• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why read manga?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vhaeraun

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:43 pm Reply with quote
I'm genuinely curious as to whether reading manga is truly fulfilling. I'm a bit leery about trying manga due to the simple fact that I'm not sure how easy it is to connect to the characters without hearing their 'voice'.

Being a relative newcomer to anime - been watching anime for roughly about a month - I've found myself easily drawn into a good storyline due to the voicings of some characters. How easy is it to connect to a character within a manga? Maybe a better question would be: Why do you read manga?

A final question: is it worth reading the manga of a series already watched on anime?
timesteel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:48 pm Reply with quote
I would say ya some are worth reading depending on how much the anime diverges from the manga. for example with anime like Akira people think it's great but the manga is almost a completely different story and it's like 10 times better in my opinion.
Paploo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Many adaptations of manga differ greatly form their source material- sometimes there'll be small differences, but in different franchises you'll see some major differences.
-if it started out as an anime project, you'll often see manga that are meant to be side stories, telling stuff they couldn't get to in the anime. Sometimes you'll even see a series continue beyond the anime, and offer a different take on things, like the still-ongoing Evangelion manga from the series character designer [published by VIZ].
-if it's an adaptation of a manga/comic, there's all kinds of differences that could pop up. Anime budgets are limited, so you'll see a lot of movies and short OVA series adaption a small part or condensing a really long manga series that might not even have an ending
-you'll also have lots of alternate endings- the FMA manga continues way beyond the anime, as does the Trigun manga. When manga can run for years at a time in Japan, and anime last just 3-6 months on TV, there's a lot of possiblity for differences.

-there's also tons of great series that will never be animated. Also, if you liked an anime, you might want to check out the manga artist's other works.

-Do you like reading? Do you like comics? If yes to either of those, then you should probably read manga. If you don't read, well, manga/comics are a good place to start as anything. Reading's good for you Smile
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Vhaeraun wrote:
Being a relative newcomer to anime - been watching anime for roughly about a month - I've found myself easily drawn into a good storyline due to the voicings of some characters.

OK, I'll bite:
  1. So what have you watched? (and to what degree have you liked/disliked what you've seen?) Annnd.....
  2. Exactly what got you seeking out Anime in particular in the 1st place?

As far as Why read manga? is concerned, all I can say is to quote that refrain: "Different strokes, for different folks!"
einhorn303

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:07 pm Reply with quote
Vhaeraun wrote:
I'm genuinely curious as to whether reading manga is truly fulfilling. I'm a bit leery about trying manga due to the simple fact that I'm not sure how easy it is to connect to the characters without hearing their 'voice'....How easy is it to connect to a character within a manga?

The same could be said about all books. I think people have done fine connecting with the characters of books, for the past, say, 561 years.

Vhaeraun wrote:
A final question: is it worth reading the manga of a series already watched on anime?

Some people see stories as something to watch once, then dispose of. But for me my favorite series are things I can enjoy over and over again. Each time I watch or read them again, I'm reunited with my beloved characters and simmered in the nostalgic mood and setting. So I still think one can enjoy the same story in a different medium.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, try out your library and see if they have anything you can't borrow for free!

Now, I think it takes a bit of work, but the panels read quite smoothly, so I've never had a problem, if the panels are set up really well, it's a breeze to read! Sometimes you'll also see a really good expression or something and then it's easy to pause on the page and just stare at it for a moment. The lack of color doesn't bother me either, I got used to it. I think I kinda make voices as I read the manga and sometimes when I go to watch the anime I go "Whoa, that's not what I think that character should sound like!"

Now, since you're new to manga, it might be easiest for you to try one for something you've seen the anime of. Pacing can differ widely between the anime and the manga, sometimes anime has to air every week so filler occurs, which can be bad if it spends half an episode recapping or good if it gives more depth to characters. But for me, if you've seen the anime and liked it and it didn't deviate too much from the manga, it's usually not worth your time to double dip unless you really adore the series or the anime and manga are very different from it.

So, here's your homework! Go to your library and rent 3 or 4 different series and at least 10-12 books total if you can. One of those series should be something you've seen the anime of because it might help you get into the flow of reading manga faster (it does take a bit to get really used to it the first time). Just pick up anything that looks interesting to you but get at least one thing that you've not seen the anime of. That should give you a good variety to try and get into manga to see if it's your thing without costing you a dime (unless you return stuff late)
Lightning Leo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
Vhaeraun wrote:
Why do you read manga?

I read manga because...

1) I can stop and appreciate the art and story at my own leisure. When finished, I suddenly have a small gallery with hundreds of pages of art.

2) It's portable. So, I can enjoy it just about anywhere.

3) It's cheaper than anime, which means I can get more story-driven entertainment for my buck.

4) It's a different medium, so it's storytelling style has a different effect compared to anime. It isn't necessarily a stripped down version of a more high-production anime, so much as a different experience with its own unique entertainment value.

5) It's non-commital. I can start and stop reading anywhere, and come back to it easily. Anime basically requires you to set up everything and sit down for an hour or so. Too much effort to schedule that in sometimes, especially with so many distractions.

6) Not all manga becomes anime. Like 20th Century Boys, or Antique Bakery. There are good stories out there worth reading that you won't find in anime form.

Vhaeraun wrote:

Sometimes, yes. Oftentimes the anime diverges from the manga, so you miss out on story if you only stick with one version.

It can also come down to personal preference. I personally prefer to watch the One piece anime than to read the manga. I also personally prefer to read the Eyeshield 21 manga than to watch the anime.
ryan.rp123

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:35 am Reply with quote
in my oppinion, the manga for a series is usually better, due to how you get more story on it, be it small and useless information like in hellsing you need to be a virgin to become a vampire, or like in Trigun where the manga keeps going for another 10 or so volumes (or so I've heard) after the anime ended. depending on what the anime is it may or may not be usefull reading it after watching the show. and the lack of voices isnt a problem, just give them a voice on your head depending on how you would expect them to sound. just like when you read a book. Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Vhaeraun wrote:
I'm genuinely curious as to whether reading manga is truly fulfilling. I'm a bit leery about trying manga due to the simple fact that I'm not sure how easy it is to connect to the characters without hearing their 'voice'.
At least for me, I let my imagination supply the voices, often using voices I'm familiar with like VAs or actors or just people I've met. If you can read normal novels, I don't think you'll have a problem with that.

Now, if you're someone who has trouble reading a regular novel and "hearing the voices in your head" then, yes, manga would probably not be right for you.

Think about it like this: do you "hear" what the various posters have posted? When you read posts here on ANN, do you try to imagine a "voice" speaking the words? If the answer is yes, then manga shouldn't pose any mental hurdle. If the answer is no, then it might.

Vhaeraun wrote:
Being a relative newcomer to anime - been watching anime for roughly about a month - I've found myself easily drawn into a good storyline due to the voicings of some characters. How easy is it to connect to a character within a manga? Maybe a better question would be: Why do you read manga?
First, let me congratulate you on joining anime fandom! I hope, most fervently, that you will ignore the negativity that sometimes spews forth from people who should know better and just embrace the simple love of anime. (I highly recommend you try not to watch only one genre of anime as it can easily lead to burn-out.)

As to your main question: I read manga for several reasons. First, I enjoy seeing the differences between manga and anime when a series has both. Sometimes the anime is better, sometimes the manga, but there's usually some interesting points for both.

Second, there are some wonderful series that haven't been made into anime. I could not have enjoyed Yotsuba! or Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound or many other stories if I didn't read manga. I use those particular examples as I doubt they'll EVER be turned into anime. Another great example is Nightmare of Nunnally, a Code Geass alternate history series that likely will never be animated but offers an interesting new take on the franchise.

Vhaeraun wrote:
It depends. For some series, I think you can enjoy the anime easily without reading the manga. However, some manga are simply so much better than their anime, not reading them keeps you from really getting to the best parts of the stories.

For example, Fruits Basket is a pretty good anime but the manga goes so much further and has a much more satisfying conclusion. The same can be said for Claymore. Really, it depends on if you're satisfied with the anime or if you would want to see more. Unlike some, I don't think you should automatically assume the manga is better. It is your own opinion on the anime that I think should drive your choice to read or not read the manga.

As a fellow fan, I do hope you'll support the industry and refrain from illegal means of watching and reading. Remember: all you have to do to save enough money to buy anime and manga is to skip a few expensive one-time use purchases. (Buying groceries on sale and cooking for yourself instead of eating fast food or going to a restaurant saves hundreds a year if you plan your meals around the sales!)

As a new fan, you'll want to build your collection quickly right? You can save and buy lots of series during TSRI sale! You can check out what your local stores have to offer but beware of bootlegs! You could enter a contest and win 5 free anime!
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:34 pm Reply with quote
I like manga just as much as I like anime honestly, both are great mediums for delivering stories. I don't have any problem connecting with characters in manga so I don't see why you might have a problem with it. But I remember I was "leery" about manga at first too, but once you try it you'll find out there was nothing to be worried about. It's just a matter of getting out there and starting.

As for your second question: Some times it can be fun to read the manga of the anime. If there's a series that diverges from the manga then you can see how both stories unfold (Examples: Akira, Evangelion, Full Metal Alchemist, ect.). Also manga often have allot more material than the anime does (examples: Beck, Soul Eater, Ouran High School Host Club, ect.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, manga is mostly only good for supplementing anime viewing. For instance if the anime you were into had a poor conclusion because they caught up to the manga and you really want to know how the rest of the story goes. This happens very frequently so it can be good motivation to read manga. However, due to the fact the books take so long to come out here I sometimes question if it's really worth it at all.

Definitely prefer anime though when I can be finished with a whole series in a day or two, yet it takes me years to finish a manga.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
In my opinion, manga is mostly only good for supplementing anime viewing.

That's so weird! I feel like it's the exact opposite for me, at least where a series has both and the manga came first. It first came to mind for Cromartie High School for me. Part of this was when the anime directly told you to "go and read the manga", but so much more happens in the manga it's not even funny and the anime is entertaining and all, but it feels like a supplemental thing to the manga for me.

I feel like the anime gets the chance to improve upon something perhaps made unclear by the manga or where it could perhaps use more time in a certain area (like Toward the Terra, I like that the anime spent more time on Naska). Usually the anime gets to be "captain hindsight" and fix any minor issues with the manga, making the anime feel more supplemental to me then the other way around.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
Kruszer wrote:
In my opinion, manga is mostly only good for supplementing anime viewing.

That's so weird! I feel like it's the exact opposite for me, at least where a series has both and the manga came first. It first came to mind for Cromartie High School for me. Part of this was when the anime directly told you to "go and read the manga", but so much more happens in the manga it's not even funny and the anime is entertaining and all, but it feels like a supplemental thing to the manga for me.

I feel like the anime gets the chance to improve upon something perhaps made unclear by the manga or where it could perhaps use more time in a certain area (like Toward the Terra, I like that the anime spent more time on Naska). Usually the anime gets to be "captain hindsight" and fix any minor issues with the manga, making the anime feel more supplemental to me then the other way around.

Well, when I think about supplementary material I think of things like Star Wars: The Essential Guide to *insert subject here* which being a book is less advanced than it's technologically superior series of films which it catalogs and references and includes extra information not found in the films which better extrapolates on certain things. It may not fit the anime/manga situation exactly since the inferior format (manga) came first but if one views anime as a superior evolved form of manga it's good enough. Just to be clear again, it's not that I don't like manga, but I put higher value on pictures that move and have color, sounds, and voices for the characters so thus prefer anime.
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:23 am Reply with quote
I didn't get the impression that you didn't like manga or anything, it's cool.

But when it comes to stuff like, say Death Note: How to Read, that's simply a supplemental book wether you'd read the manga or seen the anime. Some things are just designed to be supplemental like that, like the (Series) guide to (blank). I'm not talking about those though, like the actual series vs the adaptation. Maybe it's just me, but I don't find the color or motion or sound as vital as you may, the only exception I can think of was Mushi-shi where I'd have to admit the adaptation is far better than the original so I only bought volumes 6-10 of the manga since I didn't see the point in buying repeats (I already had the anime). But I think that's a bit of an unusual example seeing how the series is entirely episodic either way. But yeah, I've not doubt that anime adaptations can be better than the original, but I think it's in part due to looking back and fixing mistakes.

But for me, one of the problems that comes with starting an adaptation when the manga is still running is that the anime has to start making stuff up. Add pointless story threads, pointless characters, pointless story arcs (or worse, episodic bs single episodes). I mean, just look at Bleach, when I dropped it around episode 150, it had added a character for its filler arc, they knew it was going to go on that long (I'm not talking about the Bount arc, which at least had an overall story going on). When it started up with story again, it spent a good half of the episode recapping other episodes, it was pretty damn annoying and it's why I quite. I feel like if you had gone for the original manga, you would have saved yourself an awful lot of pointless bs and recaps, but if you wanted to look at things moving and hear them talking, I feel like it was supplemental in that way. Sure, it "added" stuff, but storywise, it didn't add a whole lot of desirable stuff (it added a lot of recap).
wizardz199

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Manga is cheaper than actually buying anime DVD's. Not to mention that a lot of times the manga plot-lines are different compared to their anime counterparts. By buying, reading and watching anime you not only get the whole picture in terms of plot, but you also help the ailing anime industry.

Sorry for the corny endorsement...

[EDIT: Removed advertising link. - Key]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2