• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Manga that would be appropriate for a high school library.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
darkhappy1 wrote:

(Also, ZepysGirl totally missed Twilight in her short list of Yen Press novel adaptions. Laughing )

If she comes across a copy, she should just chuck it into a bonfire. High schoolers don't need that poisoning their minds. Rolling Eyes

Besides, the ART IS FUGLY. Crappy art, crappy characters, crappy crappy story....nope, nothing of value here!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:14 pm Reply with quote
ZepysGirl wrote:

They have a lot of them now, though. There's also Cirque du Freak, The Clique, Daniel X, and The Infernal Device. Next year, they're adding books for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, Interview With The Vampire, The Dark Hunters, The Way of Shadows, and Beautiful Creatures. They are really churning them out!

And Gossip Girl, which was a surprisingly fun little trilogy. It has some sex and drinking, but nothing worse than the average YA novel, so I'd say it was fine for a school.

I have to say that I'm very leery of the Miss Peregrine adaptation - the photos were such an integral part of the book that I feel like adding more illustrations would detract from it.

I'd say that, as long as we seem to be having a Yen Press Fest, Cynical Orange would be a good one - it should appeal to the angsty girl crowd and it has a genuinely good twist on the old story in there. Likewise Sarasa is great, although it seems to be stalled. For shounen, I'll agree that Soul Eater (and Soul Eater Not) would be winners, and I'd add Until Death Do Us Part, which should appeal to sci fi and action fans - if nothing else, Mamoru's sword and glasses should make some kid's day.
darknessblades

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:40 pm Reply with quote
well in my country: none would be allowed only when it is completely edited like with naruto: no harem no jutsu, no weapons, no blood, no jiriyas favorite views, with this half of the story is gone
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Having now actually read the first volume of Soul Eater (I'd previously read later volumes for reviewing purposes), I think I might actually have to take back my recommendation for it. There is a LOT of fan service in the first volume. I wouldn't say it's inappropriate for older teens but probably not for the school library.
rheiders

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:06 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Having now actually read the first volume of Soul Eater (I'd previously read later volumes for reviewing purposes), I think I might actually have to take back my recommendation for it. There is a LOT of fan service in the first volume. I wouldn't say it's inappropriate for older teens but probably not for the school library.

The series is doing well in my old high school's library. Of course, mine's the one that thought it would be a good idea to purchase Vampire Knight for the school. -.-; Also, in this case I think the violence and grotesque imagery are more concerning than the fanservice. It's surprisingly dark for a shounen manga.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:15 pm Reply with quote
I suppose it depends on the school. If they don't mind carrying more sexual or violent series, then it is a pretty good series ... eventually. I actually am really glad I read the later volumes first because I would not have continued based on vol 1 alone.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3