• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Planetes (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Marathon Episodes 11-14: Boundary Line, A Modest Request, Scenery With a Rocket, Turning Point.

These episodes deal with borders, boundaries and restrictions. Yuri asks Hachi's younger brother if he see's a boundary in the sky. The brother starts to give a scientific explanation and Yuri replies that it's true but he doesn't think of there being a boundary between earth and space. spoiler[In a similar vein an engineer cries out to the earth from space that there are no borders to be seen from space. Rules created by the assistant manager try to restrict Hachi and Tanabe's burgeoning romance. Terrorists try to destroy the space station in an attempt to create a debris field so large around the earth that it will restrict man to the ground]. Artificial borders, boundaries, rules and ideas can restrict both human freedom and peace. It keeps people apart and keeps them from working together. Yet amid all the turmoil and potential danger these episodes are also the most hopeful.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Marathon Episodes 15-18: In Her Case, Ignition, His Reasons, Debris Section Last Day.

These episodes basically develop some of the characters and act as a transition for where they will be going. I was actually surprised spoiler[I didn't think that they would shut down the Debris Section], but it basically acts as a catalyst to move characters to a new stage. Hachi spoiler[goes thru a crisis but finds new purpose. The astronaut bug has bit him once again, but he starts to realize that it may effect his relationship with Tanabe. The presence of his father and his long suffering mother show that the apple does not fall far from the tree]. We also get to understand how vital space is to the economic well being of earth. Previous economic turmoil due to loss of resources had profound affects on the political, social and economic lives of people. spoiler[Assistant manager Robbie struggles to support his large family, Claire and Hakim both come from war torn countries that were affected by the loss of oil, Edel the quiet and professional secretary came from a desperate and impoverished background]. Also more corporate politics.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:42 am Reply with quote
Marathon Episodes 19-26: Endings Are Always..., Tentative Steps, Tandem Mirror, Exposure, Debris Cluster, Love, The Lost, And the Days We Chance Upon...

The last eight episodes become the most intense in the entire series. In part it focuses on Hachi's personal struggles: spoiler[his drive, ambition, sense of inadequacy, fear of loneliness and closeness]. It also focuses on spoiler[the terrorist plot. The terrorism is driven by several ideological components. An environmental one, an economic one, and a political one]. Most significantly the spoiler[terrorists] aren't all mustachio twirling villains with a legion of goons. You find examples of spoiler[the true believer, the disenfranchised and manipulated recruit, and the old men who have their own agenda]. Some of the people in the company like Claire find themselves frustrated and powerless. Unable to move up the corporate ladder her situation mirrors that of the economic and political situation on the ground. spoiler[Smaller and poorer countries struggling in the shadow of larger countries. The race for space is seen as one that will only benefit the large corporations from the larger wealthier countries. The mission to Jupiter is seen as a waste of money by some elements while there are people starving on earth. It is little wonder that Claire finds herself emotionally manipulated into the ranks of the terrorists].

These last episodes were tightly interwoven with elements that the show had created in the beginning. I have a few criticisms. For example, I wasn't too crazy how Hachi's existential angst was presented. Also that Ai is basically spoiler[left behind pregnant to wait the return of her man in 7 years. That seemed a little unrealistic as not many people would be able to handle the separation and comes off a little bit as the dutiful wife waiting at home and raising the kids]. Otherwise, I thought this was an excellent series that ramped up the stakes in the last third of the show and finished strongly. Not many shows, even good ones can finish strongly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7