• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Zac Efron: Death Note Remake 'Not on the Front Burner'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
This is why I'm starting to hate the anime fandom, people always have to complain about something, especially since it's all rumor anyway, nothing official yet.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:15 am Reply with quote
I agree, a live-action American remake would be fine with me, with or without Zac Efron. I just would like it to be a good adaptation but Hollywood's not exactly been batting a thousand lately, especially with anime. I just hope if it does get made, they try to do a good job. Nice to know that Zac is at least familiar with the original story.

P.S. LOL at ikillchicken's trailer. Too true, unfortunately.
Ai no Kareshi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:13 am Reply with quote
mglittlerobin wrote:
This is why I'm starting to hate the anime fandom, people always have to complain about something, especially since it's all rumor anyway, nothing official yet.

This behaviour is by no means limited to the anime fandom.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:41 am Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
So let me get this straight: A lot of people posting here b**** about anime not being more mainstream, yet when one of the hottest actors of the moment expresses interest in making a live-action, Hollywood-budget adaptation of one of the most popular anime in America, these same people rag on it without knowing any more than, "ZOMG, Zac Efron wants to be Light Yagami!!!111"

I'd like to see this just to watch Efron shake off that goody-goody image and play someone dark.

Yeah, but those are just the negative people. Most of us see this as a good idea.

What I do not like is the chance that, even with the supposed belief that dark/mature content is hot in hollywood right now, things may get meaninglessly toned down.

As long as the character of Light (Or Luke) going mad with this god like power and being deceitful and manipulative and as said, going somewhat insane, is portrayed, I will be happy. Death Note to me is a GREAT character piece anime. I didn't follow it for much beyond watching the development of Light. He was the center of the show for me, seeing how someone could just lose all morals because of the notebook. It was amazing to me.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:55 am Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
So let me get this straight: A lot of people posting here b**** about anime not being more mainstream...

Who? Be specific. It's nonsense to suggest hypocrisy on the basis that individuals comments are not consistent with what you perceives as what 'people' think. Despite what some forums may lead you to believe, people on the internet are not all just one massive hive consciousness. Everyone has their own personal views. Not everyone wants to see anime more mainstream.

Quote:
...yet when one of the hottest actors of the moment expresses interest in making a live-action, Hollywood-budget adaptation of one of the most popular anime in America, these same people rag on it without knowing any more than, "ZOMG, Zac Efron wants to be Light Yagami!!!111"

Yes but Zac Efron is terrible. I wouldn't mind seeing anime become more mainstream but not at the expense of it's quality. Although...in my opinion Deathnote is already pretty terrible so maybe the two are perfect for each other.

Quote:
I'd like to see this just to watch Efron shake off that goody-goody image and play someone dark.

Yes and I'd like to watch Efron trampled by a herd of renegade Bison but that's probably not going to happen. Confused
care2care

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:16 am Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings. I see many pros and cons with this, but I'm definitely seeing it in a positive way.

First of all, I had absolutely NO idea that Zac Efron was a fan of anything anime related but that probably just goes to show that public interest > personal interest when you're on every issue of Tiger Beat ever made ever.

Second of all, his looks definitely fit the part of Light Yagami although the roles he's been playing so far do not. Would he be able to move from a high school boy dancing on tables in the cafeteria to an extremely bright young man with a twisted and evil sense of justice? That's where I'm not so sure.

If this live action movie is actually true, I'm going. I don't care what anybody says! hahahaha

And to those who dislike Efron, just remember the end of Death Note: spoiler[MMM WHATCH-- MMM WHATCH-- MMM WHATCH-- MMM WHATCHA SAY THAT YOU ALWAYS MEANT WELL]
Sirenlove

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote
noriko-takaya wrote:
Sirenlove wrote:
I actually didn't like who they cast as Light in the live action. I thought he was too old for the part.

Tatsuya Fujiwara was about the right age to play the part he did in the movie. In real life he was only 24 when the film was made and he was playing a college student, not a high school student as portrayed in the anime.

Except he looked 30!
DeathNote_L

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:47 am Reply with quote
I can't even. It has been confirmed.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:22 am Reply with quote
Sea Lion wrote:
yet when one of the hottest actors of the moment

I'm curious, is Zac effron really that hot these days? It's been like years since this thing was announced.

Hell, how many people would even remember Death Note was a thing by the time a movie does maybe get made.

EDIT: Well then, this thread's from 2009. That explains alot.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:26 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this is over 3 years old. Pretty much old and irrelevant news at this point.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4