• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - K-On Flux

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scormio

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, I usually just glance at Shelf Life to laugh at my favorite shows being rated poorly, but low and behold K-ON! get's a top rating. Probably just a one-off though Rolling Eyes

Also, in terms of Chobits (and most CLAMP manga in general) the manga version is the far superior media. Though to be honest, Chobits is the only CLAMP title I read for more than just the art.
Happiness for Subaru
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
So many things I could say right here, but I'm just going to leave it at that.
That would be the perfect response to a John Casey post.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:48 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:
Wow, I usually just glance at Shelf Life to laugh at my favorite shows being rated poorly, but low and behold K-ON! get's a top rating. Probably just a one-off though Rolling Eyes

spoiler[Once we get to the "ricebowl" and all the molesting... I mean, doting over Azunyan, I'm sure she won't find it shelf-worthy any longer.]
nechronius

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:52 am Reply with quote
Wood planks can definitely be exciting. As can tires. I really like tires.

That aside, I think I like K-On about as much as I like tires. Yes, it makes little sense, but for sure K-On's one's of my guilty pleasures. I tune out the brain and enjoy the zany antics, and the occasional catchy tune, when they actually care to show the girls play. Shelf worthy? Tires are definitely shelf worthy. Keep spares for special occasions.

As for Chobits, while I agree that it does take a bit to get going, yea the "perishable" rating seemed a bit harsh. I mean like a sucker punch to the kidneys kind of harsh.

I'm glad a poster cleared up the deal with the manga, as I always felt there was a bit lacking about how the story finally developed. Looking back, it was probably a bit too cheesecake heavy and possibly too melodramatic. And yes, slow. But perishable? Ouch!

As for the ricebowl, that's about the only such moment that can be cited. And even that's pretty weak. If you're looking for cheesecake, Seikon no Qwaser is that way. ->

Last edited by nechronius on Mon May 30, 2011 12:55 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:54 am Reply with quote
Murder She wrote:

K-ON! somehow makes me feel pleasantly nostalgic about high school, despite the fact that I actually hated high school.

Why does everybody say that here? I'm starting to sense a pattern.... Laughing

Murder She wrote:

It's revealed that Blade has a preference towards young girls, and he alternately dotes on Mio and lusts after her. I was grossed out by these jokes,

Really? This is like an anime staple. Laughing

Murder She wrote:

Chobits is Perishable for me on two counts. First, I'm disturbed by the sexual politics.

Oh. No. You. Did-n't! Even a 40+ yr old anime newbie female acquaintance noted its ultimate male fantasy - and liked it! Anime is all about ultimate fantasies - no politics! Laughing

Murder She wrote:

The idea that Hideki is both Chi's parent and her future lover grosses me out.

Dark Schneider and Arshes Nei would like a word with ya. It's called "conditioning" and perfectly normal in anime/manga. Laughing

Murder She wrote:

If Hideki were a less pure and virginal man, he might've trained Chi to be his cheerful and willing sex slave. He doesn't, because he's a nice guy, but I think the show wants us to consider that possibility. Either that or I'm just a pervert with no sense of humor.

Why not both? I thought perverts have to have a sense of humor. Laughing

Murder She wrote:

I have no idea why they put Chi's off switch in her vagina (is that cute?!). Won't Hideki be a virgin forever if she keeps turning on and off in the middle of the act?

I think that's sorta the idea of the design. It's verboten! Laughing

Last edited by enurtsol on Mon May 30, 2011 1:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 12:57 am Reply with quote
Scormio wrote:

I'd be inclined to think that, reading both the review and watching the unobjectionable-but-still-mostly-lacking first disc. There are plenty of other, more fulfilling ways to kill brain cells than watching K-On.

And just how do you pronounce K-On, anyway?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Fortunately, my expectations of musical anime were lowered long ago by BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad, which is frustrating to watch early on because the show focuses on coming of age first and playing the guitar second.

Maaaan... BECK doesn't deserve being compared to K-ON at the former's expense.
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
nechronius wrote:

As for the ricebowl, that's about the only such moment that can be cited. And even that's pretty weak. If you're looking for cheesecake, Seikon no Qwaser is that way. ->

Seikon no Qwasar? Cheesecake? Sir, I believe you have just stated the understatement of the year.
Kyaa the Catlord

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:14 am Reply with quote
Shelf Life is totally entertainment for me as well. I don't take the reviews seriously. Its just fun watching to see what sort of fallout is going to occur this week.

But then again, I don't come to this site for the reviews. I'm able to decide what I like on my own. I come for the news and sometimes I feel that even that is taking a second seat to the opinions of the writers of this site.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Splitter wrote:
nechronius wrote:

Seikon no Qwasar? Cheesecake? Sir, I believe you have just stated the understatement of the year.

Ya could curd so much cheese out of so much milk! Laughing
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Long live K-ON, a truly awesome show.

Ritsu for life.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:31 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

I think it's pronounced KAY OWN, although I prefer to pronounce it "crap"
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:36 am Reply with quote
K-On - Shelf Worthy... Chobits Perishable. ... ok... ? Confused

I only clicked on this week's column to see the review of the new box set and wow... that's harsh. Such a harsh review and and blatant disregard of the meat of the Chobits storyline. Unfortunately the politics and questions gross you out to the point you can't even seriously think about what the show is asking you; is love with a machine possible, and what are the repercussions of it. The vulgarity of it all apparently traumatized your mind from even acknowledging that the show has more to it than just echhi jokes which pretty much go away after the first six episodes when the show takes a more serious turn and plot lines and mysteries emerge.

Sure, Hideki and Chi's relationship can get boring at times, but there were other well developed characters that the show highlighted that addressed these issues in a different light. It's what put the drama there, but apparently you can't get past some of the cleanest ecchi humor I've seen in anime, what more you're holding this pervert humor against this anime when you've made shelf worthy reviews of worse offenders. With Chobits it appears you're just seeing the surface value of the show, and are completely missing what's under the skin.

I don't think I'll be coming back to this column unless Bamboo guest reviews again. I've known it for a while, but I don't seem to have any similar tastes at all to Erin, and I'm getting tired of seeing her rip apart one show for something she praises in another - and doing so in a way that isn't even entertaining. I just don't get anything out of reading it anymore which sucks because I used to love reading shelf-life whether or not I agreed with the reviews.
Unholy_Nny

Okay. What?

Making Chobits perishable almost seems like something Armond White would do.

Just sayin'
RoverTX

Joe Mello wrote:

I don't know much about the show but

From the encyclopedia

けいおん! (Japanese)

け=ke
い=i
お=o
ん=n

there for

strictly Kei-on

or

loosely Kay-on

.....or

K-ON

Last edited by RoverTX on Mon May 30, 2011 1:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 11