• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When/how do you like to buy your DVD's?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chaos_Leagu3

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:44 am Reply with quote
Let me re-iterate.

Do you like to have a collection of anime DVD's? Especially in the special edition boxes, with cool booklets, posters etc?

And if so, do you like to buy the whole set after watching 1 or 2 episodes on TV, internet etc?

OR

Do you watch the whole series on TV, then go out and buy the whole series?

I don't like the second option because I never end up watching it on the DVD's I bought, which is why I tend to only watch a couple of eps to know if it's worth buying.

What about you?
PiercingArrow

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:16 am Reply with quote
i look for trailers and reviews 1st to see if it was good. and yea sometimes i always check the 1st episode. and 1 more thing, i always go to a one certain anime shop around here at my place and i know the owner of the store so its really easy for me to buy anime dvds by asking him if he saw the series before or if its good seies
batou37

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:15 am Reply with quote
Ill usually start a series, and if I really like it and know that either a.) i'll watch it more than once, or b.) I really get into it because of the animation or artwork and decide I want to see it in higher quality then I will stop watching it and wait for the dvd to come out. There are also sometimes when I'll just be looking through dvd sites like rightstuf or on amazon and I see a boxset or something that I can't pass up because of price Ill blind buy it if the summary sounds good or if i've heard of it before (just did this with the Genshiken season 1 last week in fact.) Amazon especially as they have had some great deals lately like the claymore blu ray complete box set (although it doesn't come out until feb 16th) which retails for 69.99 they have for 38.99. I just try to make sure its from Amazon themselves instead of the marketplace on there to reduce the chance of a boot. Unfortunately I do not have any local stores that sell anime other than best buy and you sure cant get advice there.
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:05 am Reply with quote
I read reviews of particular titles and I also set a price point. I usually order anime online in boxed sets.
Penguin_Factory

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:50 am Reply with quote
Chaos_Leagu3 wrote:

Do you like to have a collection of anime DVD's? Especially in the special edition boxes, with cool booklets, posters etc?

Hell yeah Cool

My collection isn't large, but I love getting fancy box sets and stuff and sticking them on a shelf.

Quote:
And if so, do you like to buy the whole set after watching 1 or 2 episodes on TV, internet etc?

OR

There's no anime on TV where I live. I usually watch a few episodes of new stuff that comes out in fansubs before they get licensed, then base my decisions on that. For example, I know I'll buy Eden of the East when it comes out.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 am Reply with quote
I have rule. Never ever download a show/movie that is avilible comercialy in R1. So I do not 'test the waters' with illegal downloads. Unfortunately, With all the legit streaming shows these days I've yet to follow shows regularly online. So I usually end up cold purchessing a lot of shows on DVD. To mixed results, but usually it works out.

Also, any show that I do watched fan subbed pre-licenced that gets licenced I will buy on R1 immediatly.

On box format, I prefer no-nonsense boxes for single releases, and slim complete collections.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote
Chaos_Leagu3 wrote:
Do you like to have a collection of anime DVD's?

Yes, if only to retain the availability to watch them at a later time, long after the rights have been lost and the show will no longer be available. Legally, anyway.

Quote:
Especially in the special edition boxes, with cool booklets, posters etc?

Absolutely not. This crap is pointless to me as it offers no additional value. If I wanted these things, I'd rather have the external option to purchasing them, rather than paying for them in the only edition available to me.

I wish the industry would pick a standard. Thinpaks (double sided would be fabulous as FUNimation did with Save Me Lollipop) only. Chipboard boxes sold separately.

Quote:
Do you like to buy the whole set after watching 1 or 2 episodes on TV, internet etc?

If I've enjoyed those episodes, most certainly. That's how I discovered Aria and a few other series.
However, for You're under arrest, that's not economically viable for me at $9.99 per DVD.

Quote:

Only two series apply: Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star. I bought the Perfect Sessions of the former at BestBuy and the box set of the latter at a garage sale. I also want several non-anime series which aired on Cartoon Network, such as Ed, Edd, & Eddy, as well as the entire collection of Kim Possible.

Quote:
What about you?

Today, I'll be converting the rest of my collection to thinpak as my latest order just arrived yesterday which contains 180 more cases.
Then, once finished, I'm going to watch Ikki Tousen for all the glory fanservice can deliver me in 13 episodes.
Smile
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote
If I was able to enjoy an entire series while it was still on the fansub scene, then I certainly would take the opportunity to buy it whenever it was licensed and available for sale. But in the case of long-running titles (Monster and Nana), I usually wait out until the entire series becomes available on DVD. Considering there have been some instances where anime don't have their entire series available due to poor sales (which was the case with Kodocha and Full Moon wo Sagashite), I want to be sure the entire series is available for me to buy instead of getting something that's only partly complete. In nearly all instances nowadays, I tend to buy an entire box set of the series on DVD through Rightstuf, E-Bay and Amazon. The two latter are quite an asset for me at hunting down titles that have been out-of-print for a while and you would never get on Rightstuf in their entirety nowadays (Haibane Renmei, first two Tenchi Muyo OAV seasons, Key the Metal Idol, Video Girl Ai).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
I have rule. Never ever download a show/movie that is avilible comercialy in R1. So I do not 'test the waters' with illegal downloads.

My behaviour is somewhat different to this. I will stream fansubs as a means of testing, but only for titles available to purchase on DVD. Thus, I approach legally-streamed titles which have yet to receive a DVD licence with some hesitation. I enjoyed the first episode of White Album on Crunchyroll, though I shall abstain from further previewing in case it never becomes licensed on DVD.
As a result of such behaviour, I cannot attest to know anything about currently-airing titles in Japan.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FaytLein

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote
I have a pretty big collection, a little over 2000 discs right now and display about 60% of them, since I currently don't have enough room to display everything I have.

As for buying shows, I tend to have a couple of buying patterns that I tend to follow when picking and choosing.

1. PRICE

When I used to buy things from Best Buy, I had a standing rule, not to spend more than 20 per disc, or 40 for artboxes. Since the advent of half season sets, generally no more than 40 bucks a set, unless its something I know I absolutely want. With buying used stuff on Amazon, I can usually get away with spending half of that for DVDs

2. CONTENT

I'm usually a pretty wide interest guy, so if something grabs my fancy, I may look into some of the background information about the show (I wouldn't have bought Ouran if I hadn't done a little bit of research on it) but a few genres are pretty much get a free pass when it comes to buying. First are robot shows. Generally, if it has robots in it, I'm there. Second would probably be certain action type shows, medieval fantasy and shows based on manga that I enjoy.

Pretty much, I look at upcoming releases, decide which ones I might like, then go from there.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:27 pm Reply with quote

I usually do this.

Why I buy... Being able to watch it is never really a motivating factor for me purchasing a show. I've got boxes for Naruto and Bleach that I never watch because it's quicker for me to go on CrunchyRoll or Hulu and watch it there and the picture quality isn't any worse, plus I don't have to spend time switching the audio track and turning on subtitles. I buy because I've already seen and enjoyed the series and I feel like I owe somebody money for it. For that reason, I never buy used.

I like having a DVD/BD collection, but packaging and inserts don't motivate me at all. Price and availability are the key factors.

Price... I won't pay more than $25-45 for anything that's only 13-26 episodes. Shopping on Amazon makes that the norm for most shows though. The only show that's giving me problems at that price point is Noir and Hayate no Gotoku.

Availability... sometimes if a show isn't available in the US yet (Nana) or if I start off by reading the manga (D. Gray-Man) or the anime stops but the manga continues (FullMetal Alchemist before Brotherhood was announced and Gunslinger Girl), i'll just buy the manga for the content that isn't available on video yet.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I do have a pretty decent collection of anime titles on DVD. However I usually don't really bother with special editions/art boxes.

I used to buy a lot more anime, but with a somewhat tighter budget, I am only trying to finish certain shows right now.

I have actually sold off quite a few of my former collection. Mostly because after watching them once, I did not think I would watch them again.

When do I buy them? Whenever I can. If they are on sale, then great, if not then I usually will get them anyways. I tend to go to an actual store (Best Buy/Hastings) to purchase. However I have also used Right Stuf/Amazon in the past to finish certain series, or get hard to find stuff.

Most of the shows that I have, I have seen parts of, or I heard good things about them from internet sites (like this one). Or they are sequels/tie-ins to other shows that I already loved. I also do rent some stuff as well (Netflix/Hastings) to see if I want to buy it in the future.

I have a very anti-download/fan-sub mentality. Because I am a firm believer in supporting the US anime industry as much as I can. Hopefully I can help companies stay in business, and not shut down like Geneon/CPM did.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:08 pm Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello's post gave me a headache. Ugh.

Quote:

Dude, the only (well, maybe the biggest) reason I started buying anime was because of the LE boxes; not the extra crap like posters, CDs and sketches, though. I always considered myself more of a collector than and anime fan. I'm probably 51:49 collector to anime fan. I've actually given up on Anime Legends and cheap repackages if there are singles and an art box to be found or a good, sturdy chipboard thinpak like my Nadescio or Kare Kano sets. The only time I'll ignore that rule is if the rerelease isn't too bad looking and way cheaper (Funi's Samurai Champloo for example) or is remastered like Funi's Slayers and Media Blaster's Magic Knight Rayearth remaster sets they're going to release...eventually.

Of course a tin overthrows all. If there's a tin or a steelbook out there, I'm doing whatever I can to get it.

I'm currently in the process of finding replacements for my current AL sets and cheap-o ADV rereleases because they're starting to become an eyesore and they have art boxes as well.

Quote:

I'm mostly a blind buyer. I hear about a show, read they synopsis and make a decision. The occasional trailer viewing happens as well. If I like it, I'll add it to my list. If I don't, I keep it stored in my cerebral filing cabinet if it keeps coming up and it may warm up to me (ala Princess Tutu). Although, now that Funi does a lot of streaming, I'll watch a show I'm really on the fence about and see what happens. Sometimes I'll love the show so much I have to own it (Ouran and School Rumble), sometimes I'll throw it on the backburner (Murder Princess) and sometimes I'll stop after a few episodes to buy it and watch in better quality (Romeo x Juliet).

There have also been several cases where theres a show I'm on the fence about, but bought blind because the price was way too good to pass up. Death Note, Moribtio, My-Hime and some others fall into that category.

Quote:

I can't stand trying to watch anime on TV. Reasons:
Arrow It'll be on at an insane time and like watching on my own time.
Arrow It looks so inferior comapared to DVDs. I'm no videophile either.
Arrow When I do catch it, it'll be on like episode 12 and I have no idea what's happening.
Arrow I hate commercials. That's also why I don't watch movies on TBS or USA or whatever.
I didn't mind anime on TV when I was younger because I could come home from school and watch Sailor Moon. Now, I work in the mornings and anime airs at 2:00 AM in the morning or 11:00 at night. Not cool.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Chaos_Leagu3 wrote:
Let me re-iterate.

I do have a relatively small collection (if you are curious what I have, go here: http://theanimenetwork.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,65/catid,7/func,view/id,29/#250). I tend to buy thinpacks because they are cheaper. I'm still buying somewhat old series, so I can find them for $30-40 on TRSI and in Best Buy. I do buy single sets when they are well priced (all of the ones I have gotten from the TRSI bargain bin). The only extras that I really like are on the DVDs, like Madlax's Conversations with SSS or English VA interviews. So thinpacks are usually fine.

One thing I wanted to add: I WILL NOT buy long series (Bleach, Naruto, Inuyasha) because I hate not owning the entire set right away. I don't normally like series longer than 50~ eps.

Quote:

OR

A bit of both. I've bought some series after watching them on Adult Swim or on The Anime Network VOD. But I've had a few blind buys (EX: Noir and NADESICO) and they usually turn out fine. The only series I can think of where I only watched 1-2 eps before I bought it was Vandread, where I watched it on Funi's site (fansubs - do not want). I do like to check a review or talk to people on TAN to get their opinions.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:42 pm Reply with quote
I am a collector by nature. If I see something I like I have a tendency to try to collect it in the best format I can get it. If I simply like an anime I will get an affordable copy. If I really love an anime then I will go for the special editions and all the merchandising stuff.

I watch all of an anime before deciding on a purchase. When I first started collecting anime I went on recommendations and reviews and 1 or 2 episodes. The result was anime in my collection that I either despise or, despite its quality, have no desire to ever rewatch. Since I want my DVD collection to be filled with shows I want to watch at least occasionally, the duds were expensive failures. I have also discovered that there are a great many anime that look great in their early episodes and then crash and burn so horribly you will curse the entire production. So I find a way to watch all of it and then make a decision. This approach has saved me lots of money and sanity and allows me to remain an anime fan and an avid collector.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3