• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ginsan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:16 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
but I'm not the only one ever to notice this kind of over-zealous behavior from many OP fans and it's really annoying

I do get what you mean and curious if you actually read One Piece.

OH&S wrote:

I don't see AOT replicating this sales number anytime soon. I still see it selling over 10 million next year but nothing over 15 million. I say this because OP went through a similar phase back in 2009 -2010 when the sales of its volumes exploded due to the Strong World Film being released and it being timed with the climax of Part 1 of the manga. It reached 38 million copies sold in one year in 2011. Now its down to 18 million. AOT does't have the same advantage as OP does in the manga so it sales should fall more quickly (unless a 13 ep anime season is announced soon...).

At the end of the day, there is no use comparing OP and AOT as they are 2 completely different series. AOT's boosted sales still couldn't match OP's normal sales and it probably won't get another get another chance like this ever again.

Holy shit did you just said that OP sold 38mil in 2011? And yeah I agree, AoT got a boost and couldn't do a shit on OP with 3mil of differences, and now that with the latest chapter and arc of One Piece, AoT will fall even further behind.

pykrete wrote:

I very much doubt it can do a One Piece, cause as repeatedly mentioned, Shingeki won't have a never-ending anime. Even FMA got 2.5x longer anime runs and only managed 5-6 million manga sold in 2009 and 2010.

I am curious as to what will happen even if AoT does get a never ending anime adaption, but of course the animation and pacing will suffer because they have to control their budget, taking all this in account you still think it has a chance over OP in the following year?

yukimasuka wrote:

anyways, AoT was a megahit but this number will not happen again.
im surprise that fairy tail is that high with all of the competitions this year.

this will be the last time in quite a while that we get to see hxh on thr list.

the cutoff for top 50 volumes are so high that we don't get to see series that usually rank in the top 50 last year.

Yes this number of AoT probably won't happen ever again and it just lost it's chance to beat OP. Fairy Tail shouldn't even be up there, damn I guess people in Japan dig NatsuxErza sex or Jellal licking the fudge out of Erza's "abc". As for HxH, imho fudge the manga, Togashi should continue with writing the script for the anime, that would be for the best imo, well for us fans anyway. Anime hyper

CrowLia wrote:
But that quote doesn't say it outsold OP. It says it kicked its ass because, in comparison, AoT with 11 volumes and a two-cour anime was only 3 million sales behind OP with its 70something volumes and 10 years worth of anime. A relatively new and previously obscure series gave the history's top-selling manga some serious competition; honestly, that's pretty ass-kicking, whether you want to admit it or not

I am really curious, really. I mean, logically thinking something that has been going on for so long should be losing it's steam, and something that's fresh and new and has only 11 volumes out should be hotter. I mean, if you give me a choice as to which manga to purchase, 2 manga of my favorites, one is shorter in length and another is longer in length, it should be obvious, right? I mean, I know OP has a large fanbase, but it's been going on for so long already that it SHOULD have loses it's steam. I'd say OP is even more impressive, after going on for 72 volumes it still outsold AoT which was the recent BIG hit. Take in account that this is One Piece's normal average sales, and AoT got a freakin huge boost, like 6 times more than the previous year. AoT kicking everyone's asses? Hm.

syrianmj wrote:
I really hate Op So much , But to Be fair If Aot With All this Huge Boost Was not Able to Beat It So There is not any Manga In The World Will Have A Chance Versus It .

Wow hating on One Piece with passion, but to be honest I think HxH has a shot at it, only if Togashi get his ass back on working. I don't know how well HxH sold in the past years when it was active, but damn even on hiatuses it sold 4mil and still in the top 10, man that's awesome beyond word. Personally I love One Piece to death, favorite manga ever beating HxH and every other by miles, but I do think that HxH stands a chance against OP in sales, can't be very sure of that and that's just my opinion.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6