• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buying anime @ .com (Plus Complete Sets Questions)

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benizuka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has bought anything off Amazon.com. I'm interested from buying there because it seems to have some great prices and is kind of a one-stop place to look for alot of sets. If so, (if you have bought stuff there) how did the transaction turn out? Good/Bad Experiences? Was everything new/unscratched? Quick Shipping? Were you able to use personal checks or credit card only?

Also, on a closely related note:

I noticed Cowboy Bebops Complete Sessions Box for $39.03?! Wow, had I known it was this cheap I would have already owned it.

Is that every episode?

Peeking around I noticed that they had FLCL DVDs. Is there a complete box for that as well?

Anyways, any info you can throw at me is appreciated. I'm new here, posting-wise anyways, though I've been sneaking around for a while now. Laughing This is one EXCEPTIONAL MESSAGE BOARD! Great community, I feel, as well. As we junglists say: Biggups ANN Massive.

Oh yeah, if you'd like to recommend any other complete boxed sets that go for a good price shout em out and I'll look around.

Thanks, I'll be see'in ya.
Kazuki-san

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Benizuka wrote:

I noticed Cowboy Bebops Complete Sessions Box for $39.03?! Wow, had I known it was this cheap I would have already owned it.

Every one of those is a boot except for the one selling for $170. (yes it is all eps) The others are poor quality HK boots.

Amazon in general is an excellent place to buy. It only becomes iffy if you are buying used and new through third parties, like with your Bebop example.

Also, this really belongs in the retail forum, not the anime one.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, This should be in the retail thread.

I order only from Amazon. I love it, every dvd i have ever gotten was in perfect condition and they have good custumor service.

The Cowboy Bebop box that is only $39 is called a Boot. It is the equivilent of me burnning a cd and selling it on line for the 1/4 of the price (i dont, its just an example).

FLCL has a box, it came with the third dvd but that was a Special Edition which is probaly really hard to find. I wish i had one... Crying or Very sad
Dagwood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Retail Thread.

Every time I've ordered from Amazon.com, my order came through without problems. Their customer service is pretty good.

Quote:
Every one of those is a boot except for the one selling for $170. (yes it is all eps) The others are poor quality HK boots.

Be careful when ordering from online market places, they are full of pirated material. Although, if you know what your doing you can find some great legit stuff. Read this, it will help.

Pirate Anime FAQ
http://www.digital.anime.org.uk/piratefaq.html
CAS Bootleg Guide
http://members.austarmetro.com.au/~mwhitley/bootleg.htm
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tvgood

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I’m not sure about buying anime from Amazon but Ebay is great for anime that’s where i bought all of mine like I saw the entire season of cowboy Bebop for 20 bucks I also bought Evangelion in its entirety for 25 and all 95 episode Rurouni Kenshin for 70. Ebay has the greatest prices and just so you now every thing i bought was new all you have to do is read every thing very thoroughly so you don't get gypped.

Last edited by tvgood on Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:19 pm Reply with quote
tvgood wrote:
Im not sure about buying anime from amazon but Ebay is great for anime thats where i bought all of mine like i saw the entire season of cowboy Bebop for 20 bucks I also bought Evangelion in its entirty for 25 and all 95 episode Rurouni Kenshin for 70. Ebay has the greatest prices and just so you now every thing i bought was new all you have to do is read every thing very toroughly so you don't get jipped.

Er.. sorry to tell you this, but what you bought are probably bootlegs Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. Complete seasons for such a low amount of money, and let me guess, 3 DVDs for the 26 episode series and 12 for Kenshin, right? And I'm also guessing the Bebop and Kenshin boxes also have the green letters "fx" on them too, right?

Yeah, those are bootlegs. In fact, I used to have the ones you have and a heck of a lot more. However, I've since given away or sold them all to my friends, who are suckers in their own rights knowing fully well (because I told them myself) they're boots.

But it's OK, while some people may buy them, I can sort of understand since we all want to save money, although I still choose to hold some morals. Oh well..
tvgood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 2:17 am Reply with quote
Quote:

boxes also have the green letters "fx" on them too, right?

No they didn't come with FX on them and they where brand new vacuumed sealed they even have designs on the disks. That’s either real or a really good bootleg that plays on a PS2 and X Box.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:30 am Reply with quote
tvgood wrote:
No they didn't come with FX on them and they where brand new vacuumed sealed they even have designs on the disks. That’s either real or a really good bootleg that plays on a PS2 and X Box.

I see. Oh well, enjoy 'em anyway Razz. I hold nothing against you if they are boots or not. Heck, I have a three of them myself; Tekkaman Blade, Tekkaman Blade II and Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust. The only reason I'm keeping the Bloodlust one, though, is because it has DTS audio, and I believe the R1 version only has Dolby Digital 5.1 Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop.
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 3:44 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
tvgood wrote:
Im not sure about buying anime from amazon but Ebay is great for anime thats where i bought all of mine like i saw the entire season of cowboy Bebop for 20 bucks I also bought Evangelion in its entirty for 25 and all 95 episode Rurouni Kenshin for 70. Ebay has the greatest prices and just so you now every thing i bought was new all you have to do is read every thing very toroughly so you don't get jipped.

Er.. sorry to tell you this, but what you bought are probably bootlegs Anime smallmouth + sweatdrop. Complete seasons for such a low amount of money, and let me guess, 3 DVDs for the 26 episode series and 12 for Kenshin, right? And I'm also guessing the Bebop and Kenshin boxes also have the green letters "fx" on them too, right?

Yeah, those are bootlegs. In fact, I used to have the ones you have and a heck of a lot more. However, I've since given away or sold them all to my friends, who are suckers in their own rights knowing fully well (because I told them myself) they're boots.

But it's OK, while some people may buy them, I can sort of understand since we all want to save money, although I still choose to hold some morals. Oh well..

Sorry dude, they're bootleg. check your kenshin boxset, it doesn't have the media blaster logo anywhere on it than it's a bootleg. Also if it's 12 disc, than it's bootleg, if it's 22 disc, than that's the legit version. Also you will notice there's no FBI warning and there's chinese subtitle on your DVD.

Here's a picture of the legit boxset 1 (there's 3 boxset total)

If this is not what your boxet looks like, than it's a bootleg.

There's this myth that bootleg dvd are suppose to look really plain and bland, but HK bootleg are professionally done. Shrink art, gatefold boxes, nice cd label. They mass produce them in cheap pressing factory to make them look authentic. They make tons of profit selling it off to buyers. Then foolish buyer say "they're not bootleg, look at how professinonally they've done the art." Oh how easy it is to fool people in this day and age.

Okay, so you're thinking, so what if I buy bootleg, they are good qauity because they're dvdrip of the legit version, that shouldn't concern me.

You're buying bootleg, you're supporting the bootleggers to make more bootlegs. None of the money goes toward the people that made the anime or brought the anime for you. And remember, Bootleg dVD are usually compress in quality about 60% of the quality to compresentate for the space needed. Your eyes can't really tell the differences on the TV screen, but watching it on a HD TV side by side and you will notice the differences, espeiccally during fast moving scene or dark area scene. It's espeically noticible on the moniter.

Yea I know, you don't want to be lecture, but I just want to make it clear so nobody else get confuse.
There are a lot of people out there that still don't know the differences between a bootleg and legit dvd and I don't blame them.

Good luck in the future, and enjoy your bootleg, (Boooooo) Arrow

Oh yeah, most of my legit DVD comes from DeepdiscountDVD.com. just in case anyone want to get legit dvd for cheap.
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:36 am Reply with quote
Hey.....what is DTS? I know what 5.1 is but DTS?

Is it somthing like "no mater how many speakers you have, you will hear sound out of all of them!!!"?

I hate boots only because the creators dont get money, and the pictures are somtimes crappy. so i am replacing the 4 of 5 I have (i have boot CB Box thats not gunna be replaced any time soon.) FLCL and Samurai x finito and Gundam wing on its way. Very Happy. Hellsing.....gotta save thee monyyyy.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:43 am Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Hey.....what is DTS? I know what 5.1 is but DTS?

Is it somthing like "no mater how many speakers you have, you will hear sound out of all of them!!!"?

NightFlight DVD Dictionary wrote:
DTS (Digital Theatre System)
DTS is a six-channel digital sound format. In order to maintain full multichannel separation, it uses almost four times as much disc space as Dolby sound. Compared with the competing Dolby format, relatively few DVDs have been released with DTS sound. In order to take advantage of this DVD feature, a DTS decoder is required. DTS decoders can either be installed internally in your player or attached as an external module. Note: Some DVDs feature both the Dolby and DTS audio options.

In other words, it's the next level after Dobly Digital 5.1. It basically has louder and more crisp surround sound in terms of sound effects, background music, and whatever else. I'm glad some anime DVDs are starting to support this too Anime smile.
tvgood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

Sorry dude, they're bootleg. check your kenshin boxset, it doesn't have the media blaster logo anywhere on it than it's a bootleg. Also if it's 12 disc, than it's bootleg, if it's 22 disc, than that's the legit version. Also you will notice there's no FBI warning and there's chinese subtitle on your DVD.

There's an FBI warning on, no Chinese subtitles I know this because I can read a good amount of Japanese also I can generally tell the deference between the two languages on site and I do have an HDTV and it looks great. Plus the guys I buy from sells his surplus from his site on ebay and all of there feedbacks say nothing about bootlegs you would think some one would have noticed out 21,000 people. If you think about it would be nearly impossible to keep such a large scale operation going under ground.
wanderer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Benizuka wrote:
Hey, I'm just wondering if anyone has bought anything off Amazon.com. I'm interested from buying there because it seems to have some great prices and is kind of a one-stop place to look for alot of sets. If so, (if you have bought stuff there) how did the transaction turn out? Good/Bad Experiences? Was everything new/unscratched? Quick Shipping? Were you able to use personal checks or credit card only?

I buy a lot of anime from amazon.com and I highly recommend them. Their prices aren't the best on the internet however, as there are other less expensive sites with the same merchandise, but their customer service is the best (from my experience) so its worth it. I don't usually buy complete boxsets, but whenever I want to buy a volume 1 +artbox, 95% of the time I buy from amazon because the artboxes are never crushed,broken, dented, etc. and are in perfect condition when I get them.[Except for the wooden Samurai Deeper Kyo artbox; I knew the distributor probably wouldn't package it well and just shrinkwrap it like any other artbox (which they did) so I had a feeling that it would be broken when I got it (which it was). I also got a scratched up Tsukihime artbox and loose disc, but the replacement was exactly the same, so I think that was a Geneon issue. I tried to exchange a second time but they wouldn't let me and offered me a refund and a $5 coupon for the trouble.]. Most of the time they shrinkwrap your items to a piece of cardboard and then put that in a box so they don't move around or get banged up in the shipping carton. But on occasion they'll use little plastic airbags for dunnage.

But, like I said, the customer service is great. You get quick responses to questions with e-mail; and returns or exchanges are easy,stress-free, and very smooth. I've never had any problems with them in that respect. Their website is very user friendly; in that you can cancel items on your own without having to go through customer service. If you want to return or exchange something you can set most of that up on the website yourself without having to deal with customer service, and they're fast and consistent with confirmation e-mails whenever you alter an order or request an exchange/refund, etc.

I've had a few items show up either defective or damaged but its rare and usually due to something that went wrong with the distributor.( But things like that happen wherever you shop.) Even so, as I said, they're easy to deal with so everything was fixed (exchanges/refunds completed) within a couple of weeks.

I recommend going through Amazon's Help section if you have any questions about shipping rates and payments (I always use my credit card- free shipping on most orders over $25 Anime smile ), etc. There's a lot of information in there, so it can be overwhelming, but its very thorough and very useful. Its a good thing to do anyway when you're thinking about buying from a new place.

Someone else mentioned to be careful of the Amazon marketplace sellers. I'll agree with that, especially if you're looking for anime. But as long as you do a little research about bootlegs and pricing, and use common sense you should be okay if you want to go that route. For example: if amazon has the complete series boxset you're looking at priced at $149.75, and there are sellers listing theirs as $40 brand new its probably not legitimate. A price of $80 used or $110+ new is probably on the level. But still be careful. Also, always know how many discs is in the legitimate release. If the set you want has 8 discs and the seller is describing a 'special 3 disc import' that's a bootleg. If you aren't sure you can always ask someone on this site if what you're looking at it legitimate; people here (as you can see in this very thread) are very helpful when it comes to that. There are tons of threads and information on this and other sites to educate yourself on bootlegs, so looking through those is helpful too Wink.

I wouldn't recommend the marketplace on amazon for any big purchases however (unless you get to know a certain seller), just to be on the safe side, because you never know what kind of service those sellers have or the quality of their items. I once bought Berserk vol.1+box from the market place. It was defective and took two replacements and five months before I got a decent copy. On the other hand, I also discovered Digitaleyes in the amazon marketplace. They've got a great site and they've since become my primary supplier of anime.

Good luck! Very Happy
darkhunter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:24 pm Reply with quote
tvgood wrote:
Quote:

There's an FBI warning on, no Chinese subtitles I know this because I can read a good amount of Japanese also I can generally tell the deference between the two languages on site and I do have an HDTV and it looks great. Plus the guys I buy from sells his surplus from his site on ebay and all of there feedbacks say nothing about bootlegs you would think some one would have noticed out 21,000 people. If you think about it would be nearly impossible to keep such a large scale operation going under ground.

PM me the seller's name. I'll look at his auction. I already know 2 bootleg seller from utah on ebay and yes they have over 20,000 of good rating due to people not knowing they're bootleg. Ebay is liter with bootleg, they're just done professinally that nobody notice it, even ebay. So far you havn't mention that there was a media blaster logo on it, someone have to produce it. Oh yea if your box doesn't look like the one above, it's a bootlegged. Does it or doesn't it?

Here are some picture of the bootleg box:

There are more bootleg box, but these are just a few.

Oh yea, you have the 22 DVD version of Kenshin from media blaster right? I did a quicker search on ebay and it seem all the kenshin boxset on ebay are bootleg, for around 70 dollar.

The same with Bebop, the common 3 DVD boxset are bootleg. The original set was 6 DVD (they compress 2 DVD into 1)
And I'm guessing your evangelion isn't the 8 DVD version.
tvgood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:11 pm Reply with quote
One guy is named covermean and the other is digitaleyesdvd nether from Utah and I never said bought Cowboy Bebop I just said I saw it and how can a bootleg have a all rights reserved thing and FBI warning. Also you didn't tell me how such a large operation can sustain it's self under ground. Also the box set does look like the top pic.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2