• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Coppelion (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

Others will probably not share my opinion, but I found Aoi to be hilarious in this episode. She kind of reminded me of Mako from Kill la Kill, but the randomness worked in contrast the seriousness of what was happening rather than being washed out by randomness.

My reaction to the reveal of the villain was like something from spoiler[Fallout], to be more precise he looked like a spoiler[Ghoul] because of the spoiler[zombie like appearance and iconic missing nose].

Also looks like Ibara is only just figuring out what "clean up" is.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:41 am Reply with quote
Those 1st Divisionspoiler[ guys are a menace].
spoiler[Aoi] was totally annoying this time.
She always gets into trouble and spoiler[cries for Ibara] ^^"
It was interesting to see Coppelion has spoiler[male members] as well.
spoiler[Haruto] was a nice surprise. He seems to be very capable.
Even though his methods are quite different from the girls'.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:12 am Reply with quote
Can someone please kill Aoi? Seriously she is such a useless and annoying character and pretty much ruins any seriousness this show is trying to have. I mean this entire episode was a result of her being retarded and getting captured by making a stupid assumption.

Ibara wasn't very smart in this episode either. I mean didn't she kill a bunch of dudes with that remote explosive last episode? Why is she hesitating now? Plus when you shoot someone it doesn't ALWAYS have to kill them. Just shoot them in the leg or arm or something and move on to the next guy. I mean it's not like any of these guys can aim correctly anyway. They were firing for almost 8 straight seconds at Haruto while he was (epically) taking off the pin of a grenade and throwing it.

THEY FREAKING DESERVE TO BE SHOT!
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:37 am Reply with quote
She might have done it when armed people coming at her, that is defence. But she clearly thinks it totally different in a situation where the other person is unarmed or going after people that are just on guard. It is not always a great thing to just go out and shoot people, the idea reminds me of how video games really make the decision feel so easy, and how the game Spec Ops: The Line did a good job at exploring the subject.

And I really don't see how Aoi deserves to die just because she complains about discomfort and such, it is pretty human. It is a pretty good thing to compare her to Ibara who was apparently pushing herself too much and possibly putting herself in danger. I like to think Aoi is put in place to balance out aspects that Ibara is lacking.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:07 am Reply with quote
Episode 6.

spoiler[So those troops managed to survive due to their bodies mutating and adapting to the radioactive wasteland.
And we found the difference between Ibara's team and Haruto's team: the former were trained to rescue and help people while the latter were trained to kill people.
I like Haruto. It helps he's Maaya Sakamoto's hubby. lol
Speaking of Maaya, looks like the Ozu sisters will be appearing next episode.]
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:30 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
She might have done it when armed people coming at her, that is defence. But she clearly thinks it totally different in a situation where the other person is unarmed or going after people that are just on guard. It is not always a great thing to just go out and shoot people, the idea reminds me of how video games really make the decision feel so easy, and how the game Spec Ops: The Line did a good job at exploring the subject.

And I really don't see how Aoi deserves to die just because she complains about discomfort and such, it is pretty human. It is a pretty good thing to compare her to Ibara who was apparently pushing herself too much and possibly putting herself in danger. I like to think Aoi is put in place to balance out aspects that Ibara is lacking.

Lets see. So it makes sense to not shoot someone who is unarmed and potentially end up dying a pointless death? I mean you've got to look at the bigger picture here. What if the guys around her (who were all armed) killed her because of her hesitation? It was talked about at the beginning of the episode that the 1st division wanted the girls because they were Coppelion so that's why they didn't try to kill her........but that argument was completely thrown out the door when they fired a giant tank shell at her.

Haruto was being the smart one here. When you have an army of guys that your friend is surrounded by do you REALLY think that you are going to get through all of them without spilling a little blood? These guys have already presented themselves as extremely hostile and it was stated they don't even care about their life's. Given that they have been set in their ways for YEARS i find it a little dumb that Ibara thought that they would actually come to her side just like that. But that might just have something to do with how her creators intended her personality to be. Idk but i don't like it.

There is nothing that Aoi does that reminds me of a normal human. Maybe a spoiled rotten child. But not a normal person. My question is why give this kind of personality to someone who clearly possesses no special abilities or talents? It simply drags everyone else down. I mean what exactly does complaining all the time accomplish in any practical situation? Nothing. I have a hunch Aoi has a special power that will be revealed later but right now i could really care less what it is.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:36 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
There is nothing that Aoi does that reminds me of a normal human. Maybe a spoiled rotten child. But not a normal person. My question is why give this kind of personality to someone who clearly possesses no special abilities or talents? It simply drags everyone else down. I mean what exactly does complaining all the time accomplish in any practical situation? Nothing. I have a hunch Aoi has a special power that will be revealed later but right now i could really care less what it is.

Empathy. Not everyone is like Ibara, and someone so honest can be quite helpful for gaining trust of people they can save.
leatherhead333

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Not seeing any signs of it helping them yet.
Personally i really think that Aoi is just in the show for comic relief and as with all forms of comedy it's either a love hate relationship.......my case is hate Razz
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6
Wow, Aoi...I seriously can't stand her now with the way she was this episode. Now, this spoiler[Haruto] guy seems kinda interesting. I think he might add some fun elements to the overall series along with a possible new character judging by the PV there as well.

spoiler[Poor Ibara though ;.; ouch. I hope she'll be okay.]

----------------
Also, does anyone know how or why episode 6 came out earlier than usual? The episode apparently made its way on the web hours before the usual Japan premiere.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:21 pm Reply with quote
I <3 Aoi, but I do understand why she drives some people crazy. Speaking for myself, she just cracks me up. But yeah, the fact that she has not exhibited any Coppelion skill at all makes zero sense. It's just that I long ago ceased expecting this show to make sense.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:05 pm Reply with quote
I normally don't mind shows not making sense. The problem I have with Coppelion is that even though it does it not make sense, it pretends like it does, coming up with explanations that don't explain anything.
Galap

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:12 am Reply with quote
Hmm... I guess I'm the only guy 'round these parts who's really down with this show.

I think it's completely fascinating. There's a lot of stuff we haven't really seen the full story on, and a picture of this setting is being gradually filled in over the course of the show. You may have had an idea of what a radioactive ghost city would be like, but this show steadily continues to challenge any assumptions about it. It would be mostly abandoned, right? No, there are actually quite a few people there. The girls are there to save them, right? What if they don't want to be saved? The train would be a rusted piece of junk by now? No, they still used it until recently. It's cool, because I think the Coppelia are the rest of Japan's first foray back into this area, and even the main characters have a lot of assumptions about the place, and they're being challenged one by one.

It's not holding your hand with the moral lines, either. Who are we supposed to like? Who aren't we supposed to like? It's being fairly even handed, presenting the strengths and weaknesses of most people they encounter, and really subtly handling their philosophies. The coolest part of this episode was spoiler[How it would be easy for characters to condemn the 1st division guy because he's come to look so horrific, but Ibara isn't fazed by that and wants to give him a chance, commenting on how human his eyes look... but he ends up doing something completely inhuman in that moment, but it's not because he looked that way that that happened.]

I also like how the Coppelion (Ibara mostly) take the opposite stance on their artificiality than what appears most often in fiction. Rather than condemn herself as a 'doll', or mosntrosity, or 'shoudn't have been born', or any crap like that, Ibara embraces her transhuman nature, praising science as her mother, since that is how she came to exist, and the purpose she was created for is what she wants to fulfil. It lines up with my sensibilities about the matter, and runs counter to the fear of change we see so often, so I'm really glad it's like that, since that's how I think many transhumans would think. Ibara has a real sense of things, an uncommon maturity, and a detailed sense of responsibility for what happens.

We'll see where this goes, but I for one think it makes perfect sense, and there's a real lot of fascinating stuff going on here.
Doughboy88

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Overall, I think this series is good enough to keep me interested, but its definitely not the first show I'm looking forward to each week. The biggest issues come from when it seems like they are going to explain something important (cause of this disaster; continuous movement of hazardous waste) and then just drop it because another issue comes up that takes over the rest of the episode. I think if it slowed down and explained more of the background details from the beginning instead of going for the action or emotional moments to run the opening episodes it would have made so much more sense and would seem like a complete series by now.

Episode 6

Aoi was getting into overly complaining/annoying territory for me in this episode after the events of the last episode were added on.
I was sure that the Planet hideout was actually the giant mechanical spider looking thing from the OP, but I guess not...

More questions that should be explained but no guarantees:
spoiler[What happened to the 1st Division commander to make him like that?
How is he still alive when everyone else dies from being contaminated?
Who was the 1st Division guy that gave Aoi a chance to run away?]
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what to think of Aoi. I cant stand her whining and constant complaing all the damn time, but in this episode I really did laugh at her predicament. it's too bad really, because I really like Kana Hanazawa, but this role of her's is annoying.

Last edited by getchman on Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:02 pm Reply with quote
^
Her name is actually Kana Hanazawa, not Hana Kanazawa. Don't sweat it, I took ages to learn which way round the K and H went.

She is a good voice actress (though a tad overused); for example she put in a great performance during Nadeko's arc in Monogatari Second Season. I think the problem with her work in Coppelion is that she's been directed very poorly, along with many others in the cast I might add. Bad direction can bring down even good actors and actresses coughStarsWarsPrequelscough
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12