• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Section23 Adds Sola, Shigofumi, Tytania Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:

Sentai was running about 13 episodes for about $39 MSRP. It looks like they are going up to $49. Gintama part 1 is $39 compared to part 2 which is $49. That is something disheartening. Not to mention that they ALSO put over 4 episodes on one DVD like Funimation.

6-7 episodes per disc is becoming the industry norm, like it or not. When Media Blasters starts putting out first run sets, I fully expect them to do the same. Even Nozomi's new El Hazard set is only four discs, so 6-7 eps per disc.

Just be glad they aren't doing what many of the major Hollywood studios are doing. Paramount's recent release of Daria has 9 episodes per disc, as do several of Disney's releases of the X-Men, Iron Man, and Fantastic Four from Marvel. Though sadly some of those releases do look better than the 6 episode discs we get from Funimation and others (though they are still quite bad.)

http://www.amazon.com/Daria-Complete-Animated-Tracy-Grandstaff/dp/B0019N8P2W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1274479780&sr=8-1
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
i like sola shigo and tytania..but those prices are INSANE for 12/13 episodes. they're fooling themselves into thinking this is a good idea. I don't know anyone that would pay that much for 12 episodes. thats like 4 dollars an episode, and people complain about psn selling episodes for 1.99 a piece
That's MSRP and nobody pays MSRP. $3.5-4.5/ep is the standard sub only MSRP price for boxsets.

Almaz wrote:
That is something disheartening. Not to mention that they ALSO put over 4 episodes on one DVD like Funimation.
There is nothing wrong with putting 6 eps on a DVD if you know what you are doing.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 5:39 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

Almaz wrote:
That is something disheartening. Not to mention that they ALSO put over 4 episodes on one DVD like Funimation.
There is nothing wrong with putting 6 eps on a DVD if you know what you are doing.

Very true, and Sentai "usually" does pretty well with this many episodes. They may not look as clean and crisp as their Sojitz era singles, but they generally look much better than the sets from Funimation. (Hidamari Sketch and X365 are the two notable exceptions.)
Reaper gI

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Ki918 wrote:
TheTheory wrote:
Weird. Is this another case where the Japanese license holders pulled Sola from Bandai, or is there something else funky going on here? As previously mentioned in the thread, Sola is still in print from the Bandai release. I can't imagine it is setting the world on fire with sales... I bought a copy, but for all I know I may be the only one...

Well, that makes two of us.

There was a license issue (I assume, it certainly apeared that way), that's why it got sub only when originaly it was getting dubbed, as did True tears.

Oh god yes someone licensed Shigofumi, another of the few bishoujo shows with serious narative and a developed setting. falls into a few cliches but still diferent enough to watch anyway.
Almaz

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:36 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Almaz wrote:

Sentai was running about 13 episodes for about $39 MSRP. It looks like they are going up to $49. Gintama part 1 is $39 compared to part 2 which is $49. That is something disheartening. Not to mention that they ALSO put over 4 episodes on one DVD like Funimation.

6-7 episodes per disc is becoming the industry norm, like it or not. When Media Blasters starts putting out first run sets, I fully expect them to do the same. Even Nozomi's new El Hazard set is only four discs, so 6-7 eps per disc.

Sorry. My previous post was focusing on the fact that even Funimation's quality is (while not perfect) not bad as people have said. Technology has gotten better over the years. Video encoding and authoring tools have allowed companies to do more with less. I do not have a problem with Funimation, Sentai, or others putting all of the episodes they can on a disk (provided it does have good qualtiy.) Every title is different so quality can change on the fact of what the studio is given to work with. Go find some early DVD movies that Hollywood put out and see some bad quality that even I can be picky about. Some DVDs looked worse than VHS tapes.

The point you quoted was me reflecting the prices of Sentai titles are going up in price and countering a previous statement of (more or less generalization) that only Funimation is the wolf and others are good little sheep.

I do have to say that I am spoiled on the fact that I use my PS3 for video playback which helps fix many video problems.

Another thing that is great about Sentai getting the shows is I can get to sample them on their online network. Something Bandai has been too slow in implementing. I have not seen these shows yet so I can check them out to see if I like them.

By the way, the title says Section 23 acquired these titles. Isn't Sentai the branch of the company for new titles, and Section 23 is for previous ADV titles?
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:56 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:

I quite like the 5 and 2 4's for a 13-episode season. If they can put 6 episodes on a disc, they can put 5 episodes and extras. Though if its a single box rather than thinpack in an artbox, I'd rather the kind with the pair of discs on opposite sides of a hinged insert than the two discs laid over each other in the folder that I've seen Funimation use.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:

By the way, the title says Section 23 acquired these titles. Isn't Sentai the branch of the company for new titles, and Section 23 is for previous ADV titles?

I must also apologize. I wasn't in particular responding to you, but more to the general group of people that complain when new titles get announced in the 6 episode sets. Sentai, and before them ADV, put out some very good looking DVDs with 6 or 7 episodes per disc. Even the "mainstream" series I've seen with 9 episodes didn't look too terrible, so 6 episodes can easily be done well.

Also, Section 23 is the distribution company. They handle titles for Sentai, who handles new anime and so far 1 live action Japanese title, Switchblade, which specializes in J-horror and pink cinema titles along with Maiden Japan, and AeSir Holdings. AeSir is the company that retained all of ADV's licenses that have no expired.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:22 pm Reply with quote
lol, already owning the Bandai boxset of Sola, my initial reaction was Question

As far as the prices go, as mentioned above, the street price is always significantly less than MSRP. However, you can still get the Bandai version now for $26.99 at rightstuff ....

Shigofumi -- finally! after being stuck in limbo after that initial Bandai announcement

neo-ADV is definitely becoming my fav R1 licensor. I just wished for two things:
1) Bluray releases, aside from Appleseed, like Tayutama, Tears to Tiara
2) A single, lower priced, compact or thin box set for the multi-volume releases. Would definitely help for the longer shows like Glass Mask and Gintama.
Almaz

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 8:30 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:

I must also apologize. I wasn't in particular responding to you, but more to the general group of people that complain when new titles get announced in the 6 episode sets. Sentai, and before them ADV, put out some very good looking DVDs with 6 or 7 episodes per disc. Even the "mainstream" series I've seen with 9 episodes didn't look too terrible, so 6 episodes can easily be done well.

It's cool. The way I state things can be dyslexic. I have not seen, lately, any DVDs that I would considered bad quality with the exception of the botched up encoding (?) Bandai did with numerous titles. Hayate the Combat Butler, in my opinion, could have been enhanced better that it did. Not being a person in film or animation, I would be an amateur in these critiques. I have been content with Funimation and Sentai with video quality.

The thing about MSRP going up on Sentai titles means street prices have to go up. Of course, you can wait until the product is discontinued, and the price will be dirt cheap.

I was interested in Bluray until I read about people saying that the product is basically an enhanced upconverted DVD. Not that is really the R1 company fault for not being able to get something to make a true HD transfer. My PS3 does a good job up-converting DVDs. I am sure a good studio can do a better job than an algorithm program. I find the qualtiy of DVDs to be good enough and DVDs more universal at this point. Bluray is not a good format for laptop computers / portable players due to the drain of the battery.
configspace

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 9:32 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
I was interested in Bluray until I read about people saying that the product is basically an enhanced upconverted DVD. Not that is really the R1 company fault for not being able to get something to make a true HD transfer. My PS3 does a good job up-converting DVDs. I am sure a good studio can do a better job than an algorithm program. I find the qualtiy of DVDs to be good enough and DVDs more universal at this point. Bluray is not a good format for laptop computers / portable players due to the drain of the battery.

There definitely are true HD Bluray anime out there. However, even the upscaled releases, which are from original masters, still look better than upscaling yourself from DVD. That said, some are better than others.
ZenErik

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Almaz wrote:
It's cool. The way I state things can be dyslexic. I have not seen, lately, any DVDs that I would considered bad quality with the exception of the botched up encoding (?) Bandai did with numerous titles. Hayate the Combat Butler, in my opinion, could have been enhanced better that it did. Not being a person in film or animation, I would be an amateur in these critiques. I have been content with Funimation and Sentai with video quality.

The thing about MSRP going up on Sentai titles means street prices have to go up. Of course, you can wait until the product is discontinued, and the price will be dirt cheap.

Bad quality? Well, my Funimation version of Le Chavelier d'Eon really did look like a YouTube video from 3 or 4 years ago, at times. Now that I have the ADV version it looks a lot better with the exception of the OPs and EDs. If I'm remembering correctly, the average bitrate is about 7 mbps for the ADV discs and seemed to be about 4.5 mbps for the Funimation version.

I've noticed the low bitrate from them with other series as well. like Mushi-shi and Moonphase. There are no other region 1 releases of the show to compare to, but the amount of noise and artifacts can be atrocious at times. Of course, I have no idea what Japan sent Funimation to work with on these DVDs; it may not be their fault at all. On the other hand, I can note that the ADV and Funimation versions of Air look exactly the same, despite the ADV version being on 4 discs compared to Funimation's 3.

I also remember problems with Fruits Basket, which isn't so recent, although I did have the newest release of the show. With the amount of times Funimation re-releases shows, you'd figure they might try to fix the picture issues.

Aside from that, I have noticed how poor Sentai's Hidamari Sketch releases look. I'm not sure of the right word to explain what's going on, but it just looks awful sometimes. I should also note that the aspect ratio often changes slightly with each "camera" view change. At least on x365. But I love the series, so I will stick with them hoping that Sentai releases season 3 and does a better job of it. Clannad's bitrate can be pretty low at times too, but it still seems to have come out pretty well. Maybe because there isn't that much actual animation in a show like that. Razz

The only other issue I have had is with a disc in the Fantastic Children Anime Legends release skipping between and also sometimes half way through chapters.

As for the PS3, it is an effective, but not great, upscaler. That is what I am currently using. I used to use a very nice Yamaha upscaling DVD player, which looked noticeably better, but it seems to have compatibility problems with my monitor.

Some Blu Ray discs, even from Funimation, look pretty damn good. I can't really complain about their releases of Evangelion 1.11, Ouran Host Club, or Shigurui. My Gunslinger Girl Blu Ray looks a bit suspect, but it's an upscale. Overall, I think it probably looks about as good as the DVD version would look upscaled on a PS3, but I have no actual experience with the original DVDs. The advantage to the Blu Ray is that it has a 5.1 Japanese track, where as, the DVD only has stereo.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
karvelot

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 6:13 am Reply with quote
I miss the good ol' days where almost every anime title had both English and Japanese dubs. And I also am starting to feel concerned about the current state of Bandai licencing anime in the US.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Sola and Shigofumi (did Bandai Ent actually ahve this?) have been through the hands of three companies? A record? Razz

Shigofumi was one of the titles on BVUSA's slate and BE inherited the lot when they were merged.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, it's good to know I'm not going nuts and flashing back to last year.....or seeing things when I look at the Sola collection already on my shelf but put out by Bandai instead. Confused
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:20 pm Reply with quote
For me to get more into the vein of space operas like Tytania, perhaps I should try GE999 and Harlock since they are among the ones that really pioneered modern space opera. Mobile Suit Gundam also would be good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5