• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Advent Children scheduled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Ok, can't you just agree to disagree? You don't like it and won't spend your money buying the amercian version. END OF STORY! So please, both of you STOP.

Anyway, I watched it as well (waiting to get my hands on Last Order as well) Here's what I think:

Awesome fight scenes, little plot (even though I didn't notice, nor care, I was so captivited by the CG and fight scenes I was like, plot? I don't care because it's preeeettyyyyy) Unfortunatly some things were cliche and as people have mentioned, the origins of Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo weren't explained, but oh well, what will be, will be.

I am planning to add the amercian release to my christmas list because it was such a great movie, action an CG wise, that I can't help but want to own it. Plus I'm curious about the english version. As someone mentioned earlier about the fact that when some people download they buy the actual DVDs (or don't). I'm one of those types of people who it all really depends on the dub. If I have seen that particlar anime in japanese, heard a clip from the english, and said "HELL NO!" I definatly won't buy it. If, however the dub is tollerable, or good, I do buy it. Ex: I saw almost all of Chrno Crusade, bought 2 of the DVDs, and desided that the dub was so horrible it wasn't worth my time, nor my parents money (since I'm 16 and have no source of income for myself, I have to be VERY thoughtful about what animes I buy, and if I truely need/want them or not) And in some cases it all depends on your financial situation. Like myslef, I sometimes don't have the ability to buy an anime (most of the time it's manga I can only buy) so sometimes I can't support the dub and go out and buy it. There are many factors that go into supporting DVD releases, not just, I think such and such is horrbile about it, and if though I have the abiltiy to buy it, I won't.
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I'll drink to that.

Especially since I never once intended on starting a flame war.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 6:17 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Ok, can't you just agree to disagree? You don't like it and won't spend your money buying the amercian version. END OF STORY! So please, both of you STOP.

1. Thanks but no thanks for the backseat modding.

I understand Advent Children is available as a bootleg.

This forum openly frowns upon bootlegs, especially of something that's obviously licensed for US release, like Advent Children. I'm getting annoyed with everyone piping in with "Well I stole this movie from the internet, here are my thoughts!".

Anyone caught talking at length about how they stole this movie from the internet is getting a week-long ban, period. Got it?
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Hurray for there finally being a release date! Myself and several of my good friends have been most impatiently awaiting this! I will definately be going out and buying this movie. Despite some negative reviews I'm still very excited in seeing this movie. Even if no plot comes out if, it will be a nice visual treat for a computer graphics student like myself. I hope there are bunches of "making of" features and it would certianly be nice if we got a lot if not all of the extras that the Japanese version contains, but if we don't, and I'm really that interested in them..there's always importing!

After November 29th (now circled on my calendar), I'll just have to wait impatiently for half a month for Kingdom Hearts 2!
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Not meaning to rain on this moment but....

Shouldn't this also be taken with a grain of salt? Sony and Square Enix haven't made an official announcement yet. This could be another false alarm.

Also, please consider spoiler tags if you discuss the plot.
Maceart

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Bah. Sony made a big booboo this time. FFVII was one of the best selling RPGs for the playstation in Japan AND the US. Why didn't they have a theatrical release in the US too?
Whearn9999

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quote
Well, I'm not going to hold my breath. However, besides the other locations mentioned earlier, RACS also has a Nov 29 release date listed. It also lists both english and japanese languages. So, I will have to say my level of optimism is elevated.

No matter what day it is released, it is a MUST-BUY for me Smile
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:59 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:

1. Thanks but no thanks for the backseat modding.

I understand Advent Children is available as a bootleg.

This forum openly frowns upon bootlegs, especially of something that's obviously licensed for US release, like Advent Children. I'm getting annoyed with everyone piping in with "Well I stole this movie from the internet, here are my thoughts!".

Anyone caught talking at length about how they stole this movie from the internet is getting a week-long ban, period. Got it?

C'mon...aren't you getting a bit overly excited here? You don't have to be rude like that man. I'm not trying to start anything here and I don't want to get flamed for saying anything. All I'm saying is that you don't have to be pushy and rude if no one else was. If they downloaded it that's fine...that should be their business and I was fairly certain that as long as they don't post any links to where they downloaded it or ask where they can download it at, they weren't breaking any rules by talking about it. Just assuming that because they talked about the film that they must have downloaded it and must be banned is a bit silly. What happens if they bought the region 2 disc? Just assuming the worst and then banning someone for an assumption isn't quite fair.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:03 am Reply with quote
Maceart wrote:
Why didn't they have a theatrical release in the US too?

Advent Children didn't have a Japanese Theatrical release either so I have no idea what you're blahblahing about.
Bunk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:25 am Reply with quote
I played FVII in 1998, and hands down, it was the most engrossing, emotionally gripping game I've ever played. I loved it. I was so excited when I found out about the movie, I thought my head would explode!

Quote:
Not like I feel I should justify myself to anyone. But If I download anime, and I like it, I do buy it. If I don't like it, I don't buy it.

ditto. My collection is enormous. Can't wait for them to start releasing the Naruto dvds. I'll buy FFVIIAC for sure when it comes out. I'll buy copies for my friends for Christmas if they make it in time. Hell. I'd buy the Japanese Ultimate Edition release if I could find it somewhere for that Magical $270, instead of $450 plus $150 shipping on ebay. I wonder if Kinokuniya has it... (anyone have any links to where they're selling the ultimate edition domestically?) I heard the game included has had the graphics replaced with the new character designs...is that true?

And I loved it, btw. I would have been disappointed with anymore time spent on a deep involving plot. The original story was good enough, and they let enough of that trickle into AC. Besides, I don't watch a big CG movie like that for the drama. I want action with those graphics, man, and that's exactly what we got. It was AWESOME. Perfect.

I wonder if they'll eventually make a 26-episode anime out of the game itself... I'd be so happy!
jay saenz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:14 am Reply with quote
I watched the movie 2 days ago... nice animation, the cg is really worked here, they took care of every detail.

The characters look awesome and the battles are great... and for the FF fans, this movie is just like a dream come true.

I guess i would be cool to buy it once it reaches The US on december.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:

C'mon...aren't you getting a bit overly excited here? You don't have to be rude like that man. I'm not trying to start anything here and I don't want to get flamed for saying anything. All I'm saying is that you don't have to be pushy and rude if no one else was. If they downloaded it that's fine...that should be their business and I was fairly certain that as long as they don't post any links to where they downloaded it or ask where they can download it at, they weren't breaking any rules by talking about it. Just assuming that because they talked about the film that they must have downloaded it and must be banned is a bit silly. What happens if they bought the region 2 disc? Just assuming the worst and then banning someone for an assumption isn't quite fair.

It's not open for discussion. Talking about the film is fine, talking at length about how you stole it and now you won't buy it is not cool. Capice?
DragonsRevenge

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 5:44 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Zac"]
LeoKnight25 wrote:

It's not open for discussion. Talking about the film is fine, talking at length about how you stole it and now you

That's what I did. I said I watched it, and it's not worth the money. Yeah, I said I [deleted] it, too, but that was after all the moral zealots (including you) jumped down my throat.
Demaar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:14 am Reply with quote
Whearn9999 wrote:
Well, I'm not going to hold my breath. However, besides the other locations mentioned earlier, RACS also has a Nov 29 release date listed. It also lists both english and japanese languages. So, I will have to say my level of optimism is elevated.
That definitely explains why the release is staggered.
Sony wants to protect their precious over-inflated Japanese market, and with an uncut US version with Japanese language options released at the same time, the hardcore fans (Who really, are probably the only people there who are going to buy this) would probably be capable enough of importing it.
It's a damn shame for Square, because sales are sales, really, and the delay is going to hurt them more than anything Confused
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DVDaholic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 10:33 am Reply with quote
I'm always amazed by people who buy bootlegs or who download anime/movies/games and then try and justify it. "I was just testing it to see if I like it", "I always buy the legitimate release later", blah, blah, blah...

What a load.

These days people somehow think that they deserve everything they want, when they want it, and they don't care how it's done.

But guess what? It doesn't matter why they are doing it, or what they are doing afterwards. It's illegal, and it hurts the industry. It's really not that hard to understand.

You wouldn't have someone steal a car for you so that you could buy it at a lower price, or so that you could test drive it before you buy it, would you? Of course not. You would go to a showroom, or talk to other people who own one, or do reasearch, etc..

It's really no different with anime. There are many ways to see if you will like an Anime series or movie before you buy it. Rent it first, talk to other fans, read reviews, watch trailers...the list goes on.

Yes, you may sometimes buy something you don't like. Boo Hoo. Get over it.

Just because you can't afford it, or have the patience of a three year old and can't wait, does not make it ok to steal it. You can try and rationalize it all you want, but it doesn't make it any better, or less illegal.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6