• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: How To Host an Anime Party

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GospelX

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 8:31 am Reply with quote
Would it be improper of me to complain that the picture is of, for lack of better words, a sausage-fest? I'm really not sure how to feel about the further portrayal of anime fans as socially-deprived white males.
Not only that, I'm from the D, so I feel further shame.
Patmos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:54 am Reply with quote
I have an anime party every week, never will the idea of having my friends bring their pajamas and pillows come up, making me think this article is aimed at ten year old girls. In spite of course for the picture. Also is it me or does the term "Twinkie Sushi" sound a bit racist.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:29 am Reply with quote
I think they got the wrong idea about anime right there. It's not Disney crap. It's not kiddy stuff. It's not pajama type TV.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
That article just screams, "Look! They have no life!"

What adult in his/her right mind would do such a thing in the first place?! We're not 10 year olds for Pete's sake! Shocked Evil or Very Mad
Jadress

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:42 pm Reply with quote
I think the article has good intentions, but yes, does seem oblivious to it's loser-geek tones. I mean, at least they are acknowledging that there's something entertaining for everyone and they list a variety of popular titles. But the picture of fat bald guys watching anime and the use of the word "jammies" is sure to turn off non-anime people. So.. cute exposure, but not winning over any converts, this one. Weird that it came from my neck of the woods! Shocked

PS: Twinkie sushi sounds absolutely disgusting.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Warning!: Eating large amounts of Twinkie Sushi may cause the following conditions: Hyperactivity, sweating, dizziness, redeye, drymouth, the urge to jump on the bed for hours on end and, Death.

Sushi is one of the most healthy things to eat, it was only time before someone from Detroit went and messed it up. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
megumi's guy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Here tell Eric what you really think of is article: [email protected]
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:03 pm Reply with quote
It's sushi in name only, due to similarities in appearance and preparation really. Nothing wrong with a snacky version after all.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:06 pm Reply with quote
You emo kids need to frikkin cheer up. Why must you find every news article derogatory? This is an innoucuous idea for people who don't have plans for a weekend.

I thought the guy did his homework in picking quality titles and Japanese snacks. I know a group of people who could probably take something like this to heart.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
You emo kids need to frikkin cheer up. Why must you find every news article derogatory?

It's what fans do. If there's an article about anime they have to get really offended and upset over anything that even resembles a percieved slight.

Feeds into the persecution complex, I guess.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Why must you find every news article derogatory?
I was just trying to make a joke, but I don't think anyone laughed Crying or Very sad
dirtyharry

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:28 pm Reply with quote
The pajama part threw me off alot. I didn't understand who they were trying to appeal to.
Wakaiba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Who would show Boogiepop and then Fruits Basket? Plus, to show all of those series would take a few days, not a night.

The Twinkie sushi has to be close to the grosest thing I've ever heard of. I'd rather have chicken feet. Talk about sugar overload... but hey, if this "Anime Slumber Party" is another way to bring some more anime to mainstream culture, it might end up being beneficial for hauling newer titles over.

... which I doubt.

[Twinkie sushi. That kills me.]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:40 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
You emo kids need to frikkin cheer up. Why must you find every news article derogatory? This is an innoucuous idea for people who don't have plans for a weekend.

Well, you'd have to be a total loser of an adult to do something like this in the summer imo. Geez, there's festivals, movies and concerts. You can go to the park or take a friend out to dinner. You don't do group adult sleepovers unless.... Wink

(Yeah, I know they probably didn't think about that. But with one female in the pic, I couldn't resist. Laughing )
Wolverine Princess

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 4:52 pm Reply with quote
They put a caption explaining Twinkie sushi under a picture of Pocky. Did the author just think "Hey, it's yellow, it has to be a Twinkie!" or is it just a typo because there's also an accurate picture of what Twinkie sushi looks like in that article?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3