• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Head: Tsunami is 'Divine Punishment'—Haruhi's Yamakan Responds

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ConanSan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:37 am Reply with quote
So, let's be clear here.

Not only has he not offered condolences (as fake as they would be from such a hate-filled wizened old shell of a man) he's basically invoked the "Pearl Harbor" sentiment within his own country?

Now, I know you can't fire this guy, but in any other (free) country he'd be dragged by the tie in front of some disciplinary committee and (not literally) batted until he was red, white and blue.

Last edited by ConanSan on Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
jsyxx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:42 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, many Scholars can't exactly agree on passages that relate to S&G. Depending on who you talk to, S&G got done in by a a whole myriad of reasons. I kinda like the theory/passage that S&G got done in by....a lack of hospitality.

It all boils down to God decidiing to destroy the cities for being "wicked." Thus, for some people, these horrendous atttitudes go back to that book. Unfortuantley, some people's "moral compass" doesn't go beyond what someone tells them a several thousand year old piece of propganda says.

Quote:
Ishihara has been saying such things for decades, and he's already been re-elected twice. Does anyone think this will change anything? The Japanese people already knew who they were voting for.

He mainly spews hatred aimed at foreigners, minorities, and young people. You really think the Japanese will be ok with him doing the same with the innocent women, children, and elderly who died in that Tsunami?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:53 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:

Quote:
Ishihara has been saying such things for decades, and he's already been re-elected twice. Does anyone think this will change anything? The Japanese people already knew who they were voting for.

He mainly spews hatred aimed at foreigners, minorities, and young people. You really think the Japanese will be ok with him doing the same with the innocent women, children, and elderly who died in that Tsunami?

Oh, he says a lot of things. People either just ignore it or are fellow ultra-traditionalists who believe Japan needs to be purified. Oh he'll get re-elected - Japan are inertia voters.
momomochi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:07 am Reply with quote
Just...wow. I dont know about you...But I hope this little stunt of his permanently screws him over from ever being re-elected....
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:22 am Reply with quote
J-Syxx wrote:
Quote:
Actually, many Scholars can't exactly agree on passages that relate to S&G. Depending on who you talk to, S&G got done in by a a whole myriad of reasons. I kinda like the theory/passage that S&G got done in by....a lack of hospitality.

It all boils down to God deciding to destroy the cities for being "wicked." Thus, for some people, these horrendous attitudes go back to that book. Unfortunate, some people's "moral compass" doesn't go beyond what someone tells them a several thousand year old piece of propaganda says.

Ah yes. I remember one time I shot down some Fundie Student in my college once by asking him if he was willing to sell me his sister to me in slavery. I forgot what passage that was, but it pretty much shut him up quickly. He never looked at me the same way again.
TheRussianMeatClob

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:58 am Reply with quote
Hey guys look what I found it's his apology.

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110315x7.html

Is it just me or does this thing just not feel like an apology at all.

I mean if anyone in japan has an ego problem its him.
Blackjack Gabbiani

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:27 am Reply with quote
Not just you. Should have thought about the feelings of victims? How about "should have thought about basic earth science", for starters.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 am Reply with quote
The guy recanted.

http://www.47news.jp/CN/201103/CN2011031501000396.html

Quote:
“I deeply hurt the victims, as well as the people of the capital and the nation [...] I withdraw my remark and I am deeply sorry for this.”

But....

Quote:
“As the head of the administration, my use of a phrase like ‘divine punishment’ without sufficient elaboration was lacking. I am deeply sympathetic to the miserable and dismal plight of the victims.

As Tokyo governor I will do my very best to relieve the plight of these victims.”

Yeah, right.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:20 am Reply with quote
NakamuraYumeko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:26 am Reply with quote
How sick to say something like that when Japan is in crisis right now, I certainly hope he never gets reelected or elected (to run anything) ever again, seems like he not only puts his foot in his mouth alot, but his aplologies seem hollow...
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:33 am Reply with quote
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:35 am Reply with quote
NakamuraYumeko wrote:
How sick to say something like that when Japan is in crisis right now, I certainly hope he never gets reelected or elected (to run anything) ever again, seems like he not only puts his foot in his mouth alot, but his aplologies seem hollow...

He'll get re-elected. 3-1 odds.
Banjo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:36 am Reply with quote
I hope that this crazy man get kicked out from Japan
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:38 am Reply with quote
I think Ishihara is divine punishment against Tokyo for having too many voters who are clearly majorly retarded.
hymnofvalefor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:57 am Reply with quote
That governor has it coming to him,
Thanks Yamakan!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10