• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Former ADV Dubbing Studio Voices Halo Legends Project

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:16 pm Reply with quote
The only "modern" dub I can think of that I was like "man this is bad" is Ocean's (I believe it was the Alberta "Water" divisions) dub for Shadow Skills OVA. Good grief, acting was a optional on that one IMO Twisted Evil . As for ADV, I've not heard a solid clunker but I have heard that some of their really early shows (Nadesco era and before) do have some bad ones. Thing is, most of those are OOP so I think some ADV fans forget that there once was a time ADV was as hit and miss as other dubbing groups. [Modern = post Cowboy Bebop era dubbing, when things started to get better. There is a chance Shadow Skills OVA pre-dates this but I think it was put out after CB.]

Anyway, the thread is kind of wandering off track now (I actually had to check what the topic is suppose to be just now Laughing ). I'll probably pick up the Halo Legends Project just because Halo looks interesting (I don't even own a gaming console, so all I know about Halo is commercials and online chatter) and it is nice to see the Houston VA's get some work seeing many really need it.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:09 am Reply with quote
Prede wrote:

I have not heard either dubs (yet). But I've heard some complaints against the dub on Elfen Lied before, so I'll have to check that one out to see what everyone's problem with it is. As for Nadesico I heard that was quite a dub back in the day. I own it on DVD, so I'll have to get to watching it sooner, rather then later. But one bad actor does not = bad dub. It's not a total wipe if one actor is not up to par.

I don't know about Elfen Lied, but Nadesico was just painful to. Ruri's voice is all wrong, the names are mispronounced, the dialogue was a lot dumber, and they managed to make Yurika even more annoying than she was in the Japanese. Aughh. It was one of those where I turned on the dub out of curiousity, listened with horror for a few minutes, turned it back on to the Japanese, and never looked back. And it's definitely not a case of one bad actor ruining the whole thing - they were all awful.
Older ADV dubs tend to be really bad. Sorcerer Hunters was actually the worst I've heard, as they tended to change dialogue and episode plots dramatically towards the end of the series. Not cool.
I can't say anything about newer dubs though, as thankfully, the olden days of only having the dub-only VHS tapes available for rental are long gone.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Prede wrote:
Shiroi Hane wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
ADV is the only studio that's never put out a dub so bad that I had to turn to the Japanese track.

There are two that I can personally recall - Nadesico and Elfen Lied. I couldn't put my finger on anything specifically wrong with the latter, but for the former it was Ruri.

I have not heard either dubs (yet). But I've heard some complaints against the dub on Elfen Lied before, so I'll have to check that one out to see what everyone's problem with it is. As for Nadesico I heard that was quite a dub back in the day. I own it on DVD, so I'll have to get to watching it sooner, rather then later. But one bad actor does not = bad dub. It's not a total wipe if one actor is not up to par.

Personally, I found nothing wrong with the Elfen Lied dub. In fact, it's probably one of my favorite from ADV. One of the things I most enjoyed about it, was that they used a lot of lesser known VA's for the lead roles. That's not something you see to often from the Texas studios, or any of the studios for that matter.

As for Nadesico, I will admit that the dub isn't great. But you have to take in the context of the time it was made. It was fairly average, if not a bit above, for what was coming out at the time. Everyone regularly put out some stinkers back then.

Also, I can see how someone can feel that one bad actor or bad casting can ruin a whole dub. I felt the same way about Ouran. Caitlin Glass was so off as Haruhi, that it just drove me nuts. I had to switch to the Japanese track to continue watching it. Her performance was actually quite good, but her voice was just so ill suited to the character, that it threw everything off. The rest of the dub was pretty good, but I just couldn't get over that one character. That doesn't make it a bad dub, just a poorly cast one.
Quark

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:15 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

Also, I can see how someone can feel that one bad actor or bad casting can ruin a whole dub. I felt the same way about Ouran. Caitlin Glass was so off as Haruhi, that it just drove me nuts. I had to switch to the Japanese track to continue watching it. Her performance was actually quite good, but her voice was just so ill suited to the character, that it threw everything off. The rest of the dub was pretty good, but I just couldn't get over that one character. That doesn't make it a bad dub, just a poorly cast one.

So many people have complained about Caitlin Glass as Haruhi, which honestly, puzzles me to no end. I watched the first episode of Ouran dubbed with my friend, and out of all the voices, I thought hers was the best. The performance was good, and I thought her voice was similar to Maaya Sakamoto's (who is one of my favourite VAs) But then again, I have little to no experience with dubs, what I thought was good might differ from a dub fans idea of good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3