• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your OWN manga

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:24 am Reply with quote
Many thanks to the guy who revived this thread. I myself have a new series in the works(currently I'm only working on this and Dragon Kids)

Title- Fox Boy

PLOT

Titus is a young half-fox(kitsune actually since his mom's a kitsune) growing up in Ohiro. However, this poor kid has faced discrimination all his life. He doesn't have many friends and ocasionally pulls pranks on his teacher(not in the way you're probably thinking). However, one day when he's coming home from school, he finds his mom has been murdered. Confused and scared, Titus retreats to the woods on the outskirts of Ohiro where one of his teachers, Takahashi, finds him. Takahashi then attacks Titus, stating he knows who killed Titus' mom but before he can say anything else, is stopped by a faceless presence who he refers to as "Hito". Takahashi and Hito then leave together. After being found by his other teacher, Isuma and his friend, Kyoji, Titus and the gang set out to find who killed Titus' mom. On the way they make new friends, and new enemies.

CHARACTERS

Titus Misawa- The main character of the story. Titus is a half-fox(reffered to as a half-fox because of his one tail). Titus has faced discrimination his whole life merely for what he is. Originally wanting nothing more than the love and appreciation of his villiage, Titus now has something else he wants: To find the murderer of his mom. AGE: 10

Kyoji Musashi- Titus' best friend and probably the person who understands Titus most. Kyoji is a half-dragon who accompanies Titus and Isuma in their journey. Last name is based off the legendary samurai. AGE: 9

Colleen Kohta- Another of Titus' friends. Colleen first appears in chapter 2, stating that she wants to go along with Titus to find out who murdered his mom. Colleen may also have a crush on Titus. Only time will tell. Age: 10

Isuma- Titus' teacher. Isuma, although always scolding Titus for his "stupid tricks" understands how Titus feels. He himself growing up as an outcast, his only friend was Takahashi. He can't believe that his best friend tried to kill Titus. He accompanies the kids on their journey as a father figure and to find out what happened to Takahashi. He is also a lolicon and constantly falls for Titus' "special move" The Loli Transformation Technique. Age: 24

Rink- A mysterious swordsman who joins Titus' group later on. Has a mysterious connection to Titus. Age: 24

Shina-A young woman who uses talismans to fight. Joins Titus' group later on. Age: 17

Ryu Sazaka- A young boy Titus and friends meet in Atlantia. He asks to join the group. His name is a playoff on the F-Zero character Ryu Suzaku.

Hito- A faceless prescence who makes a cameo in chapter 1. Although only his silouette and lower half of his face are shown. Not much else is known about him. Reffered to by Takahashi as "Master Hito". Age: unknown

Titus' father- Titus' dad. He plays a big role in the series and shows up later on. Age: 47

If anyone wants to tell me what they think of my work, I'd like to hear what you have to say. Any suggestions would be alright too.

Here's a link to two drawings I did of Titus.

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50320534/

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/49932438/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hero_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Umm . . . I guess that was me, and you're welcome. So, do we comment on each other's things here, or what?
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quote
Hero_of_Avalon wrote:
Umm . . . I guess that was me, and you're welcome. So, do we comment on each other's things here, or what?

What do you mean do we comment on other's things? Usually we just share ideas for manga and people usually comment on them. And your idea looks pretty cool. Good luck with that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hero_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:54 pm Reply with quote
HAH! Good luck means nothing unless I can actually get the idea down in comic form. Say, you don't happen to know of any available artists, do you?
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Seeing all these detailed, in-depth character bios and summaries make me actually feel like writing my story out. Shocked I'll keep it short, don't worry....

I'm pretty sure I posted way back in this thread, but basically my comic is called Pinnacle and it's a pretty standard "princess on the run" type tale. The 'princess' is actually the All-Highest, a sort of religious figure that is chosen from birth to unite the people of Oveirra. Much to her displeasure Soan is chosen and is closeted from society from day 1 of her life. She is not allowed to associate with other children, enter the outside world, or do anything except 'study' for her responsibilities. In the past this has been done to raise 'pure' and immaculate leaders who are psychologically incapable of taking advantage of their limitless political power. Needless to say, Soan grows up kinda warped.

Later, a Sister from the convent training Soan feels sorry for her and, in secret, tries to show Soan the outside world. Slowly, Soan, comes to realize how hollow her existence is and longs for freedom. However, the other nuns find out about the 'corruption' and burn Soan's Sister friend at the stake. They force 8-year old Soan to watch, and then, hoping it will 'purify' her of the negative influences, place her in solitary confinement for 6 years. But when she is released Soan escapes, and that's where the story actually begins. (this is all flashback)

After Soan escapes, she steals a springoat (looks like a billygoat-kangaroo thing) and names him Ralligan. Soan and Ralligan travel the world, meeting other characters who sympathise with Soan's cause and want to help her escape from Oveirra. Namely, there's Jek, a 28-year old poacher who wants to keep Soan from causing too much trouble, Lukilu, a precocious monkey boy, and Mother Tousely, a elderly Viking woman. Meanwhile, there are plenty of bounty hunters trying to capture Soan and sell her back to Oveirra, which is in poiltical chaos.

The main group of bounty hunters is known as the Cavalry, and like Soan with her springoat, all of them ride and fight on strange beasts. The first is Ithia, a swordswoman who comes from a male-dominated society, and who wants to prove to her family that women can do more than just mind the house. She rides a baby centipede dragon named Sylforn who has a bad habit of 'teething' on mountains and people's houses. There's Rookaroo, Lukilu's older brother, who seeks top use Soan's bounty to help their jungle village out of poverty. He rides Urulk, a grumpy rhino-pig. The third member is Osvel, an 11-year old telepath who works for a freemasonry dedicated to world peace (that includes forcing Soan to go back to Oveirra). He rides a flying fish, Loresla. The leader is Reska, a 16-year old Emperor who, like Soan, was forced from birth to take on the responsibility of ruling a country. But unlike Soan, he believes strongly in his duties and thinks Soan is a disgrace for abandoning her people. He rides a giant black heron and , and wants to conquer Oveirra by ransoming Soan against her people.

So, anyway, there's fights, and action and stuff, and plot twists, and Soan and Reska fall in love for no apparent reason.. And that's pretty much it. XP

Older character designs

Cavalry Sketches
Hero_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 6:45 pm Reply with quote
That sounds pretty good to me. The only thing that I'd correct is the fact that the Emperor and the princess fall in love for no apparent reason. There has to be a reason for love to blossom, ne? I don't go around proposing to a random girl on the street. XP
Shonen Bat

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:09 pm Reply with quote
Hero_of_Avalon wrote:
HAH! Good luck means nothing unless I can actually get the idea down in comic form. Say, you don't happen to know of any available artists, do you?

Unfortunately no. But here's what I suggest: Make your series a webcomic first. Afer that, just hope to God that someone will like your work enough to want to turn it into a manga. That's what I plan on doing for Dragon Kids and Fox Boy. My friends and family have said that they think my work is good but we'll have to see what some big company will think of my work.
Dranxis

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
That sounds pretty good to me. The only thing that I'd correct is the fact that the Emperor and the princess fall in love for no apparent reason. There has to be a reason for love to blossom, ne? I don't go around proposing to a random girl on the street. XP

Haha, there's plenty of 'apparent reasons' for Soan and Reska to fall in love, but I didn't feel like typing much more. At first, they really hated eachother's guts, but after some battling and stuff they realize how similar they really are. To put it simply, since they both went through the same problems growing up, they feel like they're the only ones who really understand one another. Both of them were very lonely, and had the weight of the world on their shoulders from day one.

When Reska's family tries to assasinate him (he's got serious family issues, but I won't go into that) he believes Soan is the only one he can trust anymore. Despite the fact that Reska was her enemy before, Soan forgives him and decides to help him take back his country. He joins her group, they spend time together, there's angsting involved since neither of them is good at falling in love, and eventually they get together. I'm still working on it. =P

Quote:
Unfortunately no. But here's what I suggest: Make your series a webcomic first. Afer that, just hope to God that someone will like your work enough to want to turn it into a manga. That's what I plan on doing for Dragon Kids and Fox Boy. My friends and family have said that they think my work is good but we'll have to see what some big company will think of my work.

Absolutely, doing a webcomic first is great for experience. I'll be starting a webcomic later this year, but it probably will be a lot smaller in scale than my story Pinnacle.
Hero_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Dranxis wrote:
Quote:

Haha, there's plenty of 'apparent reasons' for Soan and Reska to fall in love, but I didn't feel like typing much more. At first, they really hated eachother's guts, but after some battling and stuff they realize how similar they really are. To put it simply, since they both went through the same problems growing up, they feel like they're the only ones who really understand one another. Both of them were very lonely, and had the weight of the world on their shoulders from day one.

When Reska's family tries to assasinate him (he's got serious family issues, but I won't go into that) he believes Soan is the only one he can trust anymore. Despite the fact that Reska was her enemy before, Soan forgives him and decides to help him take back his country. He joins her group, they spend time together, there's angsting involved since neither of them is good at falling in love, and eventually they get together. I'm still working on it. =P

Quote:

Absolutely, doing a webcomic first is great for experience. I'll be starting a webcomic later this year, but it probably will be a lot smaller in scale than my story Pinnacle.

I see your strategy on your story. Sounds good if you plan it out ahead of time. Just remember not to rush too much. If there's one thing I've learned from manga, it's that writers have to take their time in moving the stories along.

Also, I have indeed seen webcomics around. The only thing I'm unclear on is who I'd get to have host my webcomic, and who would be interested in helping to make it a reality. As I said once before, I have no talent as an artist, never really did. So, now you see my dilemma. I have this idea that just can't wait to come out, and there's not a blessed thing I can do about it. Anime hyper
Andrue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:05 pm Reply with quote
i used to do my own versions of already popular manga and i got better at drawing that way. i used to write and draw a comic strip style manga called mangamerica that i thought was cool. it was a social satire and a commentary on american pop culture in general. im thinking of starting to do it again. i have fallen out of my manga and anime recently but now my interest is sparked again. the main characters were a robot with a brain in a jar and a cliche manga character living in america. if i ever put it up again ill post a link here.
jgreen

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Hero_of_Avalon wrote:

Good places to look are here, here, here, and here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hero_of_Avalon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:13 pm Reply with quote
jgreen wrote:
Hero_of_Avalon wrote:

Good places to look are here, here, here, and here.

Three of those I've seen and have an account on, though they have yet to bear fruit. Digital Webbing, though, I'd never heard of that one. *Goes to look with a renewed sense of hope* Anime smile
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm going to go ahead and revive this thread because I just barely remembered one I came up with around the same time as Kain and Nephilum that I forgot about for a long time.

Warrior Brave

It's an Native-American themed one about a guy who is half Japanese half Native-American who just barely moved from Northern Arizona to Japan. He comes descended from one of the only Indian tribes left in the world battling with other remaining tribes for survival as the last remaining tribe. His grandfather is is a memeber of a council of 8 of their 9 remaining tribal warriors, each one a great warrior who has been trained in the fighting ways of the great sky spirit. His grandfather however has decided to give up his role as a warrior, and has decided to train his grandson in the ways of the great sky spirit to replace him in the council as the 10th warrior of their tribe, which only has about 31 remainders in it. The other warrior is one who was the main character's best friend and his grandfather's apprentice at the time who was unruly and had a hard time excepting his role in the tribe, and believed that they were holding him back from ataining true power. As a result, he was persuaded to betray them to sell his soul to a tribe that had given themselves to the terrible spirit of hatred and violence in order to gain power. He is currently one of their greatest warriors.
Meiaminkbell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:29 pm Reply with quote
I have this fantastic idea that I cannot wait to get launched. However, I wish it to remain a secret either until...

A) It gets published

B) All attempts of getting it mainstream fail.
hanachan01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Haven't been on for awhile. Anyways, I ended up dropping the comic I was working on previous (which all of you probably forgot about), because I'm a really bad writer and decided I just wanted to draw. Luckily, I have a friend who is an amazing writer, and we decided to team up to create a different comic (thought two of the characters from my previous one are in it)

Butterflies and Hurrincanes

Plot- Hugh Anderson is the manager for NYC indie duo Fat Flamingos, consisting of singer Noeru Ichihara and his guitar-playing sister Koi. They are good friends with fellow indie band Zenobia, which has singer Lulu Rathbone, guitarist Mickey Gunn, bassist Rob Carlock, and drummer Reina Holmes.

The story is about the two bands trying to make it big. It's a romantic comedy with an slight emphasis on comedy. The protagonists are Hugh, Noeru, and Koi, thought the other characters play major parts. Since Hugh is a gay male, Noeru is straight, and Koi is a lesbian, there is yaoi, het, and yuri in the story, because my friend and I like all three of those.

We set up a community on LJ for us to post anything related to the comic, as well as our other projects (such as our doujinshi and her novel). It's called Konbini Comics, or Convenience Store Comics, after a line in the Morning Musume song "The Peace!"

We plan on publishing it doujinshi style and selling it online and at conventions. Currently, my friend is almost done writing volume one, and I am about to start drawing it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 22