• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Cons: which ones going to / have been to this year?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm starting this thread for the year 2006. Just talk about each anime convention you've been to or ones you are planning to go to.
For the ones you've been to talk about some of the things you did there, who you saw, and why you went.

For the upcoming ones talk about why you are going and what are some of your plans.

Hopefully this will be a good way to connect face-to-face with other forum members you've known for a long time but only online.

Okay here's Past's info:
1. Anime Detour - went there because I knew a lot of fellow con staff people (for another con) who were going, also met Matt Greenfield.

2. AKon 2006 - got invited to go with some buddies and will save lots of $$$ by sharing a hotel room. Plan to do alot of karaoke.

3. AnimeIowa 2006 - this is the con I help out with, and because it's the best con in the Midwest Anime smile

4. AnimeNebraskon 2006 - duh this is a no-brainer since I live in Lincoln.
furuba lover

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:57 am Reply with quote
Hello!

I've only gone to two conventions that are in southern California (faithfully!).

1. Anime Expo 2000-2006 - I started to get back into anime and manga while I was in college and I continued to go to them because I had too much fun! Razz However, there was one AX that I saw Man-Faye....ugh.....yeah. Lol! The dances are the best!

2. Comic-Con 2000-2006 - I went to this as a fan at first. Then I got hired by a comic book store and went in as a retailer. It's fun to go to, but, I have to say it's very exhausting too.
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:31 am Reply with quote
I'm going to my first con ever of anything this year. The Kumoricon in Portland, Or. Labor Day weekend. After reading the rant in Hey! Answerman, well, my fears have increased. As if being older, not knowing every anime, or anyone in person, doesn't make it difficult enough.

edit, If I bring cosplay whatnot, I think I will go a Battou, from GITS, as I won't need much to look like him. Except to work out more, and lose my buddha belly. Yes, I can cook!

I kick myself for never having gone to Comic con when I was statioined in San Diego! I hope to do that one of these years. Maybe if I survive the one I am going to this year.
Haru to Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 3:55 am Reply with quote
jaybug39 wrote:
I'm going to my first con ever of anything this year. The Kumoricon in Portland, Or. Labor Day weekend. After reading the rant in Hey! Answerman, well, my fears have increased. As if being older, not knowing every anime, or anyone in person, doesn't make it difficult enough.

I wouldn't worry. I think what was mentioned in the reccent Answerman rant was an unfortunate but rare occurance. I've been to small and big cons, and never once run into problems like that. I can recall a semi-crazy room party from Portcon 05, but all that was to be had was a lot of fun and laughs, and no complaints from neighbors or staff. :) Mark Twain vs. the 22nd century!!

At AX, the only thing I've ever disliked about the con is it's staff, not the attendees. (Since I know someone is bound to take offense to that statement, I'll explain: Poor handling of Duel Jewel concert, staffers at the concert were openly rude and condensending, not to mention that popular opinion still holds that Ax never even paid the band?? Other than that, Ax is cool.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Mylene

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:56 am Reply with quote
Assuming everything is still on, I plan on attending my first anime convention this year, Animerikon in Columbus, Indiana. However, the website hasn't been updated in ages, so I worry it's been cancelled. I'm kind of wanting to dip my toes in kind of slowly for this, because I sometimes have issues with crowds and the 'unknown.' However, I did survive Gencon one year, so maybe I'll be just fine. (Not being much of a gamer, Gencon was kinda dull...and the bits of anime stuff being sold I could never get to because of the hordes around them and I'm just too shy to force my way in. Sad )
jaybug39

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:46 pm Reply with quote
Hey Mylene, if this old fart can go to a con where I will be about twice the age of most con-goers, I think you can politely but firmly get to where you would like to be. Have a little desire to get your needs fulfilled.
bluepita

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I am looking forward to A-Kon next weekend and AnimeFest in September. A-Kon is just for me, and I take my 8 yr old to AnimeFest (more family-friendly).

As for worrying about being the old fart, lol, I am the youngest person I know at the conventions, being almost 30. My other friends there are at least a decade older than me. There are lots of older people there. (wow, I am making you and myself sound ancient.) Anyway, there are all sorts of age brackets there, no worries. Wink
Samurai_Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 1:32 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to Anime Expo 2006. I've been to the Anime Expo in Anaheim/LA three or four times previously, in the past nine or ten years.

The main reason I'm going this year is because I got a ticket to HYDE's concert at the House of Blues in Anaheim, so I figured I might as well go to the Anime Expo as well. All the expos I've been to in the past were a lot of fun, so I'm very much looking forward to seeing how the con scene has evolved since then (although I've heard plenty of negative comments...).
RedComet

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 8:13 pm Reply with quote
I'll be going to my second AnimeUSA late this year with it being the second convention I've been to. I'm not sure when I'll go to Otakon.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:32 pm Reply with quote
I was planning on going to AnimeExpo but it turned out I couldn't afford it. I wanted to see Hyde and Clamp so bad too (someone stuff me in their suitcase Laughing ).

But anyway I still attended a big con this year (A-Kon) and I had a good time. Oh btw if anyone saw me running around in my pink "I am Ryo-Ohki..." t-shirt, that was me!
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 11:53 pm Reply with quote
As I do every year, I will be going to Nan Desu Kan in Denver. This convention has grown quite a bit over the years and with the move from the Holiday Inn to the Marriott, I believe that it will only get better. (The Marriott is a better venue for conventions as their staff is better at handling convention crowds and there is more space to grow)

I went to my first out of state convention last year as I went to Wizard World LA out in Long Beach. This year, I'm planning on going to MechaCon in Lafayette, Louisiana. Since Lafayette is about 20 minutes from my hometown, I will get to go visit family and geek out during the same week.

One day, I would love to make it to either AX or the San Diego Comic Con. Maybe next year.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:29 am Reply with quote
I am going to Anime Expo 2006 in Anaheim. Hoping to find some good bargains and I`d better take lots of film Very Happy Unfortunately with school and work I have not had much time to find things for cosplay, so I won`t be doing that this time. Maybe I`ll meet someone from ANN! If you can find me Cool
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Ya, I'll be going to AX again this year. I was only able to get Saturday and Sunday off from my work, so those will be the two days I'm going. I'm not going to cosplay, I don't do cosplay, never have, it's not my thing. I might be wearing a Di Gi Charat or Galaxy Angel shirt if I feel like it, but most likely not. My name tag will say "PantsGoblin" on it (although, I still don't particularly like the name and would change it if I could) so you'd be able to tell it was me by that. Panels I'll most likely be going to are the "Broccoli International" panel, the "Broccoli Japan" panel, the "How to learn by "moe"" panel (if I figure out what it is), the "Anime News Network" panel, the "Koge-Donbo" panel, and possibly a few more if they announce some guests/singers I want to see. I don't know if I want to go to the Clamp panel... seems like it will be too crowded and I'm not a huge Clamp fan, although I do like them. I may be in the dealers rooms some of the time, but to be honest, I don't think I'm going to find much merchindise I want there... after just going to Akiba... it just seems so... lacking. R1 DVDs will probably be the best things for me to get there though.
Cloe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:37 pm Reply with quote
I'll be attending Wizard World Chicago this year. It has kind of become an annual tradition for my fiancé and I; we look forward to it every year. We're fans of both American comics and manga/anime, so it's a good convention for us. This will likely be the last year I attend, however, since I'm moving to Los Angeles in August. Driving from Minnesota to Illinois isn't that big a deal, but California to Illinois would be ridiculous. ^^; That's okay, though, since living in LA will bring me closer to much larger and more celebrated cons.

If this were an inquiry into film and animation festivals, I'd be able to offer a much longer response, since I'll be attending those like crazy this fall. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
biliano

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 2:40 pm Reply with quote
So far I've been to two conventions this year, and they were the first two anime convenions I've ever attended: Harucon in Elyria, OH, and ColossalCon in Independence, OH (a suburb of Cleveland).

Harucon was a one-day convention that was held on Sunday, April 30. The con was only a half-hour drive from where I live, plus it was a small convention so I though that this was the perfect "starter" con for me. One of the panels that they had was called "Conning 101" where a panel of expert con-goers shared their experiences and provided information on what to do and what to avoid at conventions. They did express the trends that are taking place at cons nowadays (which was pointed out in a recent Answeman rant) so in that regard it was a good learning experience for me. It was at Harucon that I first saw the Karin anime and FMP: The Second Raid.

ColossalCon was the first three-day convention that I've attended, and just like Harucon, it was a easy drive from where I live. The hotel the con was held at is only 8 miles from where I live so it was very convenient for me. All I really did there was watch anime and shopped at the dealer's room, but I did enjoyed the experience. Some of the anime that I watched there were Jinki:Extend, Ichigo 100%, Petopeto-san, Air, Shuffle!, and the Kaleido Star: Layla Hamilton OAV. They did show Zipang, but unfortunately due to scheduling conflicts, I wasn't able to watch it.

The next con I plan to attend is SugioCon in Covington, KY (a suburb of Cincinnati). They're still at the planning stages right now, but I do know that Christopher Ayers is confirmed as a guest for SugioCon so I'm looking forward to meeting him. At this point I would like to attend some of the Ohio-based cons first before I venture out into conventions out of the state.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2