• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime series getting taken off sites...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sho91745

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Well some of you guys might have realized but many anime series have been taken off [illegal streaming site]? because alot of the creators have been complaining... and i just want to give my thoughts on this matter...if this continues to happen, we will be forced to buy the DVD Sets and yeah we'll buy the series we like but after that it will be alot harder to find new animes because who would risk it to buy a set for 60 bucks and they might not even like it. Well thats it tell me what you guys think.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:21 pm Reply with quote
I checked the site in question out, and it seems to be one of many sites which (illegally) streams episodes that are available through legitimate (i.e. legal) online streaming sites, such as Crunchyroll and The Anime Network. Thus I have zero sympathy for people feeling deprived.

Concerning your reasoning about having to actually buy things:
1) That's the whole point.
2) For many series these days, some or most episodes are available via legit online streaming, so it is still possible to preview series before plunking down money on them. The majority of the Summer 2010 season is available in official simulcast (or near-simulcast) streaming options.

Last edited by Key on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PrettyKitty$$$$$

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Ugh, I don't know why I'm even responding to this troll post, but on the off chance it's legit here goes:

Go to www.funimation.com or www.crunchyroll.com or www.theanimenetwork.com All of these site stream anime legally and for free. You don't have to resort to some pirate site. Also, I do buy DVD sets and I've got to laugh at the $60 figure that you pulled out of your ass. I've never paid full price for DVD's as there is always a sale going on somewhere. And well, nobody is "forcing" you to buy DVD's, but if you want to own your favorite show and support the creators, why wouldn't you buy it?
John Casey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:32 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:
Ugh, I don't know why I'm even responding to this troll post, but on the off chance it's legit here goes:

Why do you automatically assume it's a troll post, and not just plain old ignorance?

This kind of elitism is really starting to piss me off.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Well, you won't nesscarily be forced to buy anything. Now a days, stuff with US dubs on DVDs or a US license have a legit source or site to watch these series for free or through a cheap monthly subscription which will still allow you to browse or check a series out before dropping $20-50 for a DVD set. And that legitimately free or online source continues to grow so I don't nesscary see an illegal site going down as a bad thing for fans who are more hesitate to purchase anime or who prefer digital over physical. For brand new stuff, it's kinda on the slow side since not "every" series is picked up for online streams, but its getting better. As for old series, they're pretty robust right now and growing as licensee updated their catalog and dig into their backlogs.

Anime Network (ADV licenses) has a good chunk of their catalog for stream. Funimation is slowing updating their stuff with older and newer series for free via their site and youtube. Viz has been really slow but they at least got their money makers up to date for the most part. Crunchyroll has bunch of stuff too. And even ANN is doing double duty of hosting some of those series as well as their own series for free. And then theirs the increasing amount of simulcast or near simulcast. Crunchyroll has even said that one of their goals is to simulcast every series that ever gets released during the regular seasons.
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:36 pm Reply with quote
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

Go to www.funimation.com or www.crunchyroll.com or www.theanimenetwork.com All of these site stream anime legally and for free. You don't have to resort to some pirate site.

Also, right here at this site, if you go to the video tab.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:37 pm Reply with quote
By the eay, the OP's first post violates ANN's rule about providing the names of fansub sites.
TatsuGero23

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:49 pm Reply with quote
Hey now, let's go easy on the guy and not automatically assume he's trolling. Let's just try to help the guy out even if we are pretty tired of the whole topic that has already been "discussed" to death in the various other articles that degraded into shells of their former selves.
Nerv1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:57 pm Reply with quote
sho91745 wrote:
yeah we'll buy the series we like but after that it will be alot harder to find new animes because who would risk it to buy a set for 60 bucks and they might not even like it.

Most boxsets are not that expensive nowadays. There a lot of shows that can be purchased for $40 or less. What's wrong with buying anime dvds? Do you think that you deserve to have everything for free despite the fact that people worked hard on it to make money?(that's just wrong) Besides, I think its better to actually own a certain show you like on DVD, that way you show your support for it. Also just letting you know, I also use the internet (ie bittorrent and stream sites) to find new shows to watch, but you can always use ANN's encyclopedia and the legal stream sites as mentioned above to find new shows to watch too.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:35 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
PrettyKitty20034 wrote:

Why do you automatically assume it's a troll post, and not just plain old ignorance?

I do think this is plain old ignorance in this case, which is why I haven't locked the thread. However, the vast majority of these kind of posts do fall into the trolling category, which is why I don't have a problem with this being looked at as trolling either.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Anime Companys taking shows off of illegal streaming sites! OH NO! How dare those companies take back whats rightfully theres, how dare they want us to buy the DVDs and Blu-rays so they can make a profit! HOW EVILZ! (Sarcasm is fun)

Personally i say HELLZ YEA! When it comes to companies in Japan & the U.S. cracking down on illegal streams & torrents.

Its a simple concept really, Piracy is Piracey, which is illegal. And of course if you want to support an industry or fracnhise you like, you do so buy BUYING THE PRODUCTS AVALIBLE. (or at least watching them on a LEGAL STREAM.)

I approve this move. Very Happy
Sanosuke_Inara

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
Anime Companys taking shows off of illegal streaming sites! OH NO! How dare those companies take back whats rightfully theres, how dare they want us to buy the DVDs and Blu-rays so they can make a profit! HOW EVILZ! (Sarcasm is fun)

Personally i say HELLZ YEA! When it comes to companies in Japan & the U.S. cracking down on illegal streams & torrents.

Its a simple concept really, Piracy is Piracey, which is illegal. And of course if you want to support an industry or fracnhise you like, you do so buy BUYING THE PRODUCTS AVALIBLE. (or at least watching them on a LEGAL STREAM.)

I approve this move. Very Happy
And I approve of this post. Very Happy
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Actually, what upsets me is when someone (Funimation) tells YouTube to remove anime (Nanoha StrikerS) for which they do not, so far as I know, have the license.

Yes, Funimation has other Nanoha series, but not StrikerS. If they did, I wouldn't be watching it fansubbed and in low res. But since they don't, I don't understand why they feel they can send take-down notices for something they have no rights to.

If Funimation *does* have the rights to Nanoha StrikerS, it'd be the first I've heard of it.
garfield15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:26 pm Reply with quote
The thread OP gains no sympathy from me honestly. I really couldn't care less.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Actually, what upsets me is when someone (Funimation) tells YouTube to remove anime (Nanoha StrikerS) for which they do not, so far as I know, have the license.

Yes, Funimation has other Nanoha series, but not StrikerS. If they did, I wouldn't be watching it fansubbed and in low res. But since they don't, I don't understand why they feel they can send take-down notices for something they have no rights to.

If Funimation *does* have the rights to Nanoha StrikerS, it'd be the first I've heard of it.

Do remember though that FUNi is usually told to remove things by japanese licensors even though they don't have the license to the show. It has happened before.
crunchycat
I do Marketing for Anime Companies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:59 pm Reply with quote
sites like funimation, Crunchyroll, Hulu are what the anime industry will need to evolve to survive and bring more fans.

Before it was all VHS and fansubs, with the occasional anime on TV (DB series, Sailormoon, Pokemon and whatever else 4Kids and Cartoon network ran).

Eventually fansubs ruled because it was the only way for alot of people to watch series since it was never known if any company would be picking up the rights, or for the matter of waiting close to half a year for it.

Now with anime fans growing but the economy broke we need these things to spread the love of anime in a legal way that will make everyone happy.

Crunchyroll.com, funimation.com and Hulu have commercials just like the ones you see on TV, that companies pay for creating revenue to pay for the rights to the anime, subbing and to pay for all the bandwith they are using, and charge a small amount for only the newest weekly eps to survive.

Times create change and really compared to a decade ago we are way further in keeping up.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3