• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation to Unveil New Anime Next Friday

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parse Error

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:26 pm Reply with quote
phoenixalia wrote:
I know you can't judge from silhouettes but it doesn't look [like] a moe anime...at least, I hope not.

If you can't judge from silhouettes, then what are you judging from for it to make any sense to use that term at this point?

Anyway, I really hope this is going to be the swimming anime, it would really be a shame if they didn't make it after the reception that PV received.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
We all know its going to be Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai 2: A Lily Blooms Over the Unseen Horizon

Man, what does it take to get them to consider adapting a yuri title? KyoAni doing it would probably give the subgenre a much needed boost in popularity.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Yuri can eff off, it's already got enough of a hold on anime already.

Where's my ho yay anime, dammit. We don't even get subtext these days.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Gee, maybe it's another slice-of-life fecal pile where the animation is beautiful and the art detailed but the story is about a bunch of weepy and/or cutsie imbeciles who are either dying from plot illness or form a school club!

That's only pretty nearly every KyoAni project ever.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
Fencedude5609 wrote:
We all know its going to be Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai 2: A Lily Blooms Over the Unseen Horizon

Man, what does it take to get them to consider adapting a yuri title? KyoAni doing it would probably give the subgenre a much needed boost in popularity.

Girlfriends adapted by KyoAni
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:23 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Yuri can eff off, it's already got enough of a hold on anime already.

Oh yes, there's just sooooo much yuri anime. Lemme count all the ones we got last year. ...... Ummmmmmmm..... Oh, I guess there was that second season of Yuru Yuri? I kind of enjoy it, but it barely qualifies as yuri. The best shows for yuri were Mouretsu Pirates and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, neither of which were yuri shows by any stretch, they simply had some lesbians in them.

Certainly fans of male homosexual romance have it even worse when it comes to anime, but to act like yuri has any sort of "hold" is ludicrous. (No, slight subtext in a few shows hear and there and the occasional one-sided crushes like Kuroko in Railgun is not remotely equivalent to actual yuri shows like Sasameki Koto, Aoi Hana or even freaking Strawberry Panic).
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:24 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Gee, maybe it's another slice-of-life fecal pile where the animation is beautiful and the art detailed but the story is about a bunch of weepy and/or cutsie imbeciles who are either dying from plot illness or form a school club!

I haven't even watched half of what KyoAni produces and I know you're wrong.

Preeeeetty sure there wasn't a club in Lucky Star or Chuunibyou for one.

Quote:
Oh yes, there's just sooooo much yuri anime. Lemme count all the ones we got last year. ...... Ummmmmmmm..... Oh, I guess there was that second season of Yuru Yuri? I kind of enjoy it, but it barely qualifies as yuri. The best shows for yuri were Mouretsu Pirates and Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere, neither of which were yuri shows by any stretch, they simply had some lesbians in them.

Certainly fans of male homosexual romance have it even worse when it comes to anime, but to act like yuri has any sort of "hold" is ludicrous. (No, slight subtext in a few shows hear and there and the occasional one-sided crushes like Kuroko in Railgun is not remotely equivalent to actual yuri shows like Sasameki Koto, Aoi Hana or even freaking Strawberry Panic).

That wasn't my point. My point is that practically every single goddamn anime these days has yuri subtext. Enough already.

I mean, us yaoi fans are used to seeing the slightest subtext and just flat-out making shit up when even that fails, but come on.
grooven

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Now the more I look at this I think it must be Swimming men anime judging by hairstyles Anime hyper
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
uh, there most definitely was a club in chuunibyou.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:28 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

That wasn't my point. My point is that practically every single goddamn anime these days has yuri subtext. Enough already.

I mean, us yaoi fans are used to seeing the slightest subtext and just flat-out making shit up when even that fails, but come on.

So I assume you are watching Maousama, right?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
I've only seen the first episode and that was back when it aired--the summary for the show didn't mention it much.

In any case, from what I've seen of the show the club really isn't the main focus.

Quote:
So I assume you are watching Maousama, right?

Of course I am. Satan is too hawt<3

I eagerly await the doujins...I should check /y/ to see if any fanart's been released...
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:

Most yuri shipping is the same thing. A few shows here and there actually push it a bit but most of it is just girls being friends and people running with it. What shows actually have anything resembling yuri subtext in them this season? There's Kuroko in Railgun and then there are some scenes in Yuyushiki that are clearly intended to appeal to us but beyond that.... I think that's it. Oh, fanservice shows tend to do the "oh my, your boobs have grown again, let me feel you up" which I don't even count as yuri. Some seasons have slightly more than that, but that's pretty standard.

Again, I understand that yaoi fans have it worse but acting like anime is just overflowing with yuri is absurd.
dan9999

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

This time I have to say, nice description, in crude words, it comes down it it yes.

For yuri lovers: If you want Yuri then you should be praying for Marimite S5, and definitely not to kyoani. Now Marimite is high quality, high class YURI and not "yuri".
musouka

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Convince Japanese fans to buy more yuri shows (as opposed to yuri-flavored shows) and you'll get more of them. It's an honest pity that subtext sells better than text, but that's the state of the market at this point in time.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:03 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Please let it be Swimming Anime.

You read my mind, comrade. Sure, the bishounen bait is a given, but I'm genuinely psyched at the prospect of an anime focused on competitive swimming. If a series is done well any topic can be fascinating to people who might never have cared otherwise. Such has been the case for me with sports anime in the past so I'm crossing all my fingers and toes for the KyoAni Swimming Anime! Anime hyper

As much as I adore KyoAni's lavish visuals, lately I haven't been able to summon the wherewithal to care. I think the formula - for lack of a better term - of "cute girls doing everyday things cutely with vague-to-overt yuri undertones" drags after awhile, and given that some of the character designs even seem to look the same, my heart's just not been in it.
Hoping that will change with this next project. Shows like Canaan, Hyouka, and Another, though imperfect certainly, have captured my attention and had my eyes glued to the screen in recent years. Here's to a (hopeful) return to the offbeat track. *brofist*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 17