• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: A-1 Pictures' Vividred Operation Anime's 4th TV Ad Streamed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Since this is way off topic for this thread, I'm just leaving. You can live with your delusions, but your defense of Horizon is possibly the silliest thing I've ever seen.

I bow to your epic fanboy prowess, Fencedude.

Yeah, how dare I ask for someone to defend their position in an intellectually honest manner and not just hurl insults at the show and at me (though I have no issues with you hurling insults at me per se, it just doesn't really accomplish anything since I have zero shits to give).

Basically, you have failed to actually address any point other than "Horizon has girls with big boobs in skintight outfits", which is obvious and irrelevant, and "omg there are lesbians who aren't completely chaste and have the termerity to kiss and touch and discuss the fact that they have a sex life". Which is offensive.

You have demonstrated a complete lack of understanding of the plot of either season, the motivation of both the male and female leads, and do not seem to have any desire to approach the show on the level its asking for.

Since I did not immediately roll over and submit to your ~brilliant~ analysis, you are declaring me a fanboy, picking up your toys and going home.

You may think my defense is "silly", but your attempt at an argument was pathetic, and failed at even the most basic goals of an honest discussion.

So please, tuck your tail between your legs and run away, and find some other show you dislike to bash, hopefully with no "fanboys" who will have the temerity to stand up to you and your "arguments".
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
This is basically "BAAAWWW PEOPLE LIKE THINGS I DON'T LIKE" which is not particularly conducive to actual discussion.

Shh, shh, listen!
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this has been mostly 2 people going back and forth for pages!? I just realized it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I want to be jumping into this but relevant question: is the original Star Trek a "fanservice show"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
NO!

Every once in a while, Kirk's being "diplomatic" with aliens, but it was Scifi.

Are you implying that this show, despite throwing posterior in our face, is on the level of Star Trek?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:08 pm Reply with quote
This isn't a thread about Horizon Fencedude, so stop the soapboxing and keep it on topic. Someone leaving your irrational and "I'm never wrong" argument that is derailing the thread isn't them "packing up and going home" but acknowledging that your inability to leave a difference of opinion and simply a difference of opinion is destroying this entire thread. It's one thing to address how certain qualities in a show like the one in the article may or may not effect sales and viewership for that show. It's quite another to take a simple sampling statistic and twist this whole thread in to a debate about that otherwise entirely unrelated show.

So here's the deal Fencedude, you're done in this thread. I strongly suggest you start calming down in regards to people with different viewpoints of yours, because this behavior is becoming increasingly problematic.

Last edited by Keonyn on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
NO!

Every once in a while, Kirk's being "diplomatic" with aliens, but it was Scifi.

Are you implying that this show, despite throwing posterior in our face, is on the level of Star Trek?
In terms of fanservice, it's not any worse.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
We haven't really seen this show yet, so it is hard to say, but I am not holding my breath. This promises to be as bad as Strike Witches, and I would argue that show was considerably worse than the ST:TOS episodes I have seen, and certainly worse in the fanservice department than the first season of ST:TNG.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Just to be clear, I'm referring to "if they wear skin-tight costumes it is a fanservice show". By that criteria, Theiss and his miniskirts should be included too. They had skintight pilot costumes in Stellvia for that matter.
Vividred clearly is, and that trailer with the panty-clad butt right at the start makes no bones about it, but the derailment brought in a load of other shows too.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
If you lead with your fanservice elements, there's not much doubt what you want people to come to you for.

Psycho-Pass isn't shaking tush.

Don't act as if I'm saying this show is bad. I don't know a thing about it. It's just not giving people hope that it's hard sci-fi asking questions of humanity.
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
Don't act as if I'm saying this show is bad. I don't know a thing about it. It's just not giving people hope that it's hard sci-fi asking questions of humanity.
Word.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Horizon arguments are always interesting. think i'll try this show
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
If turning to moe/fanservice is the way for studios to stay alive, and most of the series barely break even (2-3.5k), then what does that really say about the anime industry?

It's like the beginning of the North American anime industry in the early 90's. In between releasing regular anime, the companies had to sell many ecchi and pr0n anime because those were what sell a lot at that time. Unfortunately, as a consequence, that's how the stigma that anime=pr0n came to be. But that's what they had to do to stay alive, until regular anime started selling enough on their own.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:20 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
If you lead with your fanservice elements, there's not much doubt what you want people to come to you for.

Psycho-Pass isn't shaking tush.

Well, look. Here's a trailer for the original Star Trek. At 1:22 there is a scene with Kirk making out with a topless woman, and 1:24 has girls in ridiculous outfits. Does that make Star Trek a sex fest with no redeeming value? Of course not, it just means they know their audience.

I don't have a lot of love for fanservice and I certainly rolled my eyes at the butt shot, but come on. It's a 15 second trailer, you have no idea what this show will do. Don't just write it off when other perfectly good shows have done the same.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:15 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
It's like the beginning of the North American anime industry in the early 90's. In between releasing regular anime, the companies had to sell many ecchi and pr0n anime because those were what sell a lot at that time. Unfortunately, as a consequence, that's how the stigma that anime=pr0n came to be. But that's what they had to do to stay alive, until regular anime started selling enough on their own.

I never realized that. Which companies from the early 90s had to sell those kind of titles?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4