• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNual Halloween Pumpkin Carving Contest

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:02 am Reply with quote
Oh man, this wait always kills me lol XD Really looking forward to seeing what everyone did!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Wuntvor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote
labantnet wrote:
Clay carving hoops. All the professionals will tell you the same. Also hooked Exacto knifes.

I may have to try finding some. Right now I have the ultimate in fine carving gear. My parents are good friends with a dentist and he gave them tons of old used stainless steel dental picks. Believe me, they are AWESOME for carving fine details. Very Happy

I don't think I will win this year, but I did have fun carving B-Rabbit from Pandora Hearts. Twisted Evil

Anyone willing to post links to their stencils from this year or earlier pumpkins Question You won't be able to use them in future contests, but it would be awesome to be able to try making some of these pumpkins myself.

I have already done the following pumpkins in the past: Inuyasha, Hellsing, FMA, and Shugo Chara. I also carved an "L" into a pumpkin. You can guess what that was for. Most of the people coming to my house for candy, didn't have a clue.

Stencils are available on request.
RiderG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:54 pm Reply with quote
the natives are restless SakechanBD (myself included). are we gonna see the entries soon?
Sa-chan66

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:59 pm Reply with quote
@Wuntvor

I actually didn't use a stencil Anime smallmouth;;;

Just a page from the manga its from as a reference. I suppose having a stencil would be a lot easier, but I do things the hard way >.<

@RiderG- On the page it says they should have em up within a week. Tomorrow would be exactly a week so hopefully they will get them up tomorrow <3
Akukame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:15 am Reply with quote
Wuntvor wrote:
labantnet wrote:
Clay carving hoops. All the professionals will tell you the same. Also hooked Exacto knifes.

I may have to try finding some. Right now I have the ultimate in fine carving gear. My parents are good friends with a dentist and he gave them tons of old used stainless steel dental picks. Believe me, they are AWESOME for carving fine details. Very Happy

I actually using clay hoops aswell (Kemper tools). They're not cheap and I use them for other things. I don't know if I would recommend them if you're only using them for pumpkins, but if you can find some cheap knock offs, that would be good.

But, they're pretty easy to find. Pretty much every city will have a clay supplier that carries them or can get them for you. Usually the clay supplier isn't in a retail area, they're in an warehouse area/industrial park or something though, so you may not even know you have one nearby.
Mugimaru904

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:58 am Reply with quote
Now I know how everyone feels about waiting on the results. I have been checking this site constantly to see if the results are in, hoping to see how well I did and to see the other entries. Also, it's interesting to hear the different techniques and tools everyone used for their carvings, it gives me some ideas on what to do for next year's contest.
maddoghoek100

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote
I suspect that if you looked at this forum last year, you would see all the same folks stalking it. The waiting is definitely hard, but not as hard as thinking of a new hobby. I definitely need a hobby that exists for more than 2 weeks a year, hahaha.

I suppose i should just buy a couple of pounds of super sculpey and start doing busts or something.
RiderG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Sa-chan66 wrote:
@RiderG- On the page it says they should have em up within a week. Tomorrow would be exactly a week so hopefully they will get them up tomorrow <3

well technically it says the WINNERS would be decided within a week. doesn't say anything about simply SEEING the entries.
godzhila

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:08 am Reply with quote
i'm very eager to see all the pumpkins as well, it was pretty fun for me to carve mine. I really think to win it or not (mine's not that great), it was a fun thing to participate in.
dyzzispell

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I'm anxious to see everyone else's work. This is the first year I've entered the contest, and the first year I ever tried this kind of detailed carving. I know last year there were a lot of great entries, and I really want to see what everyone else did. Razz
RiderG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:12 pm Reply with quote
OMG still nothing?? Shocked i'm sorry but i think we've been forgotten. not even so much as a status report for days Neutral
Mugimaru904

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:57 pm Reply with quote
RiderG wrote:
OMG still nothing?? Shocked i'm sorry but i think we've been forgotten. not even so much as a status report for days Neutral

It's possible. I think there was a contest a few months back that never had the winners or entries posted, and was just forgotten. I hope that's not the case here. I spent a lot of time on my pumpkin, and I know others have too, so I am still hoping they get them posted soon.
RiderG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:05 pm Reply with quote
Mugimaru904 wrote:
I think there was a contest a few months back that never had the winners or entries posted, and was just forgotten.

now that's just unprofessional.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I cannot speak for the previous contest stated above, because I don't know which contest y'all are talking about, but the Halloween contest has not been forgotten.

There's no way to forget about it. I am up to my waist in DVDs here.
evilnekohilda

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 7:56 pm Reply with quote
RiderG wrote:
OMG still nothing?? 8O i'm sorry but i think we've been forgotten. not even so much as a status report for days :|

It took about this long last year too, didn't it? So the lack of update is disappointing but I don't think we've been forgotten just yet ;)

EDIT: And Bamboo has appeared just minutes before my post lol XD Any sort of time estimate for entry posting? :O
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 12