• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: NIS America to Release Hansaku Iroha TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:35 pm Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
There are plenty of artworks that NISA can chose from, but they will be sorely limited by the number of pages.(Japanese BD small books are over 500 pages total). Anyway by looking at NISA's past premium book designs, the following are what they are likely throw in:

1. BD/DVD Cover arts
2. Japanese magazine spreads
3. Character Model sheets
4. Background Arts
5. Episode Guide

These are good enough for any US fans having interest in owning a "starter" premium edition. It's not like US fans will go crazy over audio drama, commentaries, screenplay, mini-novel, production drawings, storyboard, and etc.
NISA states their book is "A full-color, 36-page hardcover art book, which provides a deeper viewing experience with detailed character info, rough sketches, artist interviews and setting illustrations." Looking at the production image provided, I see a lot of the art boards from notebook 2. Given the interviews and rough sketches mentioned, we'll likely see a shortened version of notebooks 2-3 with character introductions (and maybe episode summaries) from the first 4/5 notebooks. I'll be inquiring about what they plan to include with their reps.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping they get The Tatami Galaxy since they licensed House of Five Leaves. Also School Days since no one has licensed it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:16 pm Reply with quote
ZorinBlitz wrote:
Also School Days since no one has licensed it.

Just when my grief over SD never coming over here was almost completely gone, you had to go and stir it up all over again Sad. Any company getting SD, even a barebones Sentai release, is probably the only thing that would make me stand up and cheer and clap at an industry panel.
ZorinBlitz

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
ZorinBlitz wrote:

Just when my grief over SD never coming over here was almost completely gone, you had to go and stir it up all over again Sad. Any company getting SD, even a barebones Sentai release, is probably the only thing that would make me stand up and cheer and clap at an industry panel.

If we all pester NIS America about it perhaps we can get a response. Don't give up hope. Smile
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:55 pm Reply with quote
I don't think NISA is a likely distrib for School Days. I was at one of their panels at Anime North last May and they were running down the profile of the kind of shows they license. First, they skew heavily towards comedy which SD has zero of (intentional comedy, I mean). Second, the ending is not consistent with the tone of the shows they tend to release.

The only R1 distrib I can imagine releasing SD is Sentai because they are always a wild card. Unlike Funi, they don't have a "brand" of show they tend to favour. They can (and do) license virtually any kind of genre, any kind of story. They are also much more likely to "reach back" and snag an older title than other distribs. Getting Seikon no Qwaser proves they don't shy from controversial stuff.

Having said all that, I don't think SD will ever see a legit light of day in NA. Please prove me wrong, Cosmos.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I don't think NISA is a likely distrib for School Days. I was at one of their panels at Anime North last May and they were running down the profile of the kind of shows they license. First, they skew heavily towards comedy which SD has zero of (intentional comedy, I mean). Second, the ending is not consistent with the tone of the shows they tend to release.

The only R1 distrib I can imagine releasing SD is Sentai because they are always a wild card. Unlike Funi, they don't have a "brand" of show they tend to favour. They can (and do) license virtually any kind of genre, any kind of story. They are also much more likely to "reach back" and snag an older title than other distribs. Getting Seikon no Qwaser proves they don't shy from controversial stuff.

Having said all that, I don't think SD will ever see a legit light of day in NA. Please prove me wrong, Cosmos.

Well Tokyo magnitude 8.0 is getting a release over here and please keep mind it only sold 300-400 copies per volume. Yes it's a huge long shot by now however it is one of the most viewed, reviewed shows on crunchy roll based on the 10,000 plus comments alone for the final episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
reanimator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:27 am Reply with quote
ultimatemegax wrote:
reanimator wrote:
There are plenty of artworks that NISA can chose from, but they will be sorely limited by the number of pages.(Japanese BD small books are over 500 pages total). Anyway by looking at NISA's past premium book designs, the following are what they are likely throw in:

1. BD/DVD Cover arts
2. Japanese magazine spreads
3. Character Model sheets
4. Background Arts
5. Episode Guide

These are good enough for any US fans having interest in owning a "starter" premium edition. It's not like US fans will go crazy over audio drama, commentaries, screenplay, mini-novel, production drawings, storyboard, and etc.
NISA states their book is "A full-color, 36-page hardcover art book, which provides a deeper viewing experience with detailed character info, rough sketches, artist interviews and setting illustrations." Looking at the production image provided, I see a lot of the art boards from notebook 2. Given the interviews and rough sketches mentioned, we'll likely see a shortened version of notebooks 2-3 with character introductions (and maybe episode summaries) from the first 4/5 notebooks. I'll be inquiring about what they plan to include with their reps.

[Edit] Look, I just listed typical pattern in those hardcover book designs. Hanasaku's hardcover features about the same as Persona Trinity Soul premium US DVD hardcover, which I happen to own. The listed features that I mentioned are common in most Japanese import anime BD/DVD and we're getting the taste of them. NISA already designed package with big announcement. I doubt that they will include anything special other than what's announced on the web. Just like any other publisher, they're under Japanese licensors' discretion for features and extras. [Edit]

Like I said, it's a good way to own modest premium edition without going overboard.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:43 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
@neocloud9 - re: Hanasaku Iroha 3 eppie controversy: the MC (a 15-ish year old girl) is spoiler["kidnapped" by a guest at the inn where she works and is tied up bondage style. The sitch is played for laughs, but the tone was somewhat incongruous to the rest of the show.] I didn't have a big problem with it, but dtm42, for example, pretty much lost his mind over it.

Haha, not the scandal I expected, but I can see why folks'd be uncomfortable with it! Ah well, I'll still have to check out more episodes.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
ZorinBlitz wrote:

you do realize that the original visual novels HQ version has been released in the US right. in fact I sell it on amazon, there is even a collectors edition of it.
Rukiia

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
ZorinBlitz wrote:

you do realize that the original visual novels HQ version has been released in the US right. in fact I sell it on amazon, there is even a collectors edition of it.

Um, dude, they are talking about the Anime not the visual novels.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Rukiia wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
ZorinBlitz wrote:

Um, dude, they are talking about the Anime not the visual novels.

Yes I do know however if they would have that strong a reaction to the anime I wanted to check if they knew about the source material being in English.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7