo wrote:
Also, that they all spoiler[ganged up on Miho's group is what leads me to believe it was all planned. They wanted her to rejuvenate her senses and there's no better way to do that than to take out all the other tanks as they're ganging up on her group.]
I guess I like that idea, makes me happier then the previous heavy pushing (blackmail) that happened earlier.

Forgot to mention that there was specific mention of there "used to be schools on land", this seems to have some significance for the setting. Perhaps at some point they put a majority of civilians or youth onto the sea for some war, and just have not gone back.
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
this series doesn't have a lot to offer beyond watching some tank tactics animated. the subbers constantly adding German text is annoying not because I can't understand it I can but because its a different font and simply a pain to read while following the story.

the angst girl who suffered trauma in tank battles joins school that has none before getting hooked into commanding a rag tag group which will have to surpass the leading teams of which one will be the cause of her trauma isn't much of a story. especially when you know they will waste entire episodes on her reminiscing just how she was traumatized and how much effort she has to put forth overcoming it.

as long as the story stays light like the first few eps the animation is still worth the watch when they start delving into the drama end of it I'll probably be dropping it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:27 am Reply with quote
Since this is Saki with tanks (though much less overt lesbian overtones) I really doubt there will be much of any drama. It'll probably just be Miho against her sister just like how it's Saki against her sister.
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:35 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Megiddo wrote:
Also, that they all spoiler[ganged up on Miho's group is what leads me to believe it was all planned. They wanted her to rejuvenate her senses and there's no better way to do that than to take out all the other tanks as they're ganging up on her group.]
I guess I like that idea, makes me happier then the previous heavy pushing (blackmail) that happened earlier.
I went with the assumption that the rest of them simply sucked at tank, so they ganged up on who they saw was the biggest threat, but since they sucked...
dragoneyes001

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:48 am Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Since this is Saki with tanks (though much less overt lesbian overtones) I really doubt there will be much of any drama. It'll probably just be Miho against her sister just like how it's Saki against her sister.

speaking of which: the bath scene without the nearly mandatory "let me feel you up" character was refreshing. anime or not the premiss just gets old after a while.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 30