• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - A Whole New World

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Well I'm not Fencedude, but if anything the stakes are higher this time, at least on a personal level. Kirito has a very important and intimate goal this time: to save the girl he loves. I'm sure if you asked him she's far more important than his own life. If he died in SAO, well, that sucks, but it'd probably be better living his whole life knowing that Asuna was in the clutches of a giant douchebag.
None of which excuses the fact that the whole plot of this arc is "Rapey McRapeypants is holding Penelope Pitstop hostage and planning to rape her because rape, and the Hero must save her because all badass heroines must be depowered, threatened with rape and rescued by a dude to demonstrate the proper order of the universe."

And before anyone starts saying, "But she's trying to save herself, just give her a chance," spoiler[I've read the novels. It gets worse. Tentacles are involved.]
It's simultaneously funny and depressing because it's 100% true.

I might actually have to list out the shows this time...

- Gintama
- Medaka Box
- Hunter x Hunter - getting surprisingly heavy on the shonen for one of my lists
- Polar Bear Cafe - always fun
- From The New World - finally hooked me with the last couple episodes
- Psycho Pass - behind on this one, but I'm giving it a bit to see where it goes
- My Little Monster - the dynamic between these two is really interesting
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Vaisaga wrote:
Well I'm not Fencedude, but if anything the stakes are higher this time, at least on a personal level. Kirito has a very important and intimate goal this time: to save the girl he loves. I'm sure if you asked him she's far more important than his own life. If he died in SAO, well, that sucks, but it'd probably be better living his whole life knowing that Asuna was in the clutches of a giant douchebag.

None of which excuses the fact that the whole plot of this arc is "Rapey McRapeypants is holding Penelope Pitstop hostage and planning to rape her because rape, and the Hero must save her because all badass heroines must be depowered, threatened with rape and rescued by a dude to demonstrate the proper order of the universe."

And before anyone starts saying, "But she's trying to save herself, just give her a chance," spoiler[I've read the novels. It gets worse. Tentacles are involved.]

Yup, looks like my original decision to stop watching that misogynistic waste of animation cells was right. God, I'm starting to grow disillusioned with anime these days.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Ixion Saga DT review and no mention of Erec sama!? BLASPHEMY! Jk. The series isn't going to win any awards but it's great if you just want a laugh. I am enjoying this series quite a lot, though this week's episode was a bit weaker. (Possibly because of the lack of ED.)

Glad to see Bamboo is also enjoying Tonari no Kaibutsu kun. I'm really sad that it'll only be one cours.

Shirokuma Cafe continues to delight. I went to the event over the weekend and it was great seeing the seiyuu act out a bunch of scenes. Now I know why Kondou Takayuki's Zougame (giant tortoise) is so popular among the cast. It's hilarious to see him voicing the character! Absolutely priceless! As was seeing Sakurai and Nakamura do the young Shirokuma and Grizzly scene, and seeing Kamiya stare intently at the penguins brought on stage. X3

I still need to watch this week's episode of Uchuu Kyoudai but hooray for Hibito going into space! Deneil's an interesting character so I'm looking forward to seeing his interactions with Mutta animated.

Am loving Magi. Need to catch up on Tempest, BTOOOM!, Psycho-Pass, CODE:BREAKER, K, and Jojo.

Last edited by crosswithyou on Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
well give current stream i got

muv luv (carryover from summer season)
Jormungand Perfect Order (loco koko s2)
Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun
Chuunibyou (really you want to take eye-patch girl home & want dub)
Btooom! (bombers version of survivor)
Busou Shinki
Onii-chan Dakedo Ai Sae Areba Kankeinai yo ne
Sukitte Iinayo. (slice of life bit remind of degrassi & let it be dub)
Girls und Panzer (come tanks & girls on it YES YES YES)
Medaka Box Abnormal (medaka is still john cena of anime)

besides give since nearing halfway stages eps so far YES YES YES been

chuunibyou, koko s2, girls und pander, sukitte, btooom, & onii-chan quite ok give.

besides busou is combine toy story, angelic layer, chobits, battle suits of IS anime, & that hamster.

then tonari just give still like he said she said story type.

overall when season wrap here my dub picks

1.chuunibyou
2.sukitte
3.btooom
4.girls panzer
5.onii-chan

besides already so know koko series so get dub.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
GokuMew2 wrote:

Shirokuma Cafe continues to delight. I went to the event over the weekend and it was great seeing the seiyuu act out a bunch of scenes. Now I know why Kondou Takayuki's Zougame (giant tortoise) is so popular among the cast. It's hilarious to see him voicing the character! Absolutely priceless! As was seeing Sakurai and Nakamura do the young Shirokuma and Grizzly scene, and seeing Kamiya stare intently at the penguins brought on stage. X3

Seething with jealousy right now. Lol Very Happy

Actually I saw someone post about this on tumblr and I wonder if that was you?
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
KLAC wrote:
well give current stream i got

muv luv (carryover from summer season)

Glad to see I'm not the only one still watching Total Eclipse. I almost dropped it somewhere in the middle but it finally picked up again and while I find Lt. Cui annoying, the series is doing a lot better now. Still not the best but enough to keep my interest. Looking forward to seeing more Leon.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Seething with jealousy right now. Lol Very Happy

Actually I saw someone post about this on tumblr and I wonder if that was you?

>D

If it was dgshibiki, yes.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Magi is important and relevant to me. That is all. :)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:

Because it's simply not possible for a woman to find herself in a situation that is completely outside her control? Because if she can't defy some one who is effectively a god in the world she's currently trapped in she's an utter weakling? Sure, okay.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Because it's simply not possible for a woman to find herself in a situation that is completely outside her control? Because if she can't defy some one who is effectively a god in the world she's currently trapped in she's an utter weakling? Sure, okay.

It might have worked if someone more intelligent had written it, but the premise and execution play out as described. "Save me from rape marriage, please, k thanks"
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

Yeah, because this totally never-ever happens in anime, and is totally an original, never before seen plot concept.

Just like how having a male protagonist that is amazing at everything is totally, utterly, completely unique.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
A few thoughts:

-Wonderful to see The Stream back. I was getting worried it wouldn't be running this season. I like the changes too. I see no reason to limit yourself to a pre-established length. Just go with what feels appropriate.

-I've been debating whether to get into SAO for a while. I never got in on it originally but I have been tempted by, if nothing else, the sheer amount of debate it has stirred up. If after all though it just comes to a kinda cop out conclusion and them moves on to a totally different arc...eh, that sounds pretty lame so maybe I'll just leave it.

-My Little Monster seems like the consensus sleeper hit for the season.

Anyway, what I've been watching:

Blast of Tempest - So far the show of the season. Looks great. Well paced and energetic. Characters are interesting. Some neat ideas too (although a lot of them haven't quite been brought to the forefront yet). Some issues with exposition but otherwise very, very solid. I realize this wasn't included in this week's review but episode 5 is especially strong.

Code:Breaker - I'm apparently the only one who likes this show. Nothing terribly original but very well executed so far. Solid, interesting characters. Nice music, a good sense of humour and a well managed tone that lets it be both dark and funny.

BTOOOM! - It's a shame about a couple of the rather skeevy moments in episode 2 because other than that this has been a really solid show. It may be a shlocky premise but it is very well executed thus far (especially the most recent episodes).

Psycho Pass - Neat ideas lurking in the background but thus far pretty contrived execution makes it mediocre. Enough solid, good looking action to save it in the short term though.

Robotics;Notes - I agree with Bamboo's assessment. If for some reason I was unable to continue watching this show I doubt I'd lose any sleep over it. Still, I've definitely found it moderately enjoyable. It's fun and has some nice moments in its own low-key way. I just hope we don't run into the weird time skips from episode 3 again.

From the New World - I'm still keeping up with this show because I feel like there are definitely some interesting ideas buried in here but thus far the writing has been pretty atrocious. They've done an awful job of structuring their apparent mysteries.

Magi - Tolerable enough and I suppose I even liked a few elements but I didn't find anything at all compelling about it. For the most part, I'm not seeing much here beyond a very forgettable action/adventure story. I never actually decided to drop it but I never got around to watching episode 3 which I think says something in itself.

K - Dropped. This is the most absurd load of nonsense I've seen in ages. I don't even know if they're being serious or trying to be tongue in cheek. It is actually sort of fun at times and has a nice energy to its more actiony bits but nothing to make it worth slogging through the other parts were it lapses into boring slice of life or worse, cat girl antics.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:30 am Reply with quote
Seriously, the lack of people watching the two best shows this season is just tragic.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:33 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
It might have worked if someone more intelligent had written it, but the premise and execution play out as described. "Save me from rape marriage, please, k thanks"

That's pretty much what it is. Your point? What do you expect Asuna to do about it? She's comatose in the real world and Sugou is holding her with his Admin powers in the game. Even if she escaped where would she go? He has total control over the system and could find her easily. While she's not exactly sitting around doing nothing anything she could do won't do her much good. She kinda doesn't have a choice outside of hoping Kirito will come for her.

Fencedude5609 wrote:
Yeah, because this totally never-ever happens in anime, and is totally an original, never before seen plot concept.

Never said it was. However you guys are acting like its inclusion automatically ruins everything.

The damsel in distress trope is really only bad when it happens repeatedly in the same work. If Asuna was getting kidnapped every Tuesday like Princess Peach, then she'd have to turn in her badass card. But it's only happened this once, and she couldn't have done anything to prevent the kidnapping. And as far as I know it hasn't happened again in any of the novels.

So yeah, you're all over reacting.
phoenixalia

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:39 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Seriously, the lack of people watching the two best shows this season is just tragic.

and which shows may those be that people not watching them is so tragic? :O
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:52 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

The damsel in distress trope is really only bad when it happens repeatedly in the same work. If Asuna was getting kidnapped every Tuesday like Princess Peach, then she'd have to turn in her badass card. But it's only happened this once, and she couldn't have done anything to prevent the kidnapping. And as far as I know it hasn't happened again in any of the novels.

So yeah, you're all over reacting.

No, SAO is horribly written.

Quote:
and which shows may those be that people not watching them is so tragic? :O

Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai! and Girls und Panzer
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 15