• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Silver Spoon Anime's Character Designs, More Staff Revealed

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kuromamushi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
It's not like everyone has to like Silver Spoon, but people who say Arakawa isn't as ambitious or serious with Silver Spoon as she was with FMA don't know what they're talking about. If anything, she aiming even higher.

Creating a good manga isn't all about grand scale epic battles and such, but also making everyday life interesting. What separates a good and a great storyteller is that a good storyteller can make an intense action story interesting to read but a great storyteller can make something like making pizza or going to an agricultural school a great read.

I think it's awesome Arakawa didn't go on to create another fantasy manga but rather try something entirely different. That might've been a gamble, but she pulled it off, as Silver Spoon just happens to be some of the best shounen manga in general has to offer in this day and age.
senpai27

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:44 am Reply with quote
As Silver Spoon is all about farming and agricultural, it's understandable that it's not everyone's cup of tea. It's a different story for Japanese people, they love and appreciate greatly their agricultural history, that's why Silver Spoon becomes very popular in Japan.

In fact, I remember there was to be a compilation of several mangaka's oneshots about farming in their hometown. Agricultural industry is a big deal for the Japanese, something that people outside Japan won't quite understand.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:37 am Reply with quote
Just don't let Mizushima direct it. He'll put nazis or aliens in the farm.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 7:59 am Reply with quote
I stopped reading not because of lack of enjoyment of the title but because of lack of enjoyment of following weekly scanlations Online (why can't someone license the manga already?)

But it's funny to me that people say Arakawa is "less ambitious" because she isn't writing another fantasy epic. Apparently doing the same thing twice makes you more ambitious.

The fact that Silver Spoon is so different from FMA yet well received in Japan by audiences and critics means absolutely nothing either.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:33 am Reply with quote
The reaction to Hiromu Arakawa in the west has always puzzled me. In Japan she's a million seller, and her second manga was one of the most successful in Japan despite not having an anime yet but in America she's never been able to escape the 2003 adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist which I found to be barely above average in the first place.

sainta wrote:

I am just glad Shou Aikawa isn't writing it or the whole thing would be about how American Beef sucks, and that Maize taste like crap and then America will invade the school to find out the secret to Japan's superior farming techniques.
Ultimatum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:53 am Reply with quote
Can't wait to start watching this one! I loved FMA, but I'd like to see what Ms. Arakawa can do on the other end of the spectrum of manga-making!

I'm all for her trying different genres, and since she grew up on a farm, this one should be pretty insightful.
Veroniku

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:27 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The reaction to Hiromu Arakawa in the west has always puzzled me. In Japan she's a million seller, and her second manga was one of the most successful in Japan despite not having an anime yet but in America she's never been able to escape the 2003 adaptation of Fullmetal Alchemist which I found to be barely above average in the first place.

I couldn't agree more. Somehow the western audience stuck to the 2003 adaptation and won't let go, even with all those plot holes! Then the manga and Brotherhood didn't get as much recognition... I guess people prefer the depressing mood of the original anime?

I can't wait for the Silver Spoon anime because I know Arakawa always has tons of stuff hidden under her sleeves...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I stopped reading not because of lack of enjoyment of the title but because of lack of enjoyment of following weekly scanlations Online (why can't someone license the manga already?)

But it's funny to me that people say Arakawa is "less ambitious" because she isn't writing another fantasy epic. Apparently doing the same thing twice makes you more ambitious.

The fact that Silver Spoon is so different from FMA yet well received in Japan by audiences and critics means absolutely nothing either.

Just who said she was less ambitious? All I recall if people saying it's hard to believe that she could make such a drastic change of themes. I don't think the word "ambition" had been brought up on the matter before you and Kuromamushi mentioned it
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:38 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

Just who said she was less ambitious? All I recall if people saying it's hard to believe that she could make such a drastic change of themes. I don't think the word "ambition" had been brought up on the matter before you and Kuromamushi mentioned it

No, poster(s) were complaining about "the change of theme".

And this is not the only place I have seen the complaint in the Western fandom.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
sainta wrote:

I am just glad Shou Aikawa isn't writing it or the whole thing would be about how American Beef sucks, and that Maize taste like crap and then America will invade the school to find out the secret to Japan's superior farming techniques.

Both of those things would be more interesting than the way it is.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Japanese preferred the first FMA TV series, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:54 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Also, if I'm not mistaken, the Japanese preferred the first FMA TV series, too.

Charred Knight is comparing Arakawa to Aikawa.

Arakawa wrote the manga not Brotherhood. Brotherhood was adapted from her work
Aikawa wrote the first series.

In Japan the Fullmetal Alchemist manga was definitely well received. It was consistently a top seller and it won awards. And Arakawa continues to have success in Japan with Silver Spoon

But yes the first anime was also a success in Japan. Brotherhood didn't do badly but no not nearly as good as the first anime.

However Brotherhood says nothing about Arakawa's success.

Last edited by Maidenoftheredhand on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Arakawa wrote the manga not Brotherhood. Brotherhood was adapted from her work
Aikawa wrote the first series.

In Japan the Fullmetal Alchemist manga was definitely well received. It was consistently a top seller and it won awards. And Arakawa continues to have success in Japan with Silver Spoon.

Thanks for the history lesson, but I have a pretty firm grip on FMA, being part of the fan community for several years.

My point was that all the derision of what CK and others didn't like in the first TV series and disappointment Arakawa's vision isn't more popular isn't such a North American thing, because the first series was wildly popular in Japan, as well. What is a NA thing tends to be the dislike for the first show based on it not being a complete adaptation of the manga. I don't see a lot of Japanese fans complaining about the Nazis and Cyber-Archer (though that last thing was really weird, I'm surprised that doesn't bother more people).

Of course Arakawa's manga was popular. I'm disappointed it wasn't more popular everywhere (whereas far inferior manga like One Piece outpace it in popularity). But I also like the first TV series quite a bit. I certainly like it more than a manga about farmers making pizza.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:04 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

My point was that all the derision of what they didn't like in the first TV series and disappointment Arakawa's vision isn't more popular isn't such a North American thing, because the first series was wildly popular in Japan, as well.

And I am saying the difference in the anime's popularity actually have nothing to do with Arakawa since the manga was still ridiculously popular and that is what she actually wrote.

As for what Japanese fans feel about the differences between the two versions, I don't really know.

Quote:
Of course Arakawa's manga was popular. I'm disappointed it wasn't more popular everywhere (whereas far inferior manga like One Piece outpace it in popularity).

Fullmetal Alchemist might get most of its sales from Japan (but that is true for most manga including One Piece) but it still sold well internationally.

Quote:
But I also like the first TV series quite a bit. I certainly like it more than a manga about farmers making pizza.

But what you like or dislike really has nothing do with how good a series actually is.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
No, poster(s) were complaining about "the change of theme"

You sure? Read again.

Quote:
I still can't believe Arakawa went from FMA to a dull argicultural manga. But I guess you write what you know.

Quote:
it's hard to believe that the woman who wrote FMA suddenly decided to draw a story of farms and agrictulture

There's no talk about ambition or lack thereof, but that the themes are so radically different
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:21 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:

There's no talk about ambition or lack thereof, but that the themes are so radically different

Oh no there were no complaints about the change of themes at all. Dull apparently just means different.

Quote:
I still can't believe Arakawa went from FMA to a dull argicultural manga. But I guess you write what you know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3