• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
View on Moe.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
kawaiibunny3 wrote:
Hm. well. I don't really mind moe characters.

But if the entire female cast is moe, then I probably won't like the show, there's only so much feebleness and daintiness I can handle. But if one or two girls (or boys) that fit into the moe category I don't mind.

I also think the designs and art for moe girls are cute (of course there are exceptions to this), like for some eroge and what not. As long as they don't open their mouths, I don't care.

Favorite Moe girl? Rena from Higurashi & Hotaru from Sailor Moon (she still counts right?)

Yey someone gave a sane reply.
Would prefer you use typically moe character, rather than "moe girl/boy". If you say they are moe that automatially means you personally like the character enough to watch the series just because it contains them.
Quote:
However, I don't know, to me Moe takes a step back. Its almost always poorly animated, and seems to be lolicon dressed as innocent girls in school. Its geared towards kids in middle school and/or highschool it seems.

Most big "moe shows" are incredibly well animated, generaly having the highest budgets (excepting mecha). It's aimed at otaku (35+), who won't buy a dvd if it has so much as a single frame baddly animated. Kids do not have enough money to buy $500-2000 DVD/BD sets. There is also the class of lower budget show, generaly harem/fanservice orientated which sell figures in large numbers rather than disks (e.g (infamously) Nanoha), these are generaly regarded as fanservice shows rather than "moe".
4nBlue

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:07 am Reply with quote
torreyjs wrote:
stories involving someone whos afraid to tell their crush they like them or don't get invited to a dance or are afraid of failing the next big test in poetry class.

That sounds more like a shoujo series or a love comedy.

Quote:
I don't know if I wanted to I could sit here and type so much on why I dislike moe I could hit the text limit on a post here for this forum. So to keep it short and not shooting off in a million different directions like the Naruto storyline, I dislike its loli geared towards kids - highschool theme. And 99% of moe anime is all girl, because that sells to pervs in japan basically or young kids who will buy the licensed products related to the anime - which is how any moe actually makes money, those creepy half hentai body pillows and posters etc.

I totally failed at understanding the points you try to make.

High school theme = lolicon, I just fail to see connection here. If you complained about many moe themed shows characters not looking their age I could understand, but you seem to be making some kind connection between high school setting and lolicon which just makes no sense.

Yes, many moe shows have large female casts, but exaggerated numbers like "99% of moe anime" are false and don't help in making your point.

Every anime (except few big titles and artsy stuff) depend on merchandise sales. Many moe anime probably less than mecha shows (they are all too often long ads for kids toys, plamo and yaoi pairings).

Do you really believe that it's the kids buying those 100$ pillow sheets?

Quote:
My big annoyance for moe is what I fear can happen. If you look at what is getting released this year in Japan the list of titles is shrinking and more of it is moe to try and make money. Hopefully 10 years down the road our anime doesnt consist of 5 or 6 new titles a year with all but one not being moe. That would be the total death of anime.

The number of anime is shrinking because of this wacky thing called recession, that's hitting all of the anime's markets pretty hard. Otaku can cut back from other expenses in order to get their favorite shows, but most casual fans will not do the same and even otaku will pass many merchandise they would have otherwise bought. And it's not like there always has to be more shows next season, maybe the animation studios are saving their limited resources for fall or summer seasons.

Even if moe fad passes there will a surge in new anime when the next fad appears (my bets are on shows aimed at fujoshi), and moe fans will become jaded old timers who complain how anime used to be good and how the new anime is all the same shit and doesn't cater to their tastes.

Reaper gI wrote:
There is also the class of lower budget show, generaly harem/fanservice orientated which sell figures in large numbers rather than disks (e.g (infamously) Nanoha), these are generaly regarded as fanservice shows rather than "moe".

Are we talking about the same Nanoha. The best selling season (Strikers) had no fanservice that I can remember outside of few transformation scenes. Also Nanoha is very much moe (Nanoha won the 2005 Saimoe tournament).
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:

Reaper gI wrote:
There is also the class of lower budget show, generaly harem/fanservice orientated which sell figures in large numbers rather than disks (e.g (infamously) Nanoha), these are generaly regarded as fanservice shows rather than "moe".

Are we talking about the same Nanoha. The best selling season (Strikers) had no fanservice that I can remember outside of few transformation scenes. Also Nanoha is very much moe (Nanoha won the 2005 Saimoe tournament).

Season 1 has a lot of fanservice.
There's heavily emplied yuri in striker S and a few bath/shower scenes.
Nanoha is often consdered as a mecha anime. *mutters something about gundam clone and half the cast being exported out of Super Robot Wars*

It was an example of the lower budget and basically designed to sell figures type anime. It is infamous for having a lot of chara goods, mostly higher quality figures.

I was also considering things like Omamori Himari, which is harem/fanservice but contains moe elements. That type tend to be regarded as harem rather than moe-pandering.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10