• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Ends Its Download-to-Own Service

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Just an aside: I'm not sure I would classify groups that exclusively rip content -- either streams or videos -- as "fansub groups."
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
How will certain fansub groups (mainly HorribleSubs and CrunchySubs) be able to continue to rip CrunchyRoll's videos after this service goes away?

Well you are assuming they still won't be able to get the raws. That is a very big assumption. Also, in the small case that you may be right, and they can't get raws, there are several ways to rip a stream. And no I won't tell you.

Why would I want to know how to rip streams? lol

Takeyo wrote:
Just an aside: I'm not sure I would classify groups that exclusively rip content -- either streams or videos -- as "fansub groups."

I only called them fansub groups because they are listed as such over at AniDB.
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:29 pm Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:
I have a question.

How will certain fansub groups (mainly HorribleSubs and CrunchySubs) be able to continue to rip CrunchyRoll's videos after this service goes away?

As for my opinion on this news, I think it sucks, especially for people who have slow PCs/Laptops and therefore can't watch videos online via web browsers.

Downloading the videos makes it a whole lot better for them, especially if they can play the videos just fine via media players that don't require an internet connection in order to play downloaded videos.

1) The fansubbers were taking subtitles off CR not necessarily video, and from the streams not this service. As a general rule if you can play it on a PC you can rip it (the main reason for DRM hate, it doesn't stop people who want to copy stuff it only causes annoying problems for those trying to use it normally)
2) Almost no shows had this service (ones from ADV, Time of Eve, Strike Witches had it )
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:05 pm Reply with quote
babynaruto1 wrote:

I suppose it's splitting hairs, but AniDB just labels them, "groups," lumping fansubbers and rippers together.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote
Reaper gI wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
I have a question.

As for my opinion on this news, I think it sucks, especially for people who have slow PCs/Laptops and therefore can't watch videos online via web browsers.

Downloading the videos makes it a whole lot better for them, especially if they can play the videos just fine via media players that don't require an internet connection in order to play downloaded videos.

1) The fansubbers were taking subtitles off CR not necessarily video, and from the streams not this service. As a general rule if you can play it on a PC you can rip it (the main reason for DRM hate, it doesn't stop people who want to copy stuff it only causes annoying problems for those trying to use it normally)
2) Almost no shows had this service (ones from ADV, Time of Eve, Strike Witches had it )

1.) I assumed they were ripping both the subtitles and the actual videos themselves from CR.

2.) I did not know this, thanks for the info.

Takeyo wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:

I suppose it's splitting hairs, but AniDB just labels them "groups," lumping fansubbers and rippers together.

Oh, I see, just saw that xD.
Daizo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Baby Naruto wrote:
I have a question.

They never used these DTO files to begin with, HorribleSubs rip the actual files used for the streaming frontend.

Most other CR rippers just rip the subtitles used on the streaming service and get the video from other sources that have nothing to do with CR.

Now about the topic at hand, I just hope this won't mean abandoning DTO as a concept completely just because one implementation failed. As to why it failed, it's easy to see: The quality was ridiculously poor. Hell, if you have downloadable files that are worse in quality compared to Flash streams, you're doing it wrong.

Cheaper prices (0.50-1.00$ would be optimal), better quality, SOFTSUBBING (this is a pretty big deal for me at least), no DRM, and you have a deal with me. Until then, I won't pay a dime to watch even a single stream, as I hate streaming and the technological restraints it puts on the kind of content you can serve.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:13 am Reply with quote
Daizo wrote:
Baby Naruto wrote:
I have a question.

They never used these DTO files to begin with, HorribleSubs rip the actual files used for the streaming frontend.

Most other CR rippers just rip the subtitles used on the streaming service and get the video from other sources that have nothing to do with CR.

Oh, I assumed that the DTO service was the only way they could get the videos from CrunchyRoll easily =/.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3