• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Senkō no Night Raid Spy Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Wonder which one they'll use, the Japanese only one?
I hope so, the Japanese trying to speak just English in their dub of Black Lagoon: The 2nd Barrage was horrible.

Or should I say, "SHIM-puri Ah-TWOU-shous" (not attempting to write that in "proper" romaji; "Simply Atrocious", said by Balalaika)

Rainbow & Stratos 4 had tolerable English, but I'm sure we can rattle off J-dubs with horrendous Engrish till we reach the maximum post count allowed in an ANN thread. The Japanese speak Japanese best. If I want English, I'll watch the dub (provided there is one). If I want Chinese, I'll find a bootleg dub or watch a kung fu movie.

I'd rather have convenience of listening in my dub than have "accuracy". Watching movies where certain characters need subtitles while the bulk do not irritates me. Either all subbed, or all dubbed in a language I speak, or be a show with such quality as to transcend the inconvenience. JMO Wink
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:35 pm Reply with quote
What the **** Sentai licensing an anime that isn't moe, harem, or ecch? Ahhhhh yeeeeah boy! This looks just like the kind of anime I like and I'll gladly buy this when it comes out to support sentai in hopes they'l acquire more like it.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What the **** Sentai licensing an anime that isn't moe, harem, or ecch? Ahhhhh yeeeeah boy! This looks just like the kind of anime I like and I'll gladly buy this when it comes out to support sentai in hopes they'l acquire more like it.
Amazing, isn't it. Even though it seems to be a bad show, at least it is different.

Though what about their Golgo 13? That has to be the anti-moe show if ever there were one. Canaan had some moe elements, but it sure wasn't Clanaad, so far it's been like the little brother of Darker than Black. Blue Drop (dubbed) wasn't really in those 3 categories, but it was close (though I enjoyed it).

But yeah, those are the only 3 titles that come to mind that are done by Sentai that aren't focused on moe/harem/ecchi elements.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:28 am Reply with quote
as someone who worked on this show, I can say it was fun to work on, however the charcters chemistry needed more work. and the execution needed a lot of work as well. though if they had put more effort in this series might have been better
Megiddo wrote:
If they just didn't give the characters super-powers, then I could have been interested in this. Can't have an ultra-realistic setting and then be like "LOL I can stop time!".

But yeah, this show bombed horribly in Japan. I have to imagine that that this was a super-cheap license and Sentai just hoping to make a marginal profit.

^this
I can tell you that on episodes where we released first (7-12) our numbers where not that great, probably around 10-15 thousand. so....I can not see this supporting a US release when those are numbers for hits around the world. so they must have gotten all the rights to this cheaply. and they would be crazy if they dubbed it. I will say I really liked what the series was trying to do and will be buying this. (that's right folks a fan subber is buying dvds and blurays)
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I will say I really liked what the series was trying to do and will be buying this. (that's right folks a fan subber is buying dvds and blurays)

And a thousand who won't, including my pals and I here, thank you. Laughing
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:54 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I will say I really liked what the series was trying to do and will be buying this. (that's right folks a fan subber is buying dvds and blurays)

And a thousand who won't, including my pals and I here, thank you. Laughing

well you what they say you can't force someone to do the right thing, that includes people not abusing fan-subs, I am sure R1 is the only region that will get an official release. also on a side note they NEED to have a LOT of translation notes for some of these episodes (we had about 15 for episode 7 alone), and a dub of this would probably fail
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:24 am Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10120229
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:30 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Hannish Lightning wrote:

I'll just leave this here:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10120229

what to also leave some DJ to prove how the actual series is ecchi because I know you couldn't find some in anything official for the series and that is why you went with that
The American Average

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:25 pm Reply with quote
well if it's dubbed i'll look into it. i generally liked the sentai dubs
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:49 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:

I wonder if there ever is a dakimakura that doesn't sell out.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2011 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
einhorn303 wrote:

I wonder if there ever is a dakimakura that doesn't sell out.

my guess is limited quantities prevent it
aereus

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:48 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I remember checking out the anime's first episode last year..didn't really interest me at all..it was quite boring to say the least..Sentai or Funimation need to seriously license Bakemonogatari..its long over due.

Except that Bakemonogatari isn't a title that would do well overseas. The girls all heavily feature a pick-your-fetish flavoring of traits, and western viewers won't have the knowledge of the old stories/superstitions that the show is based on. Lots of standing around talking instead of doing as well.

I love Madoka Magica, but I'm not sure that one would do well over here either. Still at first glance has the "little girls in cute dresses" vibe that would turn away a lot of people bc they wouldn't know what it was about. And even then it might not be enough...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4