• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Blood Lad (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:21 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Whhhyyyyyy! Why only 10 episodes, they can't end it here.

There were numerous funny bits, my favourite being with Hydra Head. Why does his voice give a cool dad feel..... Oh his VA is also playing Julie from Sunday Without God. Like Staz spoiler[freaking out over his up to date entertainment system], and Head spoiler[tricking] Staz into spoiler[believing he had been cursed by putting him to sleep using a doll to convince Staz he talked to some goddess]. Laughing

I did find the explanation of the mother and her spoiler[husbands to be interesting, and it seems that she does not want Fuyumi fixed as she can stay there like that], actually rather selfish. While Head is more concerned with spoiler[what Fuyumi wants, but also giving a bone to her father who gave up his wife to protect Fuyumi, even Staz admits that it kind of makes him a bad guy].

And then there is Braz and Liz, I can't see how Goyle can see how the king getting killed was proof to protect the current king. Also shape shifter guy is pretty cool.

This deserves nothing less than Very good, but I would rate it higher if I was satisfied with how it ended.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:34 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:

I did find the explanation of the mother and her spoiler[husbands to be interesting, and it seems that she does not want Fuyumi fixed as she can stay there like that], actually rather selfish. While Head is more concerned with spoiler[what Fuyumi wants, but also giving a bone to her father who gave up his wife to protect Fuyumi, even Staz admits that it kind of makes him a bad guy].

If the author's taking characters from Greek mythology, I wonder why or maybe how he skipped the story of Persephone, the Goddess who spends six months of her life on Earth and six months in the underworld, in order to be with both parts of her "family", her mother Demeter and her husband, Hades. Wait ...

Hydra Heads? Heads... Hydra? Hades Hydra? I so hate this author...

But this has absolutely nothing to do with the story ... because there isn't one. The series started with Staz pledging to bring Fuyumi back to life because she wants to with ulterior motives on his part to ... I'm not going to place this in spoiler tags ... what I just said.

Progress! "Very Good" is too kind, really.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:19 am Reply with quote
Wow, who knew Fuyumi had such a complicated past.
spoiler[Staz - Bell's dad serious heart to heart] was kinda sweet.
It was touching how much that old man cared about Fuyumi's future.
Too many people were concerned with Fuyumi's future... kinda made things confusing.
Hmm... didn't quite feel like the end.
Judging by the ending there should be another season.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I've never seen another show less fitting for a TEN episode limit.

It feels too much like it should be mainstream shounen, thus have at least the same amount of episodes as Soul Eater or FMA.

The moments with Staz and Fuyumi were rather cute. spoiler["I'LL BECOME A HERO JUST FOR YOU!"] They're such a dysfunctional pair. Anime hyper But it was done in a way that didn't feel forced at all. It was a wise decision to spoiler[have them say "I don't know how I feel about him/her yet" and keep it to hints.] I like them...but I certainly wouldn't want them together so soon. I mean, they BARELY spent any time together! Anime dazed

So it has been confirmed that spoiler[Fuyumi and Bell are not dopplegangers-they have met in the past and even played together as children.]
I didn't think they were, anyway.

Welp, time to read the manga. I love all the different demon characters the author has come up with. They're pretty creative. :3
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:00 pm Reply with quote
ep.10

spoiler[staz meet bell's dad to see if staz is worthy for fuyumi cause years ago meeting had with fuyumi's dad cause give whole mother combine into one person yet concern if happen fuyumi meet her demon version so keep them safe have them stay in their own worlds.

so then seeing & testing staz's loyalty to fuyumi well bell's dad seeing something that staz is worthy material gave swear duty for fuyumi.

braz give reasons for his doing against wolf daddy give goyle said can't change past yet future is open yet freeze braz til liz arrive to cue their escape.

staz's crew got invaded by other demon crew by fish face so go blaze of glory even a t-rex to defend the area.

wolf had another fight give doing not in werewolf cause still want be staz got an invite.

bell ask how fuyumi feel about staz give might yet to wonder on it then after quick change clothes found herself in staz in the stairs.

staz & fuyumi well give all happen yet which wonder why staz is bad guy but now want be dark hero for fuyumi so now doing it for fuyumi which bell's dad is certain for staz while fuyumi/bell's mom well let see how it goes.

& oh yea braz is bringing his dad back to life..]
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote
I generally agree with Animegomaniac about the plot. I couldn't put my finger on why an anime that generally uses shonen tropes to good effect was just not gelling well, and I think Animegomaniac really nailed it. The plot is a mess, and concepts are dropped and mixed up in ways that don't hold up to scrutiny. It doesn't work very well overall, although there are parts that *do* work.

The mangaka actually treated the characters pretty well and thought out their relationships. I don't think he abandoned any of the principle characters the way he did some of the plot points. Fuyumi is a boring and is basically just the impetus for the MacGuffin, but they lampshade her lack of personality development, so it doesn't seem so bad. I'm not a huge fan of tsunderes, but Bell has a good head on her shoulders and interesting powers that her family shares. The spatial magic of the Hydras was used in cool ways, if it wasn't exactly original. Staz got some character development spoiler[especially in the final ep, where he comes to the conclusion that he has to go against the Demon World default of selfishness in order to be a hero in his own eyes]. Staz's brother and sister were amusing spoiler[ and Braz's reveal of trying to resurrect their father actually surprised me-I should have put it together based on all the focus on Braz and resurrection].

Despite having issues with the show and finding it to be a weak link during a strong season, I genuinely felt for the characters in the final ep and would have liked to see more of them, which is something. I would check out any sequels and might glance at the manga if I found it at the library.

I'd give the show an overall grade of C+

+Humor, fun characters and some interesting concepts (selfishness vs. selflessness, family bonds) and premises (otaku vampires/vampires as a species {they were born that way!}, spatial magic)

- Plot, ideas that went nowhere (most of the other types of magic, FrankenDemon's monster, some of the supporting cast) concepts that weren't well developed [how the demon world and its upper hemispheres work, friggin' dopplegangers (couldn't think of any other magical BS to spoiler[combine Bell's and Fuyumi's moms for the plot, EVERYBODY has to have a friggin' doppleganger, yet no one has any knowledge of them?!])]
Weak romance, romantic triangle. (Romantic triangles are bad enough in fantasy fiction, making only one character fully aware of the triangle is just ridiculous!)
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
The characters in this show sure have a soft spot for silly t-shirts...

As for the ending, on the one hand - even though i don't follow the manga - i'm glad they didn't give us a crappy original ending, on the other hand, it was quite a bit frustrating to be left with so many loose ends. I especially would like to see more spoiler[of Wolf-Daddy and Vampire-Daddy... Sad]
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
As for the ending, on the one hand - even though i don't follow the manga - i'm glad they didn't give us a crappy original ending, on the other hand, it was quite a bit frustrating to be left with so many loose ends.

I'll take a weak ending over no ending. Im so sick of this happening to a lot of modern anime when there is (usually) no promise of a sequel.

There's apparently going to be an OVA later this year. Depending on where that goes or if there is gonna be another season (whether we get some kinda ending or just end on a better part of the manga), endings like this are seriously unacceptable.

Not to say I regret watching this anime, I enjoyed it, but you CANT end a show like that. Hoping the OVA is some kinda conclusion. At the very least, we're lucky the manga was licensed here in North America. Sometimes we're not always that lucky (still hoping for someone to pick up Princess Jellyfish)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
It seems to me like the trial balloons they're sending up are just getting shorter and shorter for series they lack confidence in selling. I expect to see more and more 10 and even 8 episode series in the future. If they hit, they get OVAs, movies and/or extra seasons to finish things up. If they miss, they're history.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:55 am Reply with quote
I would have to ask why it ended like it did as well.

It was one of the most incomplete ending's I can remember in any anime I have seen so far.

did they run out of material, not speak with the author or just give up due to the show not being popular?
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:23 pm Reply with quote
OVA

It wasn't your typical ova with a random episode, since it was a direct continuation of episode 10. Hopefully season 2 will be announced soon.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:44 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was a continuation and one hell of a one at that. Those spoiler[vampire hunters] sure are something....

The funny part imo is the spoiler[chat room and reading the text throughout the OVA. Oh and Fuyumi looked awesome in that cowgirl outfit.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:30 am Reply with quote
OVA 1

Well I would say my favourite bit was just Staz spoiler[laughing at Fuyumi in the wild west outfit], there is just something humorous about that.

The subs I had for this were terrible, good evidence why direct translation is not always best.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:01 am Reply with quote
Those spoiler[vampire hunters] were totally LOL
The spoiler[Wild West] theme was interesting.
Fuyumi is still as hopeless as ever...
spoiler[Vampire hunter vs Staz & Fuyumi] was pretty much ROFL
Guess this OVA is more about having fun and a few laughs.
The fight scenes were nicely done as well.
Catseyetiger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:37 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[the OVA ended open ended like the season, Also it would seem the ghost is going away at a faster rate than before.
]

I would think another OVA is in the making?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 11