• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The "Where do you live" poll

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Hey, anyone else feeling left out of the current poll? I know I am, and from the looks of the results page, so are about 30% of the rest of you. So let's all list our cities of residence here, and maybe we can convince ANN to do an event in our local burgh, eh?

Incidentally, I live in St. Louis, which has more people than a few cities on that list. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:13 pm Reply with quote
How many votes does Atlanta need before ANN comes to AWA? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Well, I live in Cleveland, Ohio, and just like the sports world, the anime world doesn't respect the Cleveland fanbase apparently. Crying or Very sad
RezSav

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:46 pm Reply with quote
I've seen a lot of "Location: Minneapolis" titles under people's names on this board, but it wasn't on said poll.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:31 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Incidentally, I live in St. Louis, which has more people than a few cities on that list.

I went by a different list. Look up the Metropolitan population of any major city online, and a dozen different sites will give different numbers. Reputable sites at that. Most notably in my mind, the UN and Wikipedia disagree.

For starters, defining where the borders of a "metropolitan area" lie is a very subjective element.

I just grabbed the first list I found since I don't really care aboutthe exactness of the cities. I then removed some cities that I didn't care about, and added others that I did care about. For starters I added cities where ANN staff live (or near where they live). And I removed cities that have no major anime conventions.

Its interesting to note that, so far, the poll results aren't in Population order. NYC and LA are in the top spots, but Toronto is in third, and Toronto has only half the population of Chicago.

Whereas Montreal, which has about 80% the population of Toronto only received 25% as many votes.

In retrospect though, perhaps I should have made a list with all the urban centers in North America.

Oh well.

-t
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:43 pm Reply with quote
I would qualify for the "Minneapolis" crowd, closest city to me that I can recall from the list was Chicago which is quite a long drive from here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:51 pm Reply with quote
So, is this poll about interest in an ANN event at a pre-existing convention, or is it about a brand new ANN-led function? My vote may change depending on the answer.
Cloe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I'm with the Minneapolis crowd as well... although that'll be changing in August. I'll be in LA after that. Sad Does this length of time make a difference? I'm currently one of the "interested but in the wrong place" people.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:26 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Incidentally, I live in St. Louis, which has more people than a few cities on that list. Wink

You just got a new baseball stadium today, and now you want a hometown ANN panel, too? Greedy...
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:02 am Reply with quote
Would ANN events be at another anime event as well?
RezSav

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:10 am Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
jgreen wrote:

You just got a new baseball stadium today, and now you want a hometown ANN panel, too? Greedy...

Bah! Cheap knock off of the real Busch stadium
jgreen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:19 pm Reply with quote
JMays wrote:
jgreen wrote:

I actually just went to the stadium for the first time today! It's gorgeous!

And hey, us St. Louisans get deprived of everything! You'd be amazed how many bands on tour go to Chicago and Kansas City but not St. Louis. It's quite frustrating.

And of course, we finally got an anime convention (and a decently crowded one at that) last year, but it was a Kunicon convention and we all know how that story ended....

tempest wrote:
For starters, defining where the borders of a "metropolitan area" lie is a very subjective element.

The reason why I used a metropolitan list is because St. Louis is probably the most egregious example of "urban sprawl" in the country. St. Louis City successfully drove most of its residents into St. Louis County decades ago, and the proper city of St. Louis has been bleeding population for something like 40 years.....although it has finally started gaining population since the last census. But the are as a whole has grown by leaps and bounds, and the general metropolitan area as a whole has something like 10 times as many people as live in the city boundaries.
Ataru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:05 am Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:

And hey, us St. Louisans get deprived of everything! You'd be amazed how many bands on tour go to Chicago and Kansas City but not St. Louis. It's quite frustrating.

And of course, we finally got an anime convention (and a decently crowded one at that) last year, but it was a Kunicon convention and we all know how that story ended...
Atleast Ozz Feast is coming July 15. Razz There was an anime con in St Louis?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
jgreen

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:20 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Ataru]Atleast Ozz Feast is coming July 15. Razz There was an anime con in St Louis?[/quote]

"Ozz Feast" is the best typo EVER. Very Happy

And yeah, there was a convention in St. Louis in March of '05 called Kunicon that was part of a string of conventions nationwide. St. Louis was the second one, following one in Miami called Otakucon. Click here for a summary of the goings on. It wasn't the greatest convention in the world, but it was pretty packed regardless, and the folks throwing it said they'd be back the next year. Then, of course, they they went bankrupt.

There was also a convention in Maryland Heights last weekend, although it sounds rather small and rinky-dink, but I guess most cons are starting out, huh?
Ataru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Ataru wrote:
Atleast Ozz Feast is coming July 15. Razz There was an anime con in St Louis?

"Ozz Feast" is the best typo EVER. Very Happy
Uh, I was hungry at the time. Ozzfest.
jgreen wrote:
There was also a convention in Maryland Heights last weekend, although it sounds rather small and rinky-dink, but I guess most cons are starting out, huh?
D'oh. Oh well. I'm sure it'll get bigger once the word gets out. Baka-Con (now Sakura-Con) was pretty small with I went there 8 years ago.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2