• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Mobile Police Patlabor Gets Live-Action Project in 2014

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShaolinWolf

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
They've also yet to really master live-action productions in general (ie:regardless of CG fx), and this coming from someone (me) who saw Gantz in theaters.

What? There are a lot of great Japanese movies. No country has "mastered" movies either -- more than anything it comes down to the individual director.
Quote:
My point is that I know of no basis for the hope that this movie won't be crap in virtually every category. If you know of some Japanese production that gives hope something to stand on, please, don't keep it to yourself.

Space Battleship Yamato got good reviews, despite being based off an anime, despite having a lot of CGI, and despite being a Japanese production.

Other good Japanese productions based on anime/manga:

Always - Sunset on Third Street
Detroit Metal City
Air Doll
Thermae Romae
Smuggler
Ace Attorney
Spence

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Humph...

Live Action adaptations will always have their naysayers. Some for real reasons, such as the makers ignoring the source materials and going off on a tangent. And others that simply live in a dark place and must give themselves worth by tearing down everything else.

A Patlabor live action stands a great chance to be good. I have watched several CGI heavy shows in the last few years that have turned out very good and entertaining. From the Space Battleship Yamato movie (mentioned before, which I really enjoyed) to TV series such as Sanctuary (also a fun ride, and extremely reliant on CGI).

But in the end, every attempt that falls short paves the way for the next try. Without disasters like the first Punisher movie and Daredevil, we would never have gotten Ironman, Captain America or The Avengers.

Whether you liked them or not, anime based movies like the Transformers, Space Battleship Yamato and Dragonball Z, Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li all pushed anime based live action forward. Some of them may have completely missed the mark story-wise, but all of them advanced the concept.

Look at all the years of cheesy and frankly bad fantasy shows/movies we endured before we got Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.

I am 100% on board with a live action Patlabor movie or series. I think it is a good choice and will be one of the easier mecha based stories to bring to the screen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2