• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Looks like Adult Swim Might Actually Drop the S-Bomb in...

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
The upcoming episode of NGE "Those Women Who Longed for the Touch of Others' Lips and Thus Invited Their Kisses."

I don't have any hard proof for this, however, I noticed that in the schedule for Adult Swim it gave it a TV14-L rating. I just watched the episode yesterday, and I don't remember there being any language above PG-level except for when Misato says spoiler["Don't bullshit me, Kaji!"] and I don't believe that, other than drinking, there was any other objectionable content in that episode at all.

It may seem like little evidence, but I do remember Adult Swim hoping that they could air Eva uncut (they ended up having to make one change thus far) and with it accidentally being aired without much incident on an episode of Paranoia Agent, I consider it a possibility.
Jgobats81886

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Remember a couple years back when NYPD Blue said shit for the first time, and everyone and there mothers was buzzing about it.

No.

Because it, just like this, is not something the american public should give, and pardon the pun, a shit about. Its a cuse word people. Deal with it.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:39 pm Reply with quote
No, I'm not "excited they're going to say it" except for the fact that it opens up doors for AS to do other things, like (still hoping for this against all odds and evidence) showing End of Evangelion.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:24 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
No, I'm not "excited they're going to say it" except for the fact that it opens up doors for AS to do other things, like (still hoping for this against all odds and evidence) showing End of Evangelion.

Because you're too cheap to buy it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
camelot187757

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this will open up doors for them to loosen up (even more) and be more flexible about the "action" that they show. However there's a Southpark where they say shit like 126 times and I didn't hear anything about a prosecution or anything of the sort. I just hope that you aren't looking for them to show Asuka's bare breasts on the show because it ain't happeing.
Nagisa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 5:39 pm Reply with quote
camelot187757 wrote:
However there's a Southpark where they say shit like 126 times and I didn't hear anything about a prosecution or anything of the sort.

Here's the thing. As I've always understood it, cable networks like Comedy Central and Cartoon Network could very conceivably air content wherein extremely strong language, graphic violence, nudity and/or sexual situations, and all that sort of thing is shown. Cable does allow for these things supposedly (or at least does to some degree), but for one circumstance or another (personal choice, nature of programming, audience demographic in mind, parent company's decision, etc.) the vast majority of cable networks opt not to show them, because it's usually better for business to err on the side of caution and "public-friendly" programming. Comedy Central, being primarily adult-oriented, chose to allow for South Park to have an episode parodying our fascination with bad language in TV (and more recently air uncut comedy specials in late night) because it fits with what their target audience wants to see. Now I don't know how it works with Adult Swim—whether it being Turner-owned dictates just how raunchy they can get or what-have-you—but thus far its staff have opted against such things for some reason or another.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
immortalwarrior

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:15 pm Reply with quote
tv programs have changed from a few years ago but now more and more shows cartoons and such are using curses i'm just waitin for one of them to drop the f- bomb. with shows like niptuck its more evident that tv is less strict then it used to be.
DrizzlingEnthalpy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:43 pm Reply with quote
slickwataris wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

Nope, I own it. Smile I just want AS to be able to show it for the people who don't, and because it means I'll be able to see other similar things that I don't own in the future. Personally, I think only having the last two episodes of Eva without the movie would drive me crazy.
Swordfish_II

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:01 pm Reply with quote
This aired last week. They bleeped it.
camelot187757

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:24 pm Reply with quote
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:
slickwataris wrote:
DrizzlingEnthalpy wrote:

Nope, I own it. Smile I just want AS to be able to show it for the people who don't, and because it means I'll be able to see other similar things that I don't own in the future. Personally, I think only having the last two episodes of Eva without the movie would drive me crazy.

I agree but even if they do say sh*t or f*ck or the "hole" in asshole (?why do they censor one part of it and not all of it?) or n*gger(which they already do; two and a half more words and its smooth sailing on AS Cool ) or whatever I don't think they would be okay showing Misato kissing Shinji. On a much more graphic note I sure as hell don't think that AS, CN, or Turner will allow spoiler[scenes of Shinji, a depicted minor, masturbating himself to a naked Asuka, also a depicted minor, who's breasts are in plain view in the movie and then top it all off with a showing of the ejaculated semen between his fingers while he say's "I'm f*cked up"] (yes I was cringing my face while I was typing that). Add that to the basic genocide that goes on the movie and the (granted its blurred but I mean really...) spoiler[sex scene in the movie between two minors ]and you have a movie that will forever be on CN's naughty list. However when they show it on Encore its rated PG like its Chicken Little or something go fig. Yea that's the pre-Monster's Ball PG from 1997 but it still holds unless they send it in for a re-rating or something. The question is will AS show the movie, uncut or otherwise, even though its rated PG?

I'm completely 99% sure that that will NEVER fly on cable. Them saying sh*t or n*gger or not, its not going to lead to them showing EoE or Steel Angel Ka-room-ei or anything like that.End of Evangelion will never be shown on AS and in the HIGHLY unlikey event that it does, I'm sure that Kyle Pope will be working his fingers to death after it's over the next morning.
Azathrael

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Not that I care, but doesn't AS show their anime late at night? So who cares what it's rated, just stop the censoring so the poor Americans who don't know about fansubs can enjoy the same things we do.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:11 pm Reply with quote
not only did they edit it, but it was the laziest edit ever. 1 loud 5 second bleep.
Satanachia

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:38 pm Reply with quote
I think that anime should be uncut/unedited or w/e. i personally like originality in Anime. like in Gundam Seed YTV bleeped out "jackass" like come on, InuYasha says bastard like flying
colors. and as for the originality comment, when i watched a Ghost in the Shell trailer for the 1995 film, the voices are totally different, i was really pissed about that. and as for nudity in InuYasha a boob or two wont make a kid into a psychopath and start touching boobs or nothin. For the sake of anime stop editing it. it takes away the true feeling of what it should be.

ps. if i'm ranting about random stuff just ignore it. i rant like crazy
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:41 pm Reply with quote
I've watched Comedy Central late night a couple of times (I love the Chappelle Show ;;Wink but I was watching "Killing them Softly," yeah, even the f-bomb wasn't blocked. It really doesn't surprise me that Adult Swim is allowing things to slip. I mean, it's on late at night, not that many kids are up... well, I would... but my parents didn't really care about me hearing the words, it was just if there was sexual content or something (which Evangelion has Anime smile + sweatdrop ) but, that's another story.
one3rd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
immortalwarrior wrote:
tv programs have changed from a few years ago but now more and more shows cartoons and such are using curses i'm just waitin for one of them to drop the f- bomb. with shows like niptuck its more evident that tv is less strict then it used to be.

Comedy Central has been running a late-late-night programming block called Secret Stash where they air un-cut content (Chris Rock, Chappelle, Jay & Silent Bob) for months now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4