• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Announces Partial English Cast for Hetalia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pippin4242

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:54 am Reply with quote
He is TOTALLY a real country - even if the others keep ignoring him. Laughing

*~Pips~*
Jaymie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:58 am Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:
I really wasn't expecting Vic as Greece, but it could work...maybe.

I wasn't really even expecting Vic to audition, let alone get a role. He's known for not liking yaoi. And after looking up Greece it's implied him and Japan slept with each other.

Well, he did play Fai. But he denied any and all yaoi involving him despite Fai being camp gay.
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:13 am Reply with quote
Ok, now as long as everyone attempts an accent, this should be awesome.

I think this is one of the few cases that the worse the accent, the better.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:28 am Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
PBsallad wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

I wasn't really even expecting Vic to audition, let alone get a role. He's known for not liking yaoi. And after looking up Greece it's implied him and Japan slept with each other.

Well, he did play Fai. But he denied any and all yaoi involving him despite Fai being camp gay.

To be fair, Vic may have not ever read the manga, and if one has only seen the anime seasons (which misinterpreted the manga quite a bit), it's easy to see how one might overlook Fai's feelings toward Kurogane and vice versa.
egoist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:36 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
Ok, now as long as everyone attempts an accent, this should be awesome.

I think this is one of the few cases that the worse the accent, the better.

In that case I think they'll have to contact Sealand themselves and record their voices, because I doubt anyone knows what their accent is like. Perhaps Zin5ki does? Laughing

At first I thought Sealand was just an aquatic park somewhere... but apparently they truly consider themselves a country. Even talking about "diplomatics from Germany and England". I loled. Hope they won't consider me a national threat because of this.
SerenaHavoc1013

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:44 am Reply with quote
CountZeroOR wrote:
Now, they have Ryan Reynolds listed as Latvia. This isn't the Ryan Reynolds who's going to play Green Lantern. Is it? Because that would sound a bit... spendy.

This one puzzled me, too. Is it THE Ryan Reynolds? If it's the same person we're thinking of, maybe he's just a fan of the show. I know that sounds far fetched, but it's the only logical reason I can think of as to why he would even audition for a part. As you mentioned, it would be pretty costly to have him casted, so (if it's the same guy) it makes sense that Funi would give him a small bit character.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:22 am Reply with quote
SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:
CountZeroOR wrote:
Now, they have Ryan Reynolds listed as Latvia. This isn't the Ryan Reynolds who's going to play Green Lantern. Is it? Because that would sound a bit... spendy.

This one puzzled me, too. Is it THE Ryan Reynolds? If it's the same person we're thinking of, maybe he's just a fan of the show. I know that sounds far fetched, but it's the only logical reason I can think of as to why he would even audition for a part. As you mentioned, it would be pretty costly to have him casted, so (if it's the same guy) it makes sense that Funi would give him a small bit character.

He's done TV voice-acting before in "Zeroman," so it's highly possible it's him.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:35 am Reply with quote
They'll probably just give Sealand a British accent. Roy Bates, the founder, is from the UK and it's an old British army fort in real life.

SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:
CountZeroOR wrote:

It's more than likely just a guy with the same name, I think. It's not exactly an exotic name, and I personally know two people in real life who share the name of stars. I doubt Reynolds would know about Hetalia, and even if he did, Funimation probably can't pay the costs to hire him (unless he decided to be extremely generous). But, even if this Reynolds isn't a known actor, the thought of new talent makes me happy Very Happy
PBsallad wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

It makes me wonder if Funimation just likes messing with him. "There a male character that's implied to have had sex with another male? Vic auditioned for the series? Huh...Cool" In Hetalia's case, most stuff is implied anyway. For the most part, it's just fans having shippings, misinterpreted moments, stuff like that. Enough for people to ignore, though there's no denying some of the undertones (and, well, stuff involving France).

Oh, the side characters (from the first two seasons) currently missing voice actors are Finland, Prussia, Sweden, Cuba, and Canada. Either they were forgotten or share a voice actor with one of the main 8. Or they're waiting to announce them.

It makes me wonder, though: would they hire any actual voice actor for Sweden's single line? In an upcoming season 3 episode, he's going to have a larger part, I believe. But would Funimation be willing to hire one if they'd have to wait about two seasons worth of episodes to get any more?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:37 am Reply with quote
Oh, I can tell this is going to be an interesting dub. Anime hyper I can't wait for the rest of the cast announcements now!
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:12 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
They'll probably just give Sealand a British accent. Roy Bates, the founder, is from the UK and it's an old British army fort in real life.

SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:
CountZeroOR wrote:

It's more than likely just a guy with the same name, I think. It's not exactly an exotic name, and I personally know two people in real life who share the name of stars. I doubt Reynolds would know about Hetalia, and even if he did, Funimation probably can't pay the costs to hire him (unless he decided to be extremely generous). But, even if this Reynolds isn't a known actor, the thought of new talent makes me happy Very Happy

There are Actor's Guild rules that state that no two actors can share the same name. Unions won't allow it.

Therefore I highly believe that it's Van Wilder.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
^
Does it apply to voice actors, though, including new talent? I mean, what would happen if an art director got to have a cameo voice in a film as a certain character, and his name just so happened to be Ryan Reynolds. Would they really have him change that?

Not that I'm opposed to Ryan Reynolds in Hetalia or anything Wink
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:33 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

SerenaHavoc1013 wrote:
CountZeroOR wrote:

There are Actor's Guild rules that state that no two actors can share the same name. Unions won't allow it.

1) I think someone might have been taking a piss with the Ryan Reynolds thing, although, it would be cool if he was. But, I'd bet both my kidneys against it being him.

2) Isn't all the Texas stuff NON-Union or something? Which is why they're based/work in Texas due to/to avoid (?) SAG minimums and other Union laws (Don't quote me) so they don't have to pay their VA's, editors, etc. union wages, amongst other things, to make it far cheaper.

Not being union, the Name rules don't apply... I think (again, don't quote me). What I don't know about SAG, Unions, Labor & Entertainment Law could fill a large space.

Regardless, I think someone's just pulling our leg.
omnistry

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:40 am Reply with quote
RestlessOne wrote:
^
Does it apply to voice actors, though, including new talent? I mean, what would happen if an art director got to have a cameo voice in a film as a certain character, and his name just so happened to be Ryan Reynolds. Would they really have him change that?

Not that I'm opposed to Ryan Reynolds in Hetalia or anything Wink

I believe all voice actors are part of the Actor's Union, from what J. Michael Tatum was telling me when I interviewed him at AB (he joked about being superstitious and the likely even of being kicked out of a union). There are a couple exceptions, but I think it's way too coincidental that there would be two actors named Ryan Reynolds.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:41 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
PBsallad wrote:

Knowing Vic, he'll try and play down the yaoi aspect or make some outlandish BS claim that he talked to the creator and got her to admit that "It's not YAOI, I got the creator to confirm it to me." He's only taking the role only because it's keeps his name in the limelight.

I wish Gen Fukunaga would not rely on this idiot.

Seriously, just be glad this show even has a English audio track. Could have easily been subtitle only like Toradora, Your Under Arrest, Gintama, etc.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:31 pm Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:

From the encyclopedia listing "Eric Johnson"
Quote:
About:
Started using the stage name "Eric Vale" in 2001 when he joined an actors' union that already had an actor by the name of Eric Johnson.

Funi's actors are largely not union. It's also the excuse commonly used for various VA's having numerous names-one for union work & one for non-union work. Granted that doesn't explain the ones creeping up to a dozen aliases...

Jaymie wrote:
PBsallad wrote:
RestlessOne wrote:

Aren't American guys (don't really know any others) pretty big on plausible deniability? That if it is not stated in no uncertain terms something is something, it might not be? I can't think of the number of guys I've had various discussions with that this or that character has homosexual undertones & the guys cannot see it.
Then again, look at all the people who "He was a mass murderer? He seemed like such a quiet neighbor". Maybe it's Americans in general who are oblivious.
As for the anti-gay bit, it seems to be part of Mignogna's brand. His Christianity seems to be the fervent sort I often see amongst my drug user clients who swap an addiction for drugs for an addiction for Jesus or he's aware he's pulling a certain fanbase off being Christian. Do we know what faiths most of these VA's are? Does it matter? The average person really doesn't bring that up in conversation or even the workplace. One's faith usually has no impact on one's job & thus is usually left outside/at home. All I care is he does his job convincingly enough. His personal life or beliefs have no bearing whatsoever on his work abilities. Absolute asses can have tons of talent while absolute saints can have no artistic abilities at all. Look at Ozzy Osbourne. I am constantly mystified someone as incoherant as he is can allegedly write the lyrics he does. I strongly suspect ghost writers, but the style is consistant throughout his career, so that must be one faithful ghost or Ozzy can turn a pretty lyric & still seem brain dead in interviews.

Last edited by CCSYueh on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9