• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV licenses Nerima Daikon Brothers

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
x_Shinta_x

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:47 pm Reply with quote
A friend said fansubers totally ignored this series.
JELEINEN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:12 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
So does "cousin" have a different meaning in Japan? Was reading up on the show and this popped up "Together with his cousin, Mako (whom he has a crush on)" >_<

Actually, the US is one of the few places where you can't marry a cousin.

I'll probably rent Narima Daikon Bros. It's a whacky show, but I don't see it having a lot of re-watch value.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:29 pm Reply with quote
x_Shinta_x wrote:
A friend said fansubers totally ignored this series.
Interestingly enough, I was involved with a group that tried to get fansubs for Nerima off the ground, but various things got in the way and it never happened. Let's see if this is a case of "no fansubs to allow people to get it for free = better sales."
And for better or for worse, the "kissin' cousins" thing isn't considered illegal/taboo, as various discussions about Elfen Lied and Sakura Diaries have confirmed. EDIT: Not by anime standards, I guess...

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:02 am Reply with quote
JoshuaStChristopher wrote:
RezSav wrote:
So does "cousin" have a different meaning in Japan? Was reading up on the show and this popped up "Together with his cousin, Mako (whom he has a crush on)" >_<

As far as I know, in Japan marrying your cousin is legal, just frowned upon.

Getting married to an eleven-year old girl, however, is fine.

I hope you're being facetious. The legal age for marriage in Japan is 18 for males and 16 for females, with the consent of at least one the parents of the person in question. [1] This consent is unnecessary once a person reaches the age of majority, which is 20. [2]

As for cousins, Japan's Civil Code of 1947 specifies:

Japan: An Illustrated Encyclopedia volume 1, page 926 wrote:
Marriage cannot be consanguineous. Marriages between lineal relatives by blood, between collateral natural relatives within the third degree of relationship by blood, and between lineal relatives by marriage (even after the relationship has ended through divorce or dissolution) are forbidden.

This chart gives the degrees of kinship. Thus even second cousins may not marry, nor (despite many hentai stories about pseudo-incestuous relationships) may step-parents/-children or step-siblings. Koi Kaze, is, of course, right out.

[1] Japan: An Illustrated Encyclopedia, volume 1, page 926; also at Age of Consent.
[2] Japan, volume 1, page 14.

Last edited by doc-watson42 on Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
one3rd

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:15 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:
So technically, the Second Raid will dubbed by ADV Studios with Don Rush as ADR Director, right?

Well, as it says, ADV is doing the production and Funimation is just marketing it. What I assume this means is that ADV is doing all of the production, including the translation, English dub, DVD authoring/encoding, etc. Funimation will likely handle packaging and distribution. Basically, it will be an ADV product, but released by Funimation. It sounds like an interesting collaboration between two major companies. I wonder if this and Funimation's distribution deal with Tokyopop are beginning a trend.
Kuroki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:57 am Reply with quote
darkchibi07 wrote:

I read somewhere in AnimeOnDVD that ADV did the entire packaging, dubbing, and other production stuff before dropping the license and giving it to Manga Entertainment.

I'm a little sceptical about that. At least where the packaging is concerned. When I picked up the DVD I instantly knew that it had to be a smaller comapny producing it. There is no way the Tactics DVD would have been released as is, through ADV. ADV always has impecable design with their products.

I can't say anything about the content since I have yet to watch it.
BlaqNumbr9

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:01 am Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
darkchibi07 wrote:
So technically, the Second Raid will dubbed by ADV Studios with Don Rush as ADR Director, right?

Well, as it says, ADV is doing the production and Funimation is just marketing it. What I assume this means is that ADV is doing all of the production, including the translation, English dub, DVD authoring/encoding, etc. Funimation will likely handle packaging and distribution. Basically, it will be an ADV product, but released by Funimation. It sounds like an interesting collaboration between two major companies. I wonder if this and Funimation's distribution deal with Tokyopop are beginning a trend.

It's going to be interesting seeing both companies animated opening sequences running side by side.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:36 am Reply with quote
Fallen Embers wrote:
ADV needs to take better care of its already existing licenses before splurging on new ones. Its manga department especially has really got me irritated.
Well there is hope for that department, since they say they have "big plans" for it.

BlaqNumbr9 wrote:
It's going to be interesting seeing both companies animated opening sequences running side by side.
Yes, very interesting indeed. Have these two ever done something like this before?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:43 am Reply with quote
Kuroki wrote:
I'm a little sceptical about that. At least where the packaging is concerned. When I picked up the DVD I instantly knew that it had to be a smaller comapny producing it. There is no way the Tactics DVD would have been released as is, through ADV. ADV always has impecable design with their products.

I can't say anything about the content since I have yet to watch it.

I don't know, Manga also released Karas which had a very good slipcover and box art along with a small comic inside, so it's not as though Manga is incapable of a decent release themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JoshuaStChristopher

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:13 pm Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
RezSav wrote:
So does "cousin" have a different meaning in Japan? Was reading up on the show and this popped up "Together with his cousin, Mako (whom he has a crush on)" Anime hyper

I hope you're being facetious.

Bingo. Just a jab at this whole loli-fetish thing.
yugofan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:22 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:

The legal age for marriage in Japan is 18 for males and 16 for females, with the consent of at least one the parents of the person in question.

Yes, but just to clarify, the age of consent is not the same as the legal age for marriage and varies by location. It can be as young as 13 in some areas.
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised that this series was picked up. Chris Swett of "Track-shun" said a series like this would never be released in America. He also said the same thing about Pani Poni Dash! (which he compared Daikon Bros. to). After seeing a small preview of this show, I can't wait to watch it. I love a good musical comedy anime. Has a lot of variety in it.

Now if they can just do a sketch comedy anime...
starcade

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 5:09 pm Reply with quote
All I have to say after seeing episode 1 at AX is:

Keep the kids away from this one!! OMG, if the first ep is that off the wall...
Cochise

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:59 pm Reply with quote
RezSav wrote:
So does "cousin" have a different meaning in Japan? Was reading up on the show and this popped up "Together with his cousin, Mako (whom he has a crush on)" Anime hyper

First Cousin is frowned upon and semi illegal, however second and third cousins are acceptable. Also remember that they have large extended families. In the US we often lose track of siblings after we grow and move on but the Japanese still live in a patriarchal system and maintain their family connections with "Cousins" that in all practical since are not really related.

I'm new to the board and a new fan to Full Metal Panic. Any word about the Second Raid OAV and if it is going to be English dubbed? Also how often are the episode's being released? I just bought and watched the FMP Perfect Collection and the Fumoffu set, so I have no idea of how often episodes are released, also I have seen some English dubbed episodes on the Anime channel that are not in my sets.
Abarenbo Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 4:08 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Fallen Embers wrote:
ADV needs to take better care of its already existing licenses before splurging on new ones. Its manga department especially has really got me irritated.
Well there is hope for that department, since they say they have "big plans" for it.

Which probably means "Let's torch it and never a speak of this again."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3