• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Railgun Staff, Cast Return for 2nd Season's Sisters Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:10 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:
Well you would probably say quite a few, but look at their REASON for fighting, and being a villain. Most (with very few exceptions) have some sort of easily justifiable reason for fighting, rather than 'oh I'll conquer the world!!!!' reasons that are rather dull.

>Nanoha A's

Just to name one of innumerable (and better) examples of this.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I wonder... did anyone only get into Railgun? I imagine most people watched Railgun because they watched Index so they'd be fully aware of what the Sisters arc entails.

You mean, outside of Japan?

There might be those who only got into Railgun in Japan, but that would be via the Manga, so they'd know about the Sisters arc from the manga.

I watched Index 1 before starting Railgun when Funimation came out with their Roku channel, but that was because I had the time to spare. If time was more short, I would only have watched Railgun.
GiriOni

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

>Nanoha A's

Just to name one of innumerable (and better) examples of this.

Never said that it was the best in those ideas. I was just saying that the villains have more meaning than certain shows, like Naruto and Bleach.

You get a bit more of the reasons why they fight when you read the light novels. So I'll admit that the anime of Index falls short for this lack of total understanding, and while Railgun is much better in anime format simply due to the variance in original format. An anime based off of a manga is better than an anime based off of a light novel, simple fact. Anime of a light novel can never be as good as the original. (Unless the anime is done in a unique way that can make up for it's missing pieces, example being Bakemonogatari)

On a side note, I thought I would mention that magic is kept at a large mystery as means to connect to the ways of religion in this world. While on the other hand science is heavily explained, as this is the reason behind the idea of science in this world as well.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:33 pm Reply with quote
GiriOni wrote:

Never said that it was the best in those ideas. I was just saying that the villains have more meaning than certain shows, like Naruto and Bleach.

No one compares Raildex to Naruto or Bleach, and if they do, they're an idiot. Its a completely different type of show, aimed at a completely different audience.

Quote:
You get a bit more of the reasons why they fight when you read the light novels. So I'll admit that the anime of Index falls short for this lack of total understanding, and while Railgun is much better in anime format simply due to the variance in original format. An anime based off of a manga is better than an anime based off of a light novel, simple fact. Anime of a light novel can never be as good as the original. (Unless the anime is done in a unique way that can make up for it's missing pieces, example being Bakemonogatari)

My issues with Index go all the way back to the source material, the fact that the anime is a less than amazing adaption doesn't help, but even if it were absolutely perfect I'd still hate Touma, for example.

And it is possible to animate a highly complex novel without making it completely shitty.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

And it is possible to animate a highly complex novel without making it completely shitty.

Horizon, right?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Horizon, right?

Yeah, the 'Monogatari series is another good example.

But really, Horizon is what Index and a lot of other Light Novels (and their adaptions) are trying to be, but fail so badly at.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3