• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agent355

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:40 pm Reply with quote
@CharredKnight: okay, I was under the impression that the souls within Bradley are still fighting it out occasionally, but if one won out a while ago and has been dominant, that's interesting.

The other humunculi seem to be a mix of souls (especially Envy, as creepily portrayed in this episode).

I'm really glad I saw this episode dubbed, because I think some of the technical details may have gone over my head if I'd only seen it subbed. The info on how alchemy works, the ways humunculi can be created (the Envy way and the Bradley way), Father's motivations, and the almost throw-away but super important reason Ed can't save Al's body...yet. Important stuff.

And yes, all extremely different from the first anime (which I loved, too. No hatin').

All the VA's are doing a great job (especially Maxey. Loved her in Baccano!, love her now, want to hear her in more stuff).

Does anyone know who they got to play Olivier Armstrong?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
No, Funimation hasn't announced any of the later characters, though Chris Rager has stated that his playing Zanpano. They usually don't announce cast members until the day before the episode airs. They might mention it at a convention though.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I believe it was leaked that Stephanie Young, the English voice of Nico Robin in One Piece, will be playing Olivier Mira Armstrong. I could be wrong, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Apparently here's where it's leaked, a couple of minutes in Vic mentions that one new character his liked is the one which Stephanie did and "sister" is mentioned immediatly after. So apparently Stephanie Young is playing Olivier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UdyLL1tgMo
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Apparently here's where it's leaked, a couple of minutes in Vic mentions that one new character his liked is the one which Stephanie did and "sister" is mentioned immediatly after. So apparently Stephanie Young is playing Olivier.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UdyLL1tgMo

Ooh, yay, I love her voice on One Piece, if it really is her, I'll be happy. I haven't heard her in a lot.
Mister V

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I've just watched the first three episodes... does this get better at all? I mean, I didn't really like the first series, mostly because of the whining (and subsequently the ending); but at least it had an imaginative approach to its world and magic system, a story worth following, and art that was... fine, for its time.
Fast forward a few years, and what do I see - simplistic art, overuse of annoying chibification for mostly unfunny comedy; overall, it feels like it's become more terribly shounen, abandoning the seriousness that was very appropriate for the original series (even if it was overdramatised sometimes). Bones can do a lot better... to be fair, I can't judge the story yet, which is why I'm asking - does it get better?
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:59 pm Reply with quote
It is a shounen as far as demographic goes no matter how terrible it may sound to some.
The superdeformed comedy looks were standard fare in the first FMA, at least until the halfway mark of the anime. Afterall how else can we get visual range of emotions for a character like Al if not with over the top SD.
The over-seriousness of FMA mainly took place in the later episodes not the ones based on the manga. However the manga and brotherhood are perfectly capable to delivering drama.

If you can watch episode 2 of FMA:B and still come to the conclusion that this incarnation has abandoned seriousness then for you I can say the show will not get better.
Unicorn_Blade

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I've just watched the first three episodes... does this get better at all? I mean, I didn't really like the first series, mostly because of the whining (and subsequently the ending); but at least it had an imaginative approach to its world and magic system, a story worth following, and art that was... fine, for its time.
Fast forward a few years, and what do I see - simplistic art, overuse of annoying chibification for mostly unfunny comedy; overall, it feels like it's become more terribly shounen, abandoning the seriousness that was very appropriate for the original series (even if it was overdramatised sometimes). Bones can do a lot better... to be fair, I can't judge the story yet, which is why I'm asking - does it get better?

I am actually quite a big fan of the first series. Brotherhood struggled a lot at first because they needed to condense all the action from the first 26 eps of the first one into like 10 not to get people bored... And they got me bored allright. I really thought I would drop it, but I really liked the manga and story it told, and wanted to see how it would turn out.

I personally think it really gets better with episodes 15/16 and up, and gets really good after episode 30'ish, at least ot got a lot better to me. First of all the pace gets much more even. It hardly ever gets so emotional as the first series, and the comedy is just something you get used to, it fits in once you have seen more of it. The story is more complex, but it does not start to unfold properly till later on. For my part I would recommend giving it another go (although I dont know whetherw you will have enough patience to get to the good bits, or whether you would actually find them any good at all). Smile

Last edited by Unicorn_Blade on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aylinn

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:18 pm Reply with quote
Mister V, we share a similar opinion about the first FMA, I'm also not a big fan of the first season.

I have seen 20 episodes of FMA:B and it doesn't get better. Brotherhood is a let-down, it tries to be drama and comedy at the same time, which ruins both. Some individual elements of FMA:B are interesting, but they are put together in such a lousy way that they didn't impress me at all. The first FMA does a better job at handling serious and shocking situations, for example: the chimera-girl situation and Meas's death. In FMA:B all of them feel forced, I mean the drama feels forced. The first FMA does not have a good plot, especially the ending could have been better, but FMA:B fails to deliver the plot from the very beginning.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:30 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
For the first time (but not the last) this anime has surpassed the manga with the scene where the gate closes and then Ed PUNCHES THE GATE OPEN! My god is that scene badass!

I just saw the episode tonight (OK, OK, early this morning); I have to agree: The scene is awesome!!! I also liked the way the closing song segued from the last few seconds of the episode to the closing credits.
rho

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:49 am Reply with quote
Now, Adult Swim... when the hell are you going to air episode 27!? It's definitely dubbed, so I really wonder what's holding them back. Kekkaishi can definitely go on hiatus, it's in fact at just the right time. Air it alongside new Bleach episodes at midnight, and you've got good ratings.

Really makes no sense..
DragonFire212

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I'm definitely no expert on anime, and while this series is my favorite so far, I won't pretend it's perfect. I watched this on AS until EP 25 or 26, at which point I couldn't take the suspense and switched to the subbed version - and watched the rest of the series in a weekend Shocked. It took me a while to get used to the Japanese voice actors as I like the English ones - but I'm glad I didn't wait around!

Charred Knight wrote:
I never really saw that as overexplaining, all of that information comes into play, and it's better to make sure your audience has that information. You just can't have explanations that are like one line long in the middle of the series or people are not going to get it.

We know what Father plans (to surpass God and become a perfect being), we know how his going to do (steal everyone in Amestris' soul), we now know how the homunculi where created (using the souls of the population of Xerxes). All of that information was given to us in a logical way (Ed's a genius and knew what the symbols that Father tried to hide meant).

This is one of the things I like the most about brotherhood. I love suspense & plot twists, but I like everything important to be clearly explained at some point. Some people don't like this style, though.

Aylinn wrote:

I have seen 20 episodes of FMA:B and it doesn't get better. Brotherhood is a let-down, it tries to be drama and comedy at the same time, which ruins both. Some individual elements of FMA:B are interesting, but they are put together in such a lousy way that they didn't impress me at all. The first FMA does a better job at handling serious and shocking situations, for example: the chimera-girl situation and Meas's death. In FMA:B all of them feel forced, I mean the drama feels forced. The first FMA does not have a good plot, especially the ending could have been better, but FMA:B fails to deliver the plot from the very beginning.

This series may not be your cup of tea. Personally, I find the comedy provides contrast for the drama, making it more intense. It's a little much in the first 10-15 episodes, then gets toned down SOME - still there, though (it feels less forced and more "normal" human interaction to me in the later episodes).

That being said, the main plot doesn't really become evident until ep 26/28. You still haven't even met many significant characters yet. "not delivering the plot form the very beginning" may be a style you don't like, but it was done to build the characters & the universe, before you get wrapped up in the plot. As Charred Knight said, this information comes into play in the future - so it's not "filler". I re-watched the series a few weeks ago, and was shocked at how much relevant stuff I missed - especially the first episode.

rho wrote:
Now, Adult Swim... when the hell are you going to air episode 27!? It's definitely dubbed, so I really wonder what's holding them back. Kekkaishi can definitely go on hiatus, it's in fact at just the right time. Air it alongside new Bleach episodes at midnight, and you've got good ratings.

Really makes no sense..

EP27 is a recap episode (at least in the sub) - 28 is where you pick up from the end of 26. Hopefully they show them back-to-back or something. As for why Adult Swim does what they do? who knows. I got tired of waiting a long time ago.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:08 pm Reply with quote
DragonFire212 wrote:
I'm definitely no expert on anime, and while this series is my favorite so far, I won't pretend it's perfect. I watched this on AS until EP 25 or 26, at which point I couldn't take the suspense and switched to the subbed version - and watched the rest of the series in a weekend Shocked. It took me a while to get used to the Japanese voice actors as I like the English ones - but I'm glad I didn't wait around!
[...]
As for why Adult Swim does what they do? who knows. I got tired of waiting a long time ago.

1. Welcome to the forums.
  2. You echo my sentiments exactly!!!
  3. This is just hearsay, but it's my understanding that Cartoon Network shows anime in spite of the fact that they would get significantly higher ratings with reruns of American shows.
    Furthermore (again, this is hearsay) they like to repeatedly broadcast a cycle of early episodes of a series if they think that it will generate more interest.
    Also, (again, more hearsay) they never broadcast more than two new episodes a night.

I don't know just how much of point #3 is true or false.
Scormio

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Soooo, I checked [as]'s schedule for next Saturday, and they're re-rerunning through FMA:Brotherhood, or at least starting to again. Not that I'm complaining about getting anime on TV, but do they just not have past ep26 licensed? The DVD is due out soon for part 3, which would be from ep27-39 if I'm not mistaken, so are they just waiting for it to be released before they start airing new ones?
Aylinn

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:47 pm Reply with quote
DragonFire212 wrote:

This series may not be your cup of tea. Personally, I find the comedy provides contrast for the drama, making it more intense. It's a little much in the first 10-15 episodes, then gets toned down SOME - still there, though (it feels less forced and more "normal" human interaction to me in the later episodes).

That being said, the main plot doesn't really become evident until ep 26/28. You still haven't even met many significant characters yet. "not delivering the plot form the very beginning" may be a style you don't like, but it was done to build the characters & the universe, before you get wrapped up in the plot. As Charred Knight said, this information comes into play in the future - so it's not "filler". I re-watched the series a few weeks ago, and was shocked at how much relevant stuff I missed - especially the first episode.

When I wrote that FMA:B fails to deliver the plot from the very beginning I meant the storytelling in general. The methods used to tell the story are, as you noticed, not my cup of tea. In my book, the comedy is too noisy and the drama is too melodramatic. To be frank, I had the same problem with the first series, albeit to a lesser extent. What ruined FMA:Brootherhood for me is the rough transition between the comedy and the drama. Obviously, there are people, who find it to be an acceptable way of making the story more intense, but this method, used frequently, simply puts me off.

Even if it is as you wrote, that these episodes build the characters & the universe, I’m not interested; these episodes I have seen didn’t make me care enough about anything or anyone to continue. The pros are outweighed by the cons. Did I lose something? Perhaps, but there must be plenty of stories in this world, stories done in a way that appeals to me, that’s why I’m not going to waste my time on something that I don’t enjoy in the slightest.

I don’t say it’s a bad series, I just try to explain why I don’t like it, and why I will not finish it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 24 of 28