• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Weeaboo Weekend

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailorsarah08

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:23 pm Reply with quote
I do wonder about those anime goods sometimes. The My-Hime t-shirt has the bolded word FUKA on the front with academy in small print underneath it. I wore it out once, when I was in a hurry, and I got stopped at least four times by people asking why I had mispelled profanity on my shirt.

I never really went through a weeaboo phase. I can't eat with chopsticks, I try to every time we eat Chinese, they some how turn into skewers, then I give up and get a fork. My question is who eats fish sticks with utinesils? I have always used my hands but that may be barbaric of me...

I really like this podcast (coming from one of the teenagers from teenager party weekend Very Happy. ) I am looking forward to the next one. Congrats on the new audio equipment.
Egret

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:00 pm Reply with quote
To Zac, Justin, and Bamboo--You three really do have to deal with some real jerks sometimes, don't you? Thanks for all your time and hard work on ANN and otherwise. In the four years since I started watching anime, I've very much enjoyed/appreciated your articles, reviews, and opinions. I don't post very often here in the forums, but I just wanted to say thanks for everything you do to keep all this running.
Bara_Megami

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm not listening to this podcast ever, but some thirty-year-olds sitting around bashing "Weeaboos", which are usually young kids just getting into the fandom? Sounds delightful Rolling Eyes.

I like Justin and (occasionally) Bamboo's columns (Zac's Answerman always came across as "RAWR I'M A CRANKY OLD FAN" to me, it made me angry when I read it), so I really expected something more...classy. The other content sounds interesting, but the hatred for a segment of the fandom is appalling. It's this kind of attitude that makes non-Asian people weary to get into anime.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
I'm not listening to this podcast ever

Oh well then I certainly am interested in hearing your criticisms of it!!
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:
I'm not listening to this podcast ever, but some thirty-year-olds sitting around bashing "Weeaboos", which are usually young kids just getting into the fandom? Sounds delightful Rolling Eyes.

I like Justin and (occasionally) Bamboo's columns (Zac's Answerman always came across as "RAWR I'M A CRANKY OLD FAN" to me, it made me angry when I read it), so I really expected something more...classy. The other content sounds interesting, but the hatred for a segment of the fandom is appalling. It's this kind of attitude that makes non-Asian people weary to get into anime.

Of course the counter could be that overly obnoxious fans can make those same people equally wary. It can be daunting to people to mention that they like anime and have somebody go crazy on them about everything Japanese. But yeah, like Zac said, listening to the show before criticizing adds a lot of validity to any argument. Especially considering this was far from hatred, and more of an examination and just a ribbing.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:16 am Reply with quote
Bara_Megami wrote:

I like Justin and (occasionally) Bamboo's columns (Zac's Answerman always came across as "RAWR I'M A CRANKY OLD FAN" to me, it made me angry when I read it), so I really expected something more...classy. The other content sounds interesting, but the hatred for a segment of the fandom is appalling.

I would suggest listening to the last minute or two of the podcast, starting at 47:22.

-t
Hexon.Arq

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:43 am Reply with quote
God, no kidding about Love Hina. Being only the third anime I'd ever seen (after Eva and Excel Saga), I thought it was the funniest, cutest thing I'd ever seen. I bought the boxset a few months back out of pure nostalgia pangs only to have my memory shaken like an ugly baby; that show was awful. I couldn't even finish the first disc. (I still like the manga, however. It's not as funny as I remember, but I still think it's plenty cute.)

Oddly enough, I think I've become a bit more of a Japanophile since discovering Gaijin Smash. Azrael's repeated attempts to drown peoples' romantic delusions just seem to make me want to go more. Perhaps he should stop making every horror so hilarious.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote
I want a pair of last exile aviator sunglasses Razz

also... yeah, I kinda went through that weeaboo phase /shame Sad but I've moved past that phase...

about gaming cons vs anime cons.... I guess it depends which gaming con and which anime con you're comparing... PAX this year was imho very well run (swine flu aside), the people were very friendly (especially while waiting in line for 3 hours to play a game), but gaming cons generally attract a slightly older crowd than anime cons, which as Zac said are "teenage party fests"

also, a couple booths were giving out hand sanitizers this year at PAX... that's a good start.
Pandadice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:51 am Reply with quote
Ctimene's Lover wrote:
Japanophiles/weeaboos are some of the most radical anime fans (I go as far as saying they can be as extreme as rapid yaoi fangirls. That is saying a lot).

gotta disagree. no American anime viewer could ever touch any where near how radical and extreme legitimate otaku are. legit japanese NEET otaku have to be some of the biggest extremists out there, and infinitely more so than any kind of paparazzi or any celebrity's fans in the States
BDK

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Remember those really bad harem and ero gamees they were talking about? I think I found a new one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Gcw6skLdM&feature=popt00us13

and it involves politics!

Great work Zac, Justin and Bamboo! I eagerly look forward to the next episode!
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:49 am Reply with quote
If the great Justin Sevakis doesn't have mod powers, then why do sometimes when I scroll in the forums, the users present will list Justin Sevakis in green because that means [ Moderator ]?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:05 pm Reply with quote
BDK wrote:
I think I found a new one...

Well, that was an eye-opener. I for one am entirely in favour of trying new concepts within the eroge genre. Will the fanbase warm to it though?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cheesecracker

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:46 am Reply with quote
Zac said: "online, everyone's a complete butt-hole about everything...I have a lower opinion of everyone who gives me sh*t on the internet."

Ah sweet futility
I feel like I'm playing right into that notion, but sometimes you gotta own it.

So, it would only be OK to disagree with you to your face,just not on the net or not at all?

Respect is sometimes earned and sometimes not, likewise with disrespect.

Chicken and the egg time. If you are going to be crusty/grumpy/lumpy etc. aren't you setting the tone as much as being shaped by it?

Most things can be reduced to a matter of opinion. However, if one is honest, they own up to it or at least are willing to consider it.

My question is: Isn't there something wrong with someone whose main presence/venue exists on the net to by-default devalue someone's opinion because it is conveyed thru that same medium? What are my other options? Really.

You have my sympathies: Manners are sorely missing on the net. (Once in a while I find the problem in the mirror.)
Very Happy

I would say that people are not necessarily ruder on the net, it's more the rate of traffic and the broadness of the demographic you will encounter. It's just harder to keep up with and relate to. It doesn't help that it's hard to tell the difference between real people and personas. I think there's a lot of 'amateur pro-wrestlers' out there.

I'm *not* suggesting that you quit your job but I would also say that any job potentially can turn adversarial and it's that plus the ball and chain quality jobs have, that really takes takes it's toll. You want to run screaming but you can't.

I 'retired'(I'm older but not that old) from 3d/animation/illustration/painting/sculpting once I was able to transition to another field. I do not miss being an art caterer.

I like and respect what you guys do, but there was a big chunk of irony in the this(the 5th) installment.

After you spend a big chunk of time discussing and generally dissecting a portion of the audience, you read a letter questioning you on your possible negative feelings towards fans. An opinion that only could have been formed from what they heard in the previous 4 installments. I know I was sensing it after the 3rd one. I was taking a wait and see attitude. Not that I was looking to find fault, it just caught my attention.

Well, I thought the answer was good *and* helpful. Credit to you for addressing it.

J.D. Salinger's "Frannie and Zooey" came to mind. From what I recall, one of the themes was cautioning not to have contempt for the audience.

You may not have actual contempt, but perception is...well...you know

Confession: I can eat with chopsticks left and right handed and have used them to eat fish sticks. I was eating salad with them the other night. It just kinda happened. I'm half Chinese, no other reason.

D@mn*t, Another 'too' long post. Oh well, all for diplomacy, baby. Rolling Eyes
Veers

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
my family still thinks that way about me I think, because everytime we go shopping, they're like "hey! You'll like this! It came from Japan!" and just point to like, a box of pocky or something :/
Haha, yeah, this happens to me occasionally... my dad will be off on a business trip and ask me if I want him to keep an eye out for any anime/Japan-related stuff... I mean I guess I appreciate the thought but, yeah, just because it's Japan-inspired doesn't mean I want it... :\ (Well, the time he flew through Toyko he did pick up some random goofy stuff from a gift shop, so that was kinda cool).

Thinking back, I've also not really had much of a Japanophile phase thankfully... I've done Japanese martial arts, but that was just because they looked like a good way to get exercise and that started before I was an "anime fan"... I've studied the language but that was so I could communicate with the Japanese martial arts people and the bi-lingual FFXI playerbase... I've been to a few cons, but that was more to meet up with friends than anything else, so yeah. It's just something to spend free time on, what's the big deal, right?
DomFortress

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
BDK wrote:
I think I found a new one...

Well, that was an eye-opener. I for one am entirely in favour of trying new concepts within the eroge genre. Will the fanbase warm to it though?
Downplaying political and interplanetary crisis with libidos at 2D uterus? What more do they want, worlds domination? Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5