• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Announces Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic Dub Cast

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sobe

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:23 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Sobe wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Aladdin is a 10 year old boy or whatever. Unless they could get an actual kid to voice him, keep male voice actors away from him... I don't want to hear an adult voice coming from Aladdin

Assuming all male VA, English or Japanese, have the same deep voice that is not capable of a wide range like Daisuke Namikawa is a bit ignorant and judgmental. There are some out there but they're rare which isn't helped by the fact that there aren't many male English VA compared to how many male Japanese VA there are.

Its nearly impossible for a grown man to sound like a little boy unless it sounds very forced and unnatural. Women are perfect for playing pre-pubescent characters since it sounds natural.

Nothing is impossible. Just highly improbable. ;D Like I said, Daisuke Namikawa is apart of that "nearly impossible" that has a wide range of voice acting. Jun Fukuyama is another prime example.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:30 pm Reply with quote
The best part of this trailer is I finally know how to pronounce the name of the freaking show.

Seems like a solid dub though! I don't know half of the dub cast list right off, so thats kind of fun. Im actually really surprised that Bryce Papenbrook isn't Alibaba, but I guess he has SAO going for him right now.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:48 pm Reply with quote
The way they use the Japanese pronunciation of Magi kinda bugs me when anyone that celebrates Christmas already has a well ingrained pronunciation in mind.

Didn't really like Aladdin's voice the entire time. Sometimes it sounded alright, but other times it got way too close to little girl sounding.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
Crystal wrote:
Tris8 wrote:
Dang, they are using a female VA for Aladdin Sad The majority of the time I don't like how it sounds when a woman voices a male character. Aladdin's apparent age is pretty young though which makes it better.

Um, that's pretty much an animation standard. And it happened in Japanese too. Alot. They did it in the days of Rocky & Bullwinkle, they do it in the Simpsons and King of the Hill (both of which are longrunners) . . . they do it because men don't have "as" close kids' voices (although it can be a cool character voice sometimes) and they don't like to use kids in TV shows (although often in films) because their voice will change over time. Does seem a little odd they do it in anime that's only supposed to be one season if the VA won't ever play the character again, but it's also because kids can be harder to work with at times.
Yes, I know. And still don't like it. Erica Mendez sounds like she does a good job from the trailer but in a perfect world I would have liked a male to voice Aladdin.

And hopefully you mean you would like a real 12 year old boy to voice aladdin, not some 30-40 year old dude who doesn't even sound like a kid. :/
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Emerje wrote:
The way they use the Japanese pronunciation of Magi kinda bugs me when anyone that celebrates Christmas already has a well ingrained pronunciation in mind.

Didn't really like Aladdin's voice the entire time. Sometimes it sounded alright, but other times it got way too close to little girl sounding.

Emerje

He sounded like a girl the entire time in the original Japanese version too y'know. To be honest, I'm glad they went with a female VA. I'd rather not hear a 12 year old boy sound like he's 40 years old but maybe that's just me.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:20 pm Reply with quote
But where's Robin Williams in this? Laughing
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Cristina Vee playing a Tomatsu Haruka character? No complaints here
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:02 pm Reply with quote
FUN FACT: Alibaba's VA is the same as Haruyuki Arata's VA from Accel World...

...in BOTH languages!! Smile
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Slightly disappointed by Sinbad's voice--the voice type fits fine, but he doesn't sound quite as impressive as he did in Japanese. Of course, it's hard to match Daisuke Ono xD And can't judge too much based on just a couple seconds. Otherwise, though, this dub actually sounds pretty great! Aladdin sounds adorable and Alibaba's voice is spot-on^^
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:46 pm Reply with quote
So is the Aladdin character voiced by a man in Japanese? Looking at him, I would've assumed he'd be voiced by a woman.
rheiders

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:50 pm Reply with quote
^He was definitely voiced by a woman in Japanese. Kaori Ishihara, according to MAL.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 12:57 am Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
FUN FACT: Alibaba's VA is the same as Haruyuki Arata's VA from Accel World...

...in BOTH languages!! Smile
Please tell me that they aren't casting for dubs based the actor's vocal similarities to a seiyu. Please. That is how we regress back to the dark ages of dubbing. On the plus side, since this is obviously an NA actress it lessens the pervasive pederasty present in this series IMO. Watching the first few eps of this in Japanese made me suspect that it was elaborate shota-pr0n...

I like Haberkorn and Seitz as actors but, excepting some NGP roles for Seitz, I've yet to hear either put forth an effort that even comes close to what they do for Funimation when they work for other studios. I'm also not impressed by the other cast members.
Emerje wrote:

I agree with this. No matter how many times Aniplex tried to ram home that "Magicka" was to be pronounced "mah-gi-kah" I refused to call it that. Similarly I won't be calling this "mah-gi".

I'm also wondering where Robin Williams is. If he had done this then maybe, maybe he could have been deterred from making that very lame new sitcom The Crazy Ones.
Crystal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:11 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:
I agree with this. No matter how many times Aniplex tried to ram home that "Magicka" was to be pronounced "mah-gi-kah" I refused to call it that. Similarly I won't be calling this "mah-gi".[/quote]

They pronounced it "mah-geek-kah" in Japanese as well. If they didn't people would flip out.

When they dubbed stuff like Utena, people complained about the dub mispronouncing Tenjou and Saionji. Now that they mimic Japanese pronunciations, people complain (and sometimes mean-spiritedly mock it). No one EVER complains that Japanese voice actors mispronounce our words.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 6:19 am Reply with quote
well give casting they put on it give a total new name as aladdin notice there also vee, todd, mercer, & seitz.

give really since we're in 2010s years it's start to prepare for more next era of anime dub voices.
paperfanofdoom

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:00 am Reply with quote
Glad they chose newer seiyuu that actually sound good for many of the main roles, and for the more seasoned VA's they chose people who fit well. Seemed like as far as Aniplex dubs went, the time between Durarara and now has been a period of more misses than hits.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3