• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:03 pm Reply with quote
I guess, though I immediately thought "So, if the medic just sits around and does nothing, don't they win?"
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10
Yura....oh dear, the way you changed is a bit overwhelming now. It's just a bit much heh.

I mean, she plays the role of spoiler[medic in this episode but wants to be of an offensive player more than anything and tries to persuade Ren to give her that position based on her hit count achievement]. Anyways, I hope the old Yura who likes to have fun with her friends return soon. Haircuts does strange things to people Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

Oh, our classic moe airsoft anime where everyone is having fun and it is all pretty. Lol no. This episode was surprisingly dark, Yura quickly spoiler[outshines everyone on Meisei including Rin, and in my opinion it looks like Rin grows a little jealous and starts to get sick of Yura's need to be the center of attention and praised that she puts her into the support role]. Once Yura feels the spoiler[restrictions of being the medic were responsible for a loss she grows increasingly arrogant, and starts to train like crazy, and surprises Rento by how much she is changing, who wants Yura to come back].

Truth is that Yura is as spoiler[alone as she ever was, she turned her back on mostly fun because she thought that showing her skills will be the best use of her abilities, but then kicked out]. It seems strange that Rin would spoiler[praise her for her desire to win, and then kick her out for being too bigheaded, almost too hard-core for her]. The truth is that Yura does not know what she was doing, she asked Sonora and Rin, both times told to figure it out herself. The good news is that spoiler[Sonora seems to still care about her, apparently talking to her mother about Yura].

You know what, people might complain that Yura has become unlikable, especially for a moe like show, but that is exactly why she is so good. She is not a bad person, she has some serious skill, she has flaws, but again a flawed character is a well written character. It is human. Has Yura's changes been unbelievable? Does she actively hate people or do wrong things without good reasons? It would have been too easy to just make Yura a moe blob likeable character, but this depth is much harder.

I am that more invested to see how things do next, although the ED was a little unfitting this time around.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:05 am Reply with quote
When Rin told her her assignment was based on their previous battle, she didn't specify which battle previous. spoiler[I think she mostly meant the one where Yura cheated.]

Yura's problem all along has been not being a team player. spoiler[She surrendered without considering how her teammates would feel about it, she cheated not caring how it would affect the others if she were caught, she confessed to it without consulting them, and since coming to Meisei she's disobeyed orders repeatedly for her own sense of how to win without considering anyone else's contributions. Rin told her as much, but she still can't get it.] Rin even finally told her straight out, and she still doesn't get it (so while figuring it out for herself would have been best and what Rin and Sonora both hoped for, she's apparently incapable of doing so). I don't see any jealousy on Rin's part in this. She respects her skills, but not her attitude.
getchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:08 pm Reply with quote
angsting on a train, now where have we seen that before
Key

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is Gainax, after all. Wink

And I more or less agree with Gina's comments. spoiler[As devoted to taking airsoft seriously and winning as Rin is, she is still a team player, and she saw that Yura was clearly not being that. She tried to enforce that point by making Yura the medic, but Yura was too self-centered to get the message.]

However, I don't entirely put the blame on Yura's shoulders for not figuring this out. Both Sonora and Rin had opportunities to reach out to her and failed to do so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, both Sonora and Rin's attitudes are really bugging me. Rin's just a huge bitch so whatever, but you'd think Sonora would have a bit more empathy. She knows she's dealing with a girl who has been socially isolated. Of course she's not going to be great at figuring things out for herself. It just seems like more pointless Zen bullshit: "You must learn on your own, Grasshopper, god forbid anyone gives you a hand."

This show has become zero fun.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:47 am Reply with quote
Well, I didn't expect a spoiler[short reunion between Sonora and Rin] this episode. I still hope Yura goes back to being herself again but otherwise, I thought the episode was okay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

It looks like the main thing I took from this episode was not just Yura is a bit messed up and spoiler[running away, but Sonora too, who does not know how to handle the situation]. Actually the show made a clear comment that all the girls spoiler[ran away at some point, they decided not to tell Yura that she was taking the training too far because they thought it was easier to avoid the confrontation].

I felt quite strongly at seeing Yura basically spoiler[waste away alone at an arcade, saying that she quit something that was obvious she felt strongly abou]t. And also in seeing that Sonora is spoiler[desperate to make up with Yura, but she does not seem to know how to go about doing it], maybe showing that they are quite similar after all.

It would seem that avoiding confrontation and hiding/running away, are the main themes of this series. I just decided to have an in depth look at the songs in this show, to actually have a look at what messages they wanted to open and close every episode with, and they talk quite a bit about failure. Just looking at the first words talks about the restrictions you put on yourself being mistaken, and about needing to abandon an illusion of safety, this directly flows into what Yura is having to deal with right now. I think that it is pretty easy for a series to say that it is about and have songs of needing to go forward even if you stumble and make a mistake, but few series (especially more realistic ones) would make characters stumble so much that actually feels plausible. There is a particularly dramatic part of the ED that talks about having a big smile on your face when you get past your pain and sorrow, which has Yura looking up to the sky and seeing the rest of the club. Again something that has been building up over the entire series.

I took a look at the last word in the ED which is "omatase", the subtitles have it as just meaning "it's time to go", but most definitions I can find see it as short for "omatase shimatashita", which means "sorry to have kept you waiting". Of course saying that it is time to go makes more sense after a countdown, but apologising for taking so long, is actually a lot more fitting for generally what is happening in the series. I also like that next week's episode, which may very well be the last is one of the most notable words in the ED, which is "Explode a leg".
getchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:02 pm Reply with quote
maybe the last two episodes will make the show fun again. that would be nice
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 12
I think there's one more episode left but this one sure felt like a finale to me especially with that ending there.

The episode was fun and I enjoyed seeing Yura return to her old self again while enjoying the art of airsoft. I lol'd @ the part where spoiler[Karila was being told she was "cheating" on her weapon ahahaha.]
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:50 am Reply with quote
According to the Anncylopedia this is only 12 eps, so that might have been the finale (which I haven't seen yet).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:20 am Reply with quote
Episode 12

I was ready to finish this series, but there seems to be another episode next week that will probably be an extra of some sort. So I can't give a rating of the series until that happens despite this very much being like a finale.

Onto the episode itself. The big difference you will notice is the fight, while spoiler[most fights have been rather serious in tone or generally for Yura, there is a big difference here]. The fight and thus the episode was spoiler[very cartoony], I would describe it as spoiler[being just like the ED in tone: you have chibi and crazy dodges, and it gets crazier as it goes on and all the girls end up out there]. Now in some ways it is actually rather ironic, we have had some spoiler[pretty coolly done airsoft fights, and you would expect that a finally would take the cool up to full, but they did the exact opposite here]. The fights had never been this..... well spoiler[the word is "fun"], and this was obviously supposed to capitalize on the fact spoiler[Yura finally realized that the most important thing was to have fun].

In some ways I could not help but feel a little spoiler[disappointed that we did not an awesome fight], the thought brings to mind that it could be exactly what they are planning next week. But I could not help but love how this episode went. Yura and Sonora spoiler[start to really have fun, although some parts don't feel right; Yura can't fight anymore by herself, and might actually be asking for help]. And behold, spoiler[Rento comes to her aid, but them Sonora seems to be at a disadvantage, so of course Karila joins Sonora. Yachiyo and Honoka then realize that they want to join in too,] so we see them come into spoiler[sight for Yura. Do they help her? No, they shoot at her, and when Yura gets cover, they shoot at Sonora, so they have a three team match, purely because it is fun].

When time seems to be up from the school bell they spoiler[begrudgingly start to decide to end it, until Yura declares that it is not over, and the things shift to a Yura dream sequence with all the girls in it. It is the school, but then things start to change as all the school girls prep up for a big match of airsoft, somewhat of a disadvantage, but does this matter]? This was something Yura spoiler[dreamt up, the Yura that was afraid of losing and earlier gave up a match, had now never looked so confident and the girls go in guns blazing]. Final scenes back in reality, they say that spoiler[it is not goodbye to Sonora, they will see each other again], we get some wonderful yuri filled scene between Yura and Sonora, they almost look about ready to kiss. It was like the yuri version of Free!. And Yura has seemed to have grown, even spoiler[recommending the club to strangers].

Trying to think of it now, it might not deserve a too high rating, but this series was among the ones I was most happy that I watched this season. I would put it just bellow in pure favouritism for me to Watamote. Next episode please.
getchman

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote
ep 13 is likely a bonus episode since 12 pretty much wrapped everything up. it was a little late, but the show became fun again. wasn't as good as the first episode, but that was a pretty cool battle royal
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 13/Finale
Sigh, last week's episode should of been the finale but I guess we have this week's episode to conclude the series.

It was kinda fun I guess? The highlights imo was watchingspoiler[ Rin blush and smile in that sailor outfit. That was glorious]. Overall, rating this so-so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9