• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Slice-of-Life recommendations.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
motaku96

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
A lot of the ones I recommend have already been posted so I'm gonna just mention the ones that no one's talked about yet.

School Rumble is one of my favorites. its a romantic comedy with lots of funny twists and situations.

Kyo no gononi is about a class of 5th graders. it has a surprising amount of ecchi situations. it just implies a lot of sexual stuff or maybe i just have a really perverted mind. anyway its really funny.

And last is Hyakko though i don't like it as much as the others. its decent and worth checking out but i don't really like it that much myself.

of the ones that have been mentioned already i recommend azumanga, great teacher onizuka, and of course my favorite lucky star.
oh and i've only seen one episode of sketch but it looks pretty good. i might watch it when i have more time.
i also forgot to mention toradora. it's pretty interesting. i'll probably keep up with this series as it comes out.
jetz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
I'll check Bamboo Blade out a bit then, I saw the 1st ep and thought it would be a ridiculous harem where the Tsundere are all armed so I stopped.

It's not a harem - at all. There are three guys in the cast, and one of them is a teacher. The other has a girlfriend (who's in the main cast) and the other one doesn't seem to be interested in any of the girls.

Quote:
Beck I'll check out, I've heard nothing but good things, Hitohira...I think I've seen that already, a super shy girl gets dragged into the drama club 'cause she has an amazing voice? That one was...ok, not great but fine.

I was following Code-E but just seemed to lose it at some point, I'll maybe pick it up again, Denno Coil I didn't like mainly because the art put me off (yes I'm that shallow I care what it looks like)

Yep that is Hitohira. Didn't think it was that great either, but it seemed like your type of anime so I just mentioned it.

And I forgot to say, I hope you reconsider watching Moyashimon. It gets really good during the middle. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Devavrata

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:31 am Reply with quote
Someone has mentioned Maison Ikkoku, now I have to mention Rumiko Takahashi's Anthology. It is a collection of 13 25-minutes episodes about different people and what they experience in their daily lives. Some of the stories like 'The Tragedy of P', 'One-day Dream', and 'The Executive's Dog' are my favorites.

I'm surprised that nobody has mention You're Under Arrest! (Taiho Shichauzo) yet. It is actually a very realistic slice-of-life story (OK, Natsumi's strength is probably exaggerated too much), but apart from that, the story really tells what is life in Japan feels and looks like. The liner notes from AnimEigo explains all the subtle cultural background in the story. I really enjoyed Taiho, it is one of those anime where you can put one disc into your player and watch one or two episodes in a random without losing the story. I can't wait for the 2nd and 3rd season to be licensed in US.

Another anime I heard is really good is Yawara! and H2, they are more sport than slice-of-life, but nevertheless depicts Japanese life in a realistic way.
eyeresist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Slice-of-Life recommendations:

Genshiken - life revolving around an anime club, with mature character-based comedy. Best episode has just two characters in a room, hardly talking - you can't get more SoL than that!

Someday's Dreamers - (prev. mention by Japanese. title?) a girl goes to Tokyo for mage training. Very gentle and friendly tone, but not as sickly-sweet as Aria.

Haibane Renmei - some plot kicks in towards the end, but it's mostly quiet, gentle story about children with halos.

I should also mention Kamichu, about a girl who becomes a god. I thought it was spoiled by characters being too stereotyped, but if that doesn't bother it's worth a look.

Also support previous recommendations for Azumanga Daioh, Figure 17, Chobits, Strawberry Marshmallow.
pparker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:47 am Reply with quote
Wow, these are too few. I've read all the posts, and it's hard to recall others. They are hard to do right.

I second Kamichu since it's only just mentioned. Unique angle with the visible Shinto spirits, and the lead girl is adorable as she deals with becoming "God".

Others:

Gakuen Utopia Manabi Straight!: I rarely hear it mentioned. Not equal to Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star or Miname-ke, but similar high school gal pals premise (except with a light plot), but it's not bad.

Fruits Basket: Doesn't pin down into one genre for me. Been called a reverse harem, but I never thought of it that way. Just from the anime (not manga), I think it would satisfy slice-of-lifers who don't mind a bit of drama and fantasy mixed with quirky daily activities.
purevwgino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:32 am Reply with quote
WOW i can't believe no one said Mahoromatic and its OVAs, or Clannad & Clannad After Story or Kanon!!!
all 3 are slice of life, genre anime with great stories behind them. yes MAHORO- sorry read up on your own guys- is not 100% realistic, but thats the fun in it, and yea Kanon is more touchy and emotion driven then funny, but its quirky, and has real life humor, for a not so normal life.

i would recommend all 3![/b]
purevwgino

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:33 am Reply with quote
WOW i can't believe no one said Mahoromatic and its OVAs, or Clannad & Clannad After Story or Kanon!!!
all 3 are slice of life, genre anime with great stories behind them. yes MAHORO- sorry read up on your own guys- is not 100% realistic, but thats the fun in it, and yea Kanon is more touchy and emotion driven then funny, but its quirky, and has real life humor, for a not so normal life.

i would recommend all 3!
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:46 am Reply with quote
I don't know about Mahoromatic, but Kannon and Clannad aren't slice-of-life; they're drama. Slife shows are essentially plotless and meandering, while the two (three) Kyoto Animation shows you mentioned have very prominent overarching stories.
pparker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:01 am Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I don't know about Mahoromatic...

Hmmm... Just to make it clear, Mahoromatic is basically a fake moe romantic comedy that turns decidedly shounen sci-fi action, has a firm tragedy/mystery plot from the beginning that kicks in hard halfway through, and turns darkly dramatic, finally providing the most unpopular, definitive "Gainax ending" in anime history. Has some moments in the beginning, but sorry, doesn't really fit this genre. If they made it to the ending, slice-of life fans would be traumatized when spoiler[the cute, lovable maid hero dies]Smile Watch it before... certainly before... Lucky Star for comparison, and you'll see what I mean.
Mushi-Man

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
Genshiken: I think almost everyone can agree that Genshiken is a great slice-of-Life series. It depicts the life of a group of anime fans. Also showing the struggles of a girl, who dislikes things concerning otakus, is in love with one of the Otakus. I think this series is a bit of a rallying cry for anime and manga fans every where. And is also one of my favorite comedies. It has great character development and it really makes you connect with the characters in unexpected ways. (It's also involves quite allot of mature themed comedy, just an FYI)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:42 am Reply with quote
For Slice of Life;

Genshiken- This series is about a collegee club that consists of otaku's of diffrent kind. Although I thought the manga had more depth, season one and season two were well done. As well as the four part OVA's.

Lucky Star- Despite what some people say, this show isn't as anime themed as one would think. This series is about the life of four highschool, later high school graduates and how they live their life. The cast have all diffrent traits, ranging from anime/video gamer to moe traits. In my option, this show is best watched in English though.
motaku96

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Mushi-Man wrote:
Genshiken: I think almost everyone can agree that Genshiken is a great slice-of-Life series. It depicts the life of a group of anime fans. Also showing the struggles of a girl, who dislikes things concerning otakus, is in love with one of the Otakus. I think this series is a bit of a rallying cry for anime and manga fans every where. And is also one of my favorite comedies. It has great character development and it really makes you connect with the characters in unexpected ways. (It's also involves quite allot of mature themed comedy, just an FYI)

Yeah, I loved Genshiken. Too bad the second season made me really depressed. It just hit too close to home for me. I swear my life was moving parallel to Sasahara. Nevertheless, I still liked it.
Set1229

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:02 am Reply with quote
Need something simple, I LOVE Aria so far and liked Kobato, as long as it ain't an ecchi (non negotiable) or there is no family abuse in a semi-normal setting I'm good.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Hey Set1229, it's good form to also write out a recommendation when asking for one. Maybe you could write out a short recommendation for Kobato, as it hasn't been covered here yet?

As evidenced by Aria, many of the most relaxing Sol shows are those that feature "cute girls doing cute things", so I'll focus on some of those.
Of those mentioned in this thread so far I personally have both Azumanga Daioh and Kamichu! rated as "Masterpieces", if you haven't seen them yet- do so. A couple other Excellent relaxingly simple SoL choices mentioned on previous pages include Hidamari Sketch and Strawberry Marshmallow/Ichigo Mashimaro.

The director of Aria, Junichi Sato, has recently pout a couple more "Healing anime" (as he calls them).
Tamayura & Tamayura - Hitotose, about a young girl whose father has died and moves back to her father's hometown in a location on the picturesque Inland Sea. She uses her father's old manual camera to take pictures of just about everything she sees and spends time with her friends meeting new people and seeing new things.

Croisée in a Foreign Labyrinth
, Set in the late 19th Century, it focuses on a young Japanese girl who comes to live at a sign-maker's shop in an aging shopping arcade inb Paris, France. It's a nice anime that has little stories about the cultures clashing, the budding friendship or romantic relationship between her and the gruff young shop operator and hints about the hardships in their pasts.

I also assume you've heard of a little show called K-on!, because of the huge time period since this thread has been posted in, it hasn't been mentioned, but it really is one of the simplest, most relaxing, humorous and pleasant shows almost entirely cast with cute girls that has been made.

TRhere are plenty more good examples but I'll leave some to other users to recommend. This thread really has been strangely neglected, considering the popularity of the genre these days.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:02 am; edited 1 time in total
A Mystery

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
Bunny Drop:
Copying the encyclopedia plot summary: Going home from his grandfather's funeral, thirty-year-old Daikichi is floored to discover that the old man had an illegitimate child with a younger lover. The rest of his family is equally shocked and embarrassed by this surprise development, and not one of them wants anything to do with the silent little girl, Rin Kaga. In a fit of anger, Daikichi decides to take her in himself. As Daikichi nurtures Rin, he started to understand the struggle while at the same time the joy of parenting.

This is a very good and fun(ny) slice of life. The problems and joys Daikichi faces are relatable. He works fulltime and has to find ways to make his new life work. Rin is a very sweet child. There is no typical moe or fanservice. The small and bigger things of parenting and being a family are touched upon: everyday life like waking up and going to school, shopping, playing, making meals, but also milestones in life, relationships and more difficult things like grief and divorce.
Bunny Drop is different from Lucky Star, Azumanga Daioh in that it truly aims to be realistic. This is no offense to those shows, but to clarify what you're in for.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4