• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Noir (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baka...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Ya.. i think i may finish it now! thanks for all the imput guys.
Chiroptera Rex

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:58 pm Reply with quote
Kisuke wrote:
This show follows the 16th law of anime to the extreme. If you don't know what I mean look up the laws of anime.

LOL, I had never heard about these laws until I googled it. Yes, the 16th law is grossly overused in Noir.
smutchi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:27 am Reply with quote
I think I have to defend Noir a bit Smile
A lot of people here don't seem to like it because of the lack of blood and action (in the first part of the series). I agree, but this just isn't an anime in this category!
Maybe you expected something else when you watched it, but that doesn't mean it's bad or boring all the time.
I agree that there are too many repetitions of that one scene mentioned, but otherwise I really enjoyed it and wasn't bored at all. Also I think the music is fantastic.
To me, it's different from other anime because of the special kind of atmosphere it creates and also because of the two main characters. I find it very fascinating spoiler[how two women, who seem to be very normal, can be so cruel and yet in the end stick together.]
I think if you manage to feel for and with these two than it isn't boring... Smile
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quote
smutchi wrote:
I think I have to defend Noir a bit Smile
A lot of people here don't seem to like it because of the lack of blood and action (in the first part of the series). I agree, but this just isn't an anime in this category!
Maybe you expected something else when you watched it, but that doesn't mean it's bad or boring all the time.
I agree that there are too many repetitions of that one scene mentioned, but otherwise I really enjoyed it and wasn't bored at all. Also I think the music is fantastic.
To me, it's different from other anime because of the special kind of atmosphere it creates and also because of the two main characters. I find it very fascinating spoiler[how two women, who seem to be very normal, can be so cruel and yet in the end stick together.]
I think if you manage to feel for and with these two than it isn't boring... Smile
I agree completely. People who want to watch this just to see girls shooting and killing all the time are watching "Noir" for the wrong reason and will be bored. "Noir" isn't just about their profession and how many times they perform it. It's about them as persons and their journey of discovery about their lives. "Noir" is not "Gunsmith Cats". The lack of blood was due to the fact that "Noir" was originally broadcast at prime time, not buried at 0300, in Japan.
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:35 pm Reply with quote
But...their journey of discovery just wasn't that interesting, and it was filled with an obnoxious repeated flashback. Noir had an interesting concept, but it ruined it by taking things in the wrong direction. I felt that the show jumped the shark entirely when spoiler[Noir stopped being a perfectly normal pair of assassins and started being the hand of an ancient organization. I mean, it's perfectly acceptable for some series to be grounded in reality...ancient societies like the Soldats get annoying when they are overused.][/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
animaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Well I know I really enjoyed the series myself but if your that far along you may not want to bother if your not enjoying it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Htiran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:45 am Reply with quote
Noir is really slow starting, but when Chloe makes her appearence is where i thought the anime started getting really interesting. Just stick it out, until episode 11+ i thought it was ok beyond that point. If there was blood in that anime it would have been very violent, i think they took blood out cause they wanted us to focus more on the storytelling rather then the blood and gore, but thats just my opinion.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Well the show had me from the first episode and I nearly went broke buying all the DVDs at once because I wanted to finish it so badly. I picked up the first volume on a blind buy too. It was the mystery that kept me insterested and even the filler episodes are great quality stories in my opinion. Add to that the great music and the simple yet still intriguing characters and it's makes Noir one of my favorite series.

As for the flashback yeah it is annoying but there's a reason for it poping up constantly. It's a psychological phenomonon called a repressed memory, in cases where people, especially children like Mirelle was at the time, see something tramatically disturbing, they can conciously or unconciously block the painful memory. You see that blocked memory of hers come back to her in bits and pieces in the form of that flashback as the series runs it's course and she discovers new information and adds more pieces to the puzzle figuratively speaking.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
As for the flashback... [etc.]

Well that's a terrible way of putting together the bits and pieces. They could've at least added a little more detail or plot twists in between to make it more intersting.

And wasn't it just an obvious coincidence that:

spoiler[ Mireille's flashbacks, Kirika, and all of Soldats just happened to be related to each other in the end?]

Now for a VERY good example of repressed memory presentation, watch Monster. That is the epitome of how you don't need blood and violence to make a masterpiece of a series (though it certainly helps Anime smallmouth).
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:

spoiler[ Mireille's flashbacks, Kirika, and all of Soldats just happened to be related to each other in the end?]

Well, it's not like it was supposed to some kind of secret. We were basically told that in the first few episodes. Knowing it's going to all come togather and knowing how exactly it's going to come togather are two different things entirely. Anyway the flashback thing went from something interesting to just a general way to kill some extra minutes so they didn't have to put in new annimation as the series went on. Lots of series are guilty of doing this sort of thing so it isn't just Noir and doesn't effect my opinion of the series as a whole (just the lazy staff of the show Razz ).

Last edited by Kruszer on Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
coolerimmortal

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
As for the flashback... [etc.]

Well that's a terrible way of putting together the bits and pieces. They could've at least added a little more detail or plot twists in between to make it more intersting.

Now for a VERY good example of repressed memory presentation, watch Monster. That is the epitome of how you don't need blood and violence to make a masterpiece of a series (though it certainly helps Anime smallmouth).

Ah, yes. Monster truly is a perfect series.

Noir had too many "convenient" moments in it...it was far too unrealistic.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Slayer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the best way to see if it gets good is to watch it Very Happy but thats just my opinion
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Noir had too many "convenient" moments in it...it was far too unrealistic.

Anime isn't exactly the best place to look for realism. Laughing
scorpioEDC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Actually, I like the flashback. The flashback just keeps me guessing the final predictalbe picture. There were blood -> limbs -> body -> obviously it was a murder. Although it is predictable, I was surprised that it was that......"small".

It totally depends on personal taste. I like the style of the bloodless action sequences. I like the stylish presentation of those sequences without explicitly showing the final kill - the art of killing. Of cause, you can kill a person with a fork. In my opinion, if you are skillful enough, you can even kill a person with your fingers - try probing your throat with your fingers, don't do it too hard; otherwise...... By the way, in Noir, I love that sequence of stealing a toy bus and using it to kill.

On the contrary, I am wondering whether Madlax is getting good. So far, Madlax doesn't have the same impact on me as Noir does. In fact, comparing early episodes, I find Gunslinger Girl is more interesting than Madlax.
ShinobiX

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:48 pm Reply with quote
I thought Noir was good from the beginnig, but I got a little more interested in the animie when,
spoiler[the gang conecting to Maria's and Noir's pass got involved Intercoble and when the other "Noir" got involed, Chloe. Intercoble started at around episode 8 and I think Chloe was introduced in episode 12. If you didn't like gunfights you shouldn't have bought it because it repeats the same gunfighting stealth action in every episode.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3