• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Haganai Film Director: Never Saw Anime, Did Not Show it to Cast Members

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sylontack

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Good.
You wouldn't remake Howl's Moving Castle off of Miyazaki's butchered (albeit fantastic) adaptation.
You'd adapt the source material and make that your own much like the previous entry to a franchise did. Unless you're adapting the anime and not the source material (like covering a cover of a song, which does happen, and I see no issue with as long as you know what source you're intending to adapt and actually adapting)
It's like telling someone something never happened in Lord of the Rings because it was a scene omitted from the films when that person had read the books and you hadn't. People who like the anime have the anime, people who like the light novels will get a new take on the books.

Or saying (In the most extreme example imaginable) "Oh Madoka Magica had a few faustian allusions, let's adapt Faust based off of Madoka Magica"

Having said that this film does not look interesting to me, but neither does the anime or the novels- But I applaud the director for having some common sense.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the series, but after Googling the images, this explains why the actors generally look nothing like their characters. Laughing
tyer123

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I have a feeling that the director never read the novels either. As people have pointed out:
1) Sena's dad is the principal of the school. There's no way a single student can overthrow them unless he is of some ridiculously high ranking family
2) There is a student council in the novel series - who happens to be a very friendly female student

In addition, the charm of the series comes from the relationships between the main characters, and the friction between them at times is what drives the story forward. Throwing in an antagonist seems to indicate that the conflict between the main characters will be severely downplayed, which means that its not even faithful to the novel series itself.

Which leads to question - who is the movie geared towards? I would've thought it would mainly be fans of the series - but this is a giant insult to them. Just looking at the main character itself is painful to my eyes. Is it really that difficult just to get a normal Japanese boy, and taint the tip of his hair blonde? Where the heck did the white hair come from? It leaves everyone else, and judging by the horrible trailer I saw of this months ago - who the hell in their right mind would watch this load of garbage?
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:00 pm Reply with quote
i would say jdrama people but this is missing male hotties for them. for the ones complaining aobut casting , whenever there is a live action adaptation of a manga/anime apply this simple rule of thumb, all the characters look a like average japanese people unless the plot actually states otherwise. japanese live action adaptations are not going to put good looking actors just for the sake of putting them in.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Having changes does not automatically mean bad. Look at Rurouni Kenshin. It's mainly about execution.

FenixFiesta wrote:

just riding off the popularity of the source material to get butts in seats.

But many anime do the same as well.
KLAC
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
well give let say sure never seen anime must have at in name only give since whole thing in live action.

& set very alternate story way off from the anime & only exclusive for live action version only.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:44 pm Reply with quote
This seems like a huge "duh." If you're making a Superman movie, you don't watch Superman: The Animated Series, you read the comics.
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote
That's fine, the anime wasn't anything special.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2