• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime in America: The Best (and Worst) of 2013

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spleen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not standing for the only mention of Coppelion being an award for Worst Fall Of Grace. So I'm giving it my award for Best Conceptual Dissonance. When a show can't decide whether it wants to be funny or dramatic, it's usually just annoying. But somehow, Coppelion would bring you to the edge of the seat, and then hit you with some Eddie Murphy slapstick that would make you shriek with laughter.

The dreamy Instagram visuals and the post-apocalyptic setting (which first made me thought we were in for another Sunday With Kicking Eight-Year-Old Girls In The Face) combined with the pop-eyed, flappy-arms comedy falling around should not have worked. But somehow it did.

And then there was the sidekick (the noisy one). I honestly still can't decide whether she was supposed to be a humorous scaredy-cat, or a genuine portrayal of someone suffering from panic attacks. I'm giving her my award for Most Sympathetic Portrayal of a Hikikomori, for being the first character in an anime who shuts themselves away from the world to be sympathetic, and not just annoying and up their own arse.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:23 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:

(excerpt)
Fall from Grace

Maoyu

When I first heard about this one, I was kind of excited. I love anime involving fantasy worlds. I also heard that the plot was going to dip into politics and economics, which caused me to believe that the show was going to be a lot more intellectually stimulating and involve some kind of epic plot.

My sentiments exactly.
Galap

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:32 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:

Coppelion was terrible

Enormously entertaining, but terrible.

I still maintain that Coppelion had very intelligent and even handed moral dilemmas (the best episode was by far the one where they have to look for the kid), and interesting world building in that it challenged both your and the characters' preconceptions of what such a disaster area would be like. It also had some very nice science fiction concepts, like the Aether being made from the coppelia's cells. I also thought Ibara's character was very interesting, especially her whole "science is my mother" speech, since it took the path opposite the most common (and most stupid one) about artificial life's self image. The artistry and atmosphere were really cool, too.

In the final third, most of the interesting stuff gave way to action and too many things happening, but I think it really deserves praise for the first 2/3.

Last edited by Galap on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:39 pm Reply with quote
...I don't know if I have a response to that other than "hahahahahahaha"
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I completely agree with Fencedude on this. I don't know about the last third of Coppelion, but its first half was a mess beyond the first episode.

And if I had given an award for Most Annoying Character, that whiny, useless crybaby amongst the Coppelions would have probably been my pick.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:32 pm Reply with quote
I would say that when looked at in terms of "did this deliver a coherent storyline with characters who acted like reasonable facsimiles of human beings?", Sekatsuyo was a much, MUCH better show than Coppelion.
Starchs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Best Opening and ending: No love for Psycho-Pass

Op 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlneNU4GHCU
Op 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sj6d6-4z5gQ

ending 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lg0ftVeXGkg
ending 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLz8EnrU2ak

I like Cuticle Detective Inaba - its ridiculous funny
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:01 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Theron: The blame for this falls on light novel writers which are increasingly becoming a primary source for anime adaptations. So who was the one who started this hideously annoying practice of making titles that are compound sentences so I can crucify him/her? And when does Japan's ever-inventive AV industry get in on this (if it hasn't already)? Just imagine: No Matter How I Look At It, It's Your Fault My Penis is Erect or I Couldn't Come on My Own, So I Got This Handy Vibrator?
(emphasis added) Crass, puerile and prurient but hilarious and, IMO re: the general point expressed here, true (when you're meting out justice, make sure you nail the punk who started that whole semicolon-title idea too).

Just when I think that the overly snarky, "ironic/self-aware" tone of the ANN articles is getting too monotonous (I still stand by my theory that ANN's executive editor has spread his "snarkiness virus" to the whole of ANN's staff lol) y'all go to new highs (or is it lows?) and post something like that quote which causes me to crack a smile despite myself. Bravo Laughing
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:14 am Reply with quote
The first OP and ED for Psycho-Pass are ineligible because they streamed entirely in 2012.

The second opener, while good, wouldn't even crack my top three for the year had I been aware of it. Its song isn't better than this one and as an overall production isn't better than this one.

The second opener was also good, but can you honestly say it had a better song than this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:08 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
The second opener was also good, but can you honestly say it had a better song than this?

I assume you meant ending theme, but I think both Psycho Pass's second themes were better than that song. I'd forgotten what Kotoura's ED theme sounded like, and apart from "piano-y and spirited" I've more or less forgotten again.

Also, although it's not a big deal as it didn't win anything, but Kibou ni Tsuite was also from 2012, unless it replaced one of next stage's themes at some point.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:51 am Reply with quote
None of those hold a candle to JoJo's second OP and ED.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:35 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Also, although it's not a big deal as it didn't win anything, but Kibou ni Tsuite was also from 2012, unless it replaced one of next stage's themes at some point.

Yes, but that series didn't stream or get released on DVD/BR until 2013, so it is technically a 2013 series for purposes of this exercise. That wasn't the case with Psycho-Pass, which streamed as it aired.

Concerning the Jojo ED: Wow, they got permission to use a song like that? No way it'd get used if the series ever gets released on hard copy in the States.
jymmy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
jymmy wrote:

Yes, but that series didn't stream or get released on DVD/BR until 2013, so it is technically a 2013 series for purposes of this exercise. That wasn't the case with Psycho-Pass, which streamed as it aired.

Ah, right. It's a bit hard to keep track of sometimes. Actually, if we're using that criteria, I'm surprised Rose of Versailles wasn't mentioned. The difference between a series from six years ago (Lovely Complex, mentioned in Series of the Year runners-up) and thirty-six is definitely only one of degree rather than classification. I think it could have swept the awards almost as much as Flowers of Evil did for Carl.

Speaking of which, Jojo's ED clearly has the superior song, but I do think ~花~ A Last Flower goes better with its show.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:08 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
Ah, right. It's a bit hard to keep track of sometimes. Actually, if we're using that criteria, I'm surprised Rose of Versailles wasn't mentioned. The difference between a series from six years ago (Lovely Complex, mentioned in Series of the Year runners-up) and thirty-six is definitely only one of degree rather than classification. I think it could have swept the awards almost as much as Flowers of Evil did for Carl.

You are correct that Rose of Versailles was eligible, but neither of us have seen it beyond a stray episode or two. Given that Rebecca (who reviewed its first half) and I usually don't differ too much in our evaluations of non-fan-service titles, I probably would have thought highly of it had I seen it. But would it have cracked my Top 5, when there were so many other titles vying for entry? We'll never know, I guess.

(And as an interesting aside, Princess Knight - which also came out in 2013 and which I did mention - is RoV's spiritual predecessor and almost assuredly had an influence on it.)

Quote:
Speaking of which, Jojo's ED clearly has the superior song, but I do think ~花~ A Last Flower goes better with its show.

And that's a consideration I do factor in. Neither of my top two OP picks would have been there if I was basing the award purely on song quality.
Generic #757858

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Concerning the Jojo ED: Wow, they got permission to use a song like that? No way it'd get used if the series ever gets released on hard copy in the States.

The series was commissioned by WB Japan (on a minimal budget apparently), which also holds the rights to Yes' songs, so that propably helped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10