• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Tales Told

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Exactly. Japanese DLC is generally cosmetic stuff. You can dress up your characters or whatever, but its not entire new stories or levels like you'll generally see in Western DLC.

I was totally satisfied with my cat ears purchase for a buck in Tales of Graces. I never took them off of the girls.

Serah bikini costume for FFXIII-2 as well. Japan knows what's up.

Yeah, that was one of the best 3 dollars or however much it was I've spent as well. I couldn't imagine taking her out of that bikini once I bought it.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Crispy45 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:
You have to take into account that most of it is already voiced with the exception of the new arts, Patty and Flynn stuff.

Also, Graces F only sold around 80K and that had more voicing in it than Vesperia is needed. What really saved the Tales series is the DLC for costumes. Buying all costumes is around 200 dollars per game and even if only half the people who bought Graces F bought it, it's still enough to localize more. Vesperia did not have DLC that was not already in-game. However the PS3 version has over 80 new costumes for all the characters, that's more costumes than Graces F has. So if they charged the same amount for the costumes as they did Graces F, it would easily surpass Graces F's sales in terms of both DLC and initial sales.

Jesus Christ...and people say only American companies have absurd amounts of DLC.

But Japanese DLC tends to be cosmetic stuff like costumes. American DLC is like cut content from the game and stuff. >_> Cosmetic stuff takes no development time away from a game.

American DLC is not all cut content. You have to realize that games run on very strict developmet timelines. Before they even start on makig the first level they've already planned out everything that's gonna be in the game. Sometimes content simply CANNOT be finished within the deadline without sacrificing something else. So it's dropped. But, sometimes, they continue working on it and finish it after the game has already gone gold. So they offer it as DLC.

Seriously, the common gamer picture of a game developer as some mustache-twirling set of villians going "Hahahah! We shall cut out half the game and charge the players for it!" is just ridiculous. Nearly all DLC is planned before they even begin working on the game. It's highly useful when they have a strict deadline but don't want to just abandon content altogether.

You do realize your comment makes game designers look even worse. You basically are saying DLC is already planned before the game is made. Most people will ask then why is not just part of the game, if you have it planned, build it into the game that is already costing gamers 60 bucks. At least you can justify if the idea comes later, because they did not think of it at the time of the game.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow. That old ad could never make it to print in 2012; who makes video game magazines these days, anyway?

I'm betting that the phallic monster the guy was battling wasn't a coincidence, either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3