• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - You Da Bomb

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:29 pm Reply with quote
holy crap those shelves this week. I don't have any words to describe such a awesome dvd/bluray collection. The amount of envy I have right now is off the damn charts.

As for Another i really wish sentai would pick up the ova for obvious reasons. I'm happy to see that you enjoyed it bamboo, I've been meaning to pick this up for a year now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:07 pm Reply with quote
I really just did not like Another. The first handful of episodes really just jerked you around to no end, like spoiler[when that one character said "Look, let's stop this charade. Here, I'll tell you. The secret is- Oh no, heart attack, now I'm dead."] I wanted to punch whoever thought that was good writing. It doesn't even really give you the kinds of clues and interesting characters that made other series like Higurashi so great. The series did pick up a bit as it went on, and the *twist* wasn't the most predictable thing in the world (even if they didn't really give you any clues that lead to it), but I would still be cautious about giving it even a rental shelf. There need to be more good suspense/horror/mystery anime.

I haven't seen the other two, but Binobogami Ga I enjoyed the reviews.
CrisGer A.A.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:06 am Reply with quote
Good Luck Girl and Btoom are both TERRIBLE. Both suffer from serious flaws almost too many to mention, but both are over done, forced and frankly dull.

Good Luck Girl might have been fun if her protagonist was at all appealing or interesting but she is just coarse and stupid as a character and the show never rises above mediocre at all.

Btoom! is one of the worst series i have had the misfortune to review and study, the premise is minute and gets smaller as the show goes. one. It tried to push itself up with gratuitous violence and rather rancid sex, but neither can redeem it and the show was panned by viewers with depth of anime experience and I have no idea why both are featured in a review. It is beyond me when there are some fine shows being produced and much much much better than either of these.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:21 am Reply with quote
I would've put Binbougami Ga in Shelf Worthy and Another in downright Perishable.

Another was just so utterly stupid. The writing and execution was terrible, and it got to a point where it wasn't even scary and became completely hilarious in a bad way. When the students get all trapped trying to kill each other everything became just stupid LOOK AT THIS IT'S SO SHOCKING AND HORRIBLE AND TERRIFYING BECAUSE THEY'RE DYING SEE?!!! I think it made a decent twist in making the viewer believe spoiler[Mei or the MC would be "the other" and revealing tha neither was, but the whole thing with Mei's eye was complete BS]

Binbougami Ga on the other hand could've easily become a stupid comedy with lots of boob jokes the end, but it was actually very fresh and fun. The comedy had great writing and amazing timing and the combination of Ichiko and Momiji was fantastic (and the later addition of Ranmaru did nothing but improve the dynamic). The serious moments were very well handled, and Ichiko's growth and opening up was clichéd but heart-warming. I think it excelled in execution and it was definitely one of my favorites from that season
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:10 am Reply with quote
ajr wrote:
I must've been in one heck of a weird mood when I watched Another; I was fervently hoping it was going to suddenly blossom into a wonderful horror-comedy despite all evidence to the contrary.

I've seen enough horror movies to find Another immensely hilarious. From the "Well, look at that!" deaths of physical slapstick to that "Hey, if you see it coming, you can see it going three more times!" repetition. Especially once you get to the "Overlook Hotel" bit. {Hint: It's called Overlook because it over looks the plot...}

And, of course, there are rules that you have to know in order to successfully survive ninth grade!

The plot's really bad, especially after, well not when the suspect is revealed but that someone know who it was even before the damn series began. And how that person knew it? Well, long story...

Just because. No, really, that's it. The series looks great, it sounds great, it's just not great.

One last thing: spoiler[Is Mei a sociopath?]. That really would explain a lot of the story, especially how the ending felt.
xr40

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:29 am Reply with quote
Have to disagree with this for Binbougami Ga. I watched it a couple years ago and just a week ago came across the dubbed version and had problems with it - even before the opening credits. First, only my opinion, but the title change seems entirely wrong. Not just because it names the show for Ichiko [original title refers to Momiji], but because it just sounds like some lame 1970's sitcom. Aside from that, Momiji is a goddess of misfortune, NOT a goddess of poverty. That may seem petty, but there is a big difference there, and the change makes a few scenes into communist propaganda [which is unimportant], but also would make many dialogues and incidents completely senseless [which IS important].
I could go on, but the point is that these kind of arbitrary changes in anime translations [and no, it isn't a variable of translation - poverty and misfortune are not the same in any language] are a major reason people stop watching/buying dubbed episodes.
Anyway, watched three episodes before I couldn't stand it. So I'd say, if you haven't watched it before there's a good chance you'll like it and get quite a few laughs from it. But if you have seen it before, ...just...don't...
Barbobot

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:31 am Reply with quote
But a binbougami brings both poverty and misfortune so either one is pretty much right.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:59 am Reply with quote
Personally I could not stand Another. I struggled to get through it. It just seemed kind of predictable. The last episode also kind of pissed me off. spoiler[not because because a ton of characters die but because some of the characters that have been level headed the ENTIRE show even during the horrible crap that happens all of a sudden go nuts over things that based on how they think the rest of the series would understand what is happening and certain characters dieing is a accident and instead they go insane]

That said I LOVED Good Luck Girl! Momiji alone is a awesome reason to watch that show. It's one of those shows I could go back and watch pretty much any random episode and laugh my ass off. But then again comedy is very subjective and what one person may love to death another will just find meh.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I loved Good Luck Girl, and I'd say it warranted a purchase from me, though I will say that it'll be awhile before I watch it again since the jokes will certainly get old if repeated too often. I was quite surprised by how much I liked it, though it probably helped that I went into it knowing nothing beyond the initial premise. I also agree with Bamboo that the packaging was well done. I bought the collector's edition, and it was pretty neat how the artwork almost seamlessly stretches from the front to the spines of the blu-ray cases and then to the back cover.

I would have also agreed that Another was worth a purchase up until the last couple of episodes. The subdued nature of the horror and the use of more realistic manners of death made it quite unnerving, but then the last couple of episodes turned into something that felt silly by comparison.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Miscommunication abounds in the series, stringing viewers along for episodes on end, when everything would be solved time and time again if anyone just said, "so here's what's going on." It's the oldest trick in the book, but it doesn't make it any less aggravating for viewers. I can't count how many times I yelled at the screen some variant of, "JUST TELL ME, YOU STUPID [here is where the variations came in]" or, "WHY DON'T YOU JUST CLEAR THIS MISUNDERSTANDING WITH YOUR CLASSMATES."
Does this mean that the show is rife with dramatic irony, that the viewer knows what is going on but the characters are clueless, much to the viewer's chagrin?

The Shelf Obsessed was pretty cool this week. The one pic is blurred so I can't make out what it depicts. The one weakness of today's "complete collections" is that they don't look as impressive on a shelf as do the 4-8+ individual DVD cases of yesteryear's anime.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I will never understand the practice of not putting the art box spine out. It defeats the whole purpose of having an art box if you're just gonna have disc spine out.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:35 pm Reply with quote
There is a perfectly good reason for putting the art box spine in. That is if it is not the art box for the series and you are using it to keep the cases together. I used to do that, get rid of the series but keep the art box to help organize things. However they took up too much room so I don't do that anymore.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Sure, I guess that's a practical use, but it's not the purpose. Art boxes are to decorate your collection with something other than a volume number, so if you're just going to tuck away all the sides that show off the art then why have it?

I get it, everyone has there thing. I have my own eccentricities, but for a collector to not show off his art boxes...is odd. If I went and flipped all my art boxes I'd feel dirty.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dlian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:20 am Reply with quote
I just use my art boxes to hold my anime together, but I put it spine in so I can get the dvd cases out without having to pull out the entire box.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:54 am Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
I will never understand the practice of not putting the art box spine out. It defeats the whole purpose of having an art box if you're just gonna have disc spine out.
What if the spine art sucks? Some of my boxes are side-out or dvd-side-out to block art that I don't care for.

There are also sets that were designed to be shown dvds-out, Heat Guy J comes to mind as one such set.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3