• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Uta Kata Sub.DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
Pretty positive review compared to some of the reviews I'd see on past years blogs. There weren't that many because for whatever reason some folks couldn't wrap their head around this show. Not to mention those who HAD to blog it because no one else would and they felt the same way.

If this was being reviewed episode by episode as it came out then I could easily see why it got more negative reviews, as this is one of those series where it's hard to appreciate what the writing is doing until you've seen most of the episodes.

Quote:
Not to mention ep. 14 which was an OVA had me more stumped.

The OVA is actually ep 13 (there is no 14), and I don't see why that one would be confusing if you've seen the rest of the series. spoiler[It is simply a final, temporary reunion Ichika and Sei have with the two mirror avatars so that everyone can more properly say their good-byes.]

Alan45 wrote:
Anyone want to comment on the meaning of the title? Is this one of those with several possible meanings?

The title literally translates as "Poem Fragment," but if written a different way then the title can also refer to bubbles - which is definitely a recurring visual theme throughout the series.

Otaking09 wrote:
Even so... at that point, is the change worth finishing the show?

I usually LOVE shows that start out fluffy, predictable, and, possibly, downright pointless... that later have astounding turnaround eps, that completely flips the earlier eps all around the frying pan!
However... most of those earlier eps are tolerable in their own right to begin with.
Many of Kiddy Grade's stories aren't even... endearing.

What's the point of a turnaround if the source isn't even worth it?

I think it's definitely worth finishing the show, and the early episodes aren't at all pointless (though perhaps a little frivolous at times); their actual purpose, within the context of the overall plot, is to show that Eclair is trying to live a lie by finding bliss in self-willed ignorance. That is not at all clear, either, until you get until the later stages of the show which deal with why Eclair lost her memory.

Really, the transformation the series undergoes beginning with the late stages of episode 9 (which plays out more grimly and seriously than any of the previous episodes even before the transition point) is remarkable, as it shows that there is far more going on in the series, issues that have only barely even been hinted at previously. One line from episode 12 speaks to the core of the series and the depth that it crafts in the middle and late episodes:

"Everyone dreams of eternal youth. The problem is how one comes to live with it once they have it."

Now, the series does get more than a bit cheesy in the end, but the strong run of episodes through the series' middle, and how everything else in the series is either a part or a consequence of what goes on there, more than makes up for the early and ending cheese.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
One line from episode 12 speaks to the core of the series and the depth that it crafts in the middle and late episodes:

"Everyone dreams of eternal youth. The problem is how one comes to live with it once they have it."

Wait, what? That's the deep, dark turn in the story? That's what makes this worth watching? You have got to be kidding me. That's... one of the oldest, most done-over tropes ever. Sorry, Theron, but once more, you and I have different standards. Confused
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Exactly, to quote Key.

But the thing is that of the blogs that I saw sort of reviewed the series as a whole. Or an episode here or there. To put it the series really didn't appeal to those that bothered. Again to point out what you said, it's better to blog/review something that you have an appreciation for. I had interest in the show which was why I followed it. But afterwards, feeling puzzled was the sole reason I set out to find a blog that would analyze whatever I missed. Because I knew someone out there had to have watched this show. But you already know what I found. I always find that for every show that someone dislikes you find 10 that like it and pretty much "got it."

*To quote one of the blogs they brought up the issue that the show was a pedophile's dream. Anyone who has seen the show and is familiar with the visuals might understand why they were going there.

It was an interesting series I must say. The one thing I did enjoy about it was the OP and ED themes and ending (eye catch) segments done by different artist. Wink
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:37 pm Reply with quote
Uta Kata has one of the very best OP/ED combo in recent anime history, and that alone is a good enough reason to give this series a shot.

I'm one of those people who were extremely surprise by how surprisingly good this show turned out to be. I like to call it a seinen version of Someday's Dreamers, as both series revolve around the same issues but with different approaches.

And huh, calling it a pedophile's dream is kind of a dumb statement, even if it comes from a random blogger, as the same could be said about ANY Gonzo anime out there.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:44 pm Reply with quote
When I first the licensing announcement for this I thought I'd pass on it (just didn't sound like my sort of thing) but after this review I think I'll check it out after all, it sounds like a rather fun show.
Also, is it just me or is Section 23/Sentai putting out shows faster these days? True they aren't dubbing them which saves time, but it feels like when Funi announces something it takes a year to come out but when 23 announces a show it's on the shelves only a few months later, am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this?
Otaking09

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I think it's definitely worth finishing the show, and the early episodes aren't at all pointless (though perhaps a little frivolous at times); their actual purpose, within the context of the overall plot, is to show that Eclair is trying to live a lie by finding bliss in self-willed ignorance. That is not at all clear, either, until you get until the later stages of the show which deal with why Eclair lost her memory.

Really, the transformation the series undergoes beginning with the late stages of episode 9 (which plays out more grimly and seriously than any of the previous episodes even before the transition point) is remarkable, as it shows that there is far more going on in the series, issues that have only barely even been hinted at previously. One line from episode 12 speaks to the core of the series and the depth that it crafts in the middle and late episodes:

Now, the series does get more than a bit cheesy in the end, but the strong run of episodes through the series' middle, and how everything else in the series is either a part or a consequence of what goes on there, more than makes up for the early and ending cheese.

Hmm... well, I guess I'll watch this show first, see if it's good(which I think it will be), and might consider giving Kiddy Grade another go.
I didn't hate it(not like Hellsing's TV ver. "shudders"), but it didn't come off as being.... a worthwhile story.
For the most part Key, I agree(or at the very least understand) with your points, so if K. Grade tells such a point with solid execution then I guess I wouldn't mind.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:51 pm Reply with quote
A magical girl show (outwardly) that becomes darker and more gruesome the deeper it goes? Hmmm, wasn't there another show like that? Anyway, it sounds like a worthy watch. I'm adding it.
GrilledEelHamatsu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:08 pm Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
When I first the licensing announcement for this I thought I'd pass on it (just didn't sound like my sort of thing) but after this review I think I'll check it out after all, it sounds like a rather fun show.
Also, is it just me or is Section 23/Sentai putting out shows faster these days? True they aren't dubbing them which saves time, but it feels like when Funi announces something it takes a year to come out but when 23 announces a show it's on the shelves only a few months later, am I crazy or has anyone else noticed this?

Thats because Section23 only annouces a license 3 months in advance of its solictation and doesn't dub niche titles, and only dubs what it licensor contracts them to dub, the dub is done secret in advance.

As for Uta Kta, I recall watching it on Veoh back in 2007, found it quite interesting and strange,lots of fan service and yuri subtext.
ZipZapZopTitania

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Huh...a magical girl show with depth? I may have to give this a shot.

Heck, I was scared to try Kiddy Grade. But now I may have to give that the benefit of the doubt, too.

This show seems so pwettiful...yah, I'm totally gonna try. But is it a bad thing when you're the same age as a magical girl in a deep show? That may not lead to good things. Possibly me watching the shameless exploitation of girls my age. But whatever, I've come to accept it. Heck, it's anime. So here's hopin'! xD I'll at least try an episode~
Key

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:17 pm Reply with quote
GrilledEelHamatsu wrote:
As for Uta Kta, I recall watching it on Veoh back in 2007, found it quite interesting and strange,lots of fan service and yuri subtext.

I've seen mention of the yuri subtext elsewhere, too, but to say that the series has distinct content of that sort may be overstating things. I'm a big fan of yuri, but I got zero yuri vibe from Ichika and Manatsu (the cover characters). Two of the supporting cast member girls might be developing in that direction, but the writing never delves into it beyond two very brief scenes which could have more platonic interpretations and both girls in question are shown having at least some interest in guys at earlier points in the series.

vashfanatic wrote:
[Concerning KG:] Wait, what? That's the deep, dark turn in the story? That's what makes this worth watching? You have got to be kidding me. That's... one of the oldest, most done-over tropes ever. Sorry, Theron, but once more, you and I have different standards.

I'll grant you that it's hardly a unique theme, but the points of emphasis in this one are different than in most other ones. (One example: the series makes it pretty clear what the one utterly indispensable factor is for people in that situation.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
neocloud9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:25 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
A magical girl show (outwardly) that becomes darker the deeper it goes? Hmmm, wasn't there another show like that?

Princess Tutu? Quack quack...
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A magical girl show (outwardly) that becomes darker and more gruesome the deeper it goes? Hmmm, wasn't there another show like that?

Jubei chan and Princess Tutu start out light and then become dark. I think season 1 of Magic Knights Rayearth really fits the bill too. The girls start out in a brightly colored magical kingdom and are told to save an innocent princess who's being held captive. As the show progresses the colors become darker and more and more tragic things happen. In the end spoiler[the heroes are forced to kill the princess they had sworn to save.]

Edit: Ah, and Petite Princess Yucie starts out like a typical shojo show and does take a little bit of a dark turn.

Last edited by here-and-faraway on Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen a whole lot of magical girl anime, but Someday's Dreamers and Utakata are extremely similar in terms of what they're trying to portray. At first glance, they're both about a young teenage girl getting magic powers as well as the ability to grant anyone's wishes, but behind that there's a much deeper story about the downside of it all. So what you get is a coming of age story filled with guilt, jealousy, betrayal, and other darker themes one could be surprised to find in a mahou shoujo anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:54 am Reply with quote
Quote:
On the downside, the series' age means it still comes in a 4:3 aspect ratio.
And... why is this inherently a downside, again? In a way, I'd call it a good thing, since the show was made in 4:3 and any remotely feasible method (cropping, stretching, squishing) of changing it into 16:9 would damage the video.

Sadly, anyone looking for "mature" anime will write off Uta~Kata because of a few underage pantyshots.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 6:27 am Reply with quote
fireaxe wrote:
I haven't seen a whole lot of magical girl anime, but Someday's Dreamers and Utakata are extremely similar in terms of what they're trying to portray. At first glance, they're both about a young teenage girl getting magic powers as well as the ability to grant anyone's wishes, but behind that there's a much deeper story about the downside of it all. So what you get is a coming of age story filled with guilt, jealousy, betrayal, and other darker themes one could be surprised to find in a mahou shoujo anime.

Couldn't have been summed up any better.

An excellent show that took me by surprised. If you have seen it, give it a shot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3