• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 4Kids Fiscal 2005 Results

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kouji

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
Unless it's on some obscure digital cable network like The International Channel or Anime On Demand or something like that, subtitled anime series are NEVER going to be aired on American TV because the vast majority of Americans prefer watching movies and TV shows in English as opposed to watching movies and TV shows in Japanese. TCM airing the Studio Ghibli films subtitled is an expection because 1) they are MOVIES, NOT long TV shows that last for over 200 episodes, and 2), it was a special event. TV networks are NOT going to go out of their way to air subtitled anime series all for the sake of a select group of people when the vast majority of Americans prefer to watch movies and TV shows in English. If you want your subtitled anime so badly, do what I do. CHANGE THE CHANNEL, put an anime DVD in your DVD player and switch it to the Japanese language and turn the subtitles on. If it's too hard for you to go to the menus to switch language options, you can even set your DVD player so that it plays the Japanese language by default, so you never have to watch dubs again. Or TURN THE TV OFF, turn your computer on, open up your media player, and WATCH YOUR FANSUBS. END OF STORY. Now can you understand this or do I have to spell it out for you?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Zippydsm
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Kouji
Your right for the most part its so bad they dont even bother subbing the openings and endings on the few shows thast still have thiers intact,and one of the many reasons why anime is raped for US TV no repect by most so the companies can do what they want.
in the end the best we can hope for on normal TV/Normal cable is well translated anime.....FMA,COwboy Bebop and others

GATSU
GO!!GO!!GO!! Great gatsu! *L*
man I wish my brain worked good like yours ><
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Flame Jutsu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:03 pm Reply with quote
To tell the truth I kinda like 4kids. I just cant stand all the editing they do. I dont like subs and I dont understand japanese so I have gotten use to the english dubs. Personally I like them. No matter what people say about english dubs I will still like them. If I want to find out how the japanese anime are origanally supposed to go I just read the manga if they have it.
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:35 am Reply with quote
Malintex Terek wrote:
To Kahn's credit, he's correct; children are relying less on books are are focused more on television and computers. One could argue that message boards stimulate writing, but there's no positive reinforcement when people use shorthands or simply pass off spelling errors. Typing quickly is nothing to brag about if one cannot spell accurately.

Many fellow American children in my classes during elementary, middle, and high school could barely read English, let alone any other language. And, as you'll see every single day in any forum that caters to Americans, they can't write worth a damn either. Seriously. The Wrath of Kahn may be hard to swallow, and I don't doubt one bit that he's a certified jerk, but many American kids would be hard pressed to prove him wrong regardless.

To this day my own generation of fat, lazy, and largely uneducated Americans are merely living off the exploits of previous generations instead of actually doing anything to earn what's left of our remaining preeminence. The Roman Empire fell. The Ottoman Empire fell. The British Empire fell. Soon, we too shall fall, only I wouldn't expect any graceful exit this time around. More like another faith-based preemptive attack on various random countries.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6