• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Vote for Petite Cossette Contest Winner

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Copper Rings

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:42 pm Reply with quote
minakichan wrote:

...Somehow, I don't think you should actually say that. People might get ideas--particularly people who are cleverer than whatever 12-year-old "leet haxor wannabe" did #14.

edit||*slap!* nevermind, as ANN has decided to do the IP address count thingy... *shuts up*

I think that might have been better from the get go to do IP. When I looked at the voting, I had to be honest, my first thought was "uh oh, this is ripe for abuse...." I'd rather the loopholes be known publicly and watched for. The prize is for Lolita design, not hax0ring.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Copper Rings wrote:
minakichan wrote:

...Somehow, I don't think you should actually say that. People might get ideas--particularly people who are cleverer than whatever 12-year-old "leet haxor wannabe" did #14.

edit||*slap!* nevermind, as ANN has decided to do the IP address count thingy... *shuts up*

I think that might have been better from the get go to do IP. When I looked at the voting, I had to be honest, my first thought was "uh oh, this is ripe for abuse...." I'd rather the loopholes be known publicly and watched for. The prize is for Lolita design, not hax0ring.

Well, we all learn from our mistakes. Very Happy We certainly learned from this one. *watches in amusement as one IP address continually spams one of the entries*
Chibi Nuku

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:23 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
And there are a couple other really similar sets of entries (ie 144 and 145, which aren't half-bad, btw), but they aren't getting as much pub as 14.

Thank you. 144 and 145 are both mine. The rules stated that you could submit multiple entries and I couldn't decide which color scheme I liked best, so I entered with both of them.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:25 am Reply with quote
Okay. That explains why some entries looked eerily similar.

11 has nine votes now! Go 11! Very Happy
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:44 am Reply with quote
I voted for 30 myself. I like well done pencil drawings and I just think they work well for this type of subject matter as well. As far as they went I just found 30 seemed right, not ridiculously overboard but still had the gothic feel about it, especially the expression.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
shenlongmizuno

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:02 am Reply with quote
For me it was a tossup between 124 and 115, their styles appeal to me even though 115 isn't too gothy. And how the hell is 14 in second? Not dissing it but honestly..
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:08 am Reply with quote
I voted based on originality. Too many of these entries look alike.

I chose 26, which is the vaguely miltary one. The little gold stars stood out, and there was enough about it to be gothy (i.e. - the black petticoat, the headband, etc.)
WhiteRaven

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:18 am Reply with quote
A lot of them were pretty dang good, but ya, the "winners" seem awfully bland. And some of the really good ones didn't understand the concept of goth-loli. Some of them were too goth and not enough loli. Then there were some that were too loli and not enough goth. But good job to the contestants.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rpb3000

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:33 am Reply with quote
I was stuck between 82 and 100, and ended up going with 100 because I know the artist. That's prolly not a great reason either, but I just like it better in general. (Then again, I also know the artist who did 81, and I think the overdid the coloring leaving it too blurry, so that's why I didn't pick hers.) As far as the person asking about 100, I think he overlaid his char on an inverted picture of a random church in Detroit. He has a habit of architecture photography, and it was fitting with the theme.

But yeah, boo to cheating, and may the best drawing win. There are a lot of talented artists out there! I wish I was one of them -_-;;
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
i voted 59, i doubt they'll win though.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Woo! My choice is tied for 20th! (Not including the FTL'ers) Yay! Laughing

I should probably stop this.
sycomonkey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quote
I liked so many them it was hard to choose.

82: I voted for this one. It's just very stylish, and the fact that the person could draw well helped to express what they were trying to get across about the dress.

12: This one was virtually tied. I particularly liked how the sash... thing, whatever, was held on the hands.

43 & 66: Wings are cool.

51 and especially 26 are very highly detailed and cool.

And is it just me or does 6 look a bit like Reki from Haibane?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quote
After a lot of debate with myself, I decided to stick with the original Japanese ゴスロリ (Gothic Lolita) style, and ignore the way a lot of the entries confused this with American Goth styles. So I picked a Goth-Loli that was well-crafted; didn't wear all-black; and didn't look gloomy and suicidal.

I picked 85.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Not surprisingly, Mr. Danger-san, I can't argue with your choice.

Man, I need to stop looking at this thread. Everytime someone announces a pick, I have to go back and look at it. So annoying. Anime hyper
Tsunami Jones

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
#112 FTW. With the sutble composition, the absolutely fantastic background, the heart-breaking sorrow on her face . . . how could you not vote for that?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4