• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Dropping the Ball on Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:20 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

how that series was never completed is beyond me, but i have a nasty feeling that harmony gold (who rewrited the series as robotech) have something to do with it which is why even to this day macross frontier haven't been licensed in the US.

It did finish though.
I have the entire series sitting on my shelf. The dub was actually pretty bad so I'm not surprised. Whoever decided to cast Mignogna as Hikaru...I don't know what to say. He didn't fit Hikaru at all and I'm a fan of most of his roles.

And the reason why we haven't gotten Frontier is because of music licensing, the same reason why we never got 7.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
We had some fun times here in the UK caused by things like US companies shutting down, video chains collapsing and the like.

If you were Red Garden in the UK then you had a bit of a wait to see the end; MVM released it as a complete collection 5 years after ADV UK cancelled their volume 4. MVM released Pumpkin Scissors at the same time - ADV only got a single volume into that one back in 2008.

FUNimation messed things up for us as well. Back around 2008 they were distributing in the UK via Revelation Films (prior to the Navarre buyout they were using MVM). As of xxxHolic they instead started sublicensing to Manga and all the Revelation titles suddenly went OOP, including some that were and still are incomplete (Hell Girl, Beck, School Rumble, Peach Girl, Suzuka...)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
omiya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Speaking of paying a ton, Discotek's release of Lovely Complex has all of the Opening & Ending themes which is still shocking because those songs were performed by not one but two Johnny's bands.

I had a read of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_and_Associates - they obviously have had a lot of success, but the more recent developments of Animelo Summer Live / Animax Musix / Anison King ... events where anison artists from several different labels perform together and the performances are either (largely) released on DVD / blu-ray in the case of Animelo Summer Live or (some) broadcast in the case of Animax increases exposure and grows the audience for such events.

It may even be the case of the tail wagging the dog, with good music promoting anime to existing fans of the artists (I've bought series partly because of music of Yuki Kajiura, Chiaki Ishikawa, Kanako Ito and Minori Chihara used in them).

Would Aquarion Evol have attracted much interest without the return of Yoko Kanno and Akino+Bless4 with new music?
Sailor S

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:26 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

But what Viz Media did ( hack them to make them kid friendly ) to Eyeshield 21,Blue Dragon, Prince of Tennis , MAR , and especially Gash Bell was GOD FORSAKEN AWFUL!

But Viz didn't release Eyeshield 21, that was Sentai.

jr0904 wrote:
Also the writer also forgot about Card Captor Sakura. that series got the short end of the stick by getting licensed by Nelvana who is JUST AS BAD & TO THIS DAY HAVE BECOME EVEN WORSE THAN 4KIDS!!!

Though Pioneer/Geneon did a sub only release , and let bang zoom do the movies (thank god) that is still no excuse for a very popular and well known series like that to still to this day have no US license and given a proper english dub.

But CCS wouldn't really fit in the scope of this article, since it was fully released here. Yeah, they may have quit dubbing it, and yes it may be rarer than hen's teeth right now, but it did get a complete release, and it was even released on two box sets so people didn't have to be chumps like me and buy all the singles. If you missed out then, well them's the breaks. This article is more about series where you didn't even get a chance to finish them.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:59 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

and no one should NOT be that surprised that detective conan didn't do well in the US. all of those americanized editing as well renaming the series doomed the series from the start. However cutting bait with Kodocha is have to be the biggest head scratcher that Funimation did ever. that is until they decided not to get season 2 of Hell Girl as well as Shuffle Memories.

Having no interest in watching an animated detective series where the lead is, oh boy, in a case after case, time and again, and again, and again, where only he has all the clues, episode after episode...

Where was I?
Right, having no interest in watching "stand alone" episodes of anything {"That was a good/bad episode. Next week? Could go either way. Again. And after that..."}, even ACD gave up after 64 Sherlock Holmes stories because after awhile, the reader/viewer really have to wonder how the detective is the only one who can stop crime in his area. In the case of Detective Conan, it should have been closed long before season whatever Funimation finished at.

Yes, it has fans, everything has fans but it's not really the way the judge a show's relevance.

Kodocha is a show I own and like but what Funimation should have done is abridged it; When the best episodes of the "second season" are the clip shows and Omake adaptations since everything else is badly wrought filler, you will have problems trying to get people to buy them. Think Haruhi Suzumiya's Endless Eight with less plot points, no Kyon and no meaning yet going on for 20 plus episodes. It's painful and makes it hard to even watch the brilliant first season {I can easily recommend the manga though}.

Shuffle Memories is not worth the time, even if the final episode has some sort of plot rather than being a clip show {...memories... which should only count if they're memories that lead to something}, it's still not worth it.

OVAs usually could go either way on the "Oh, this is so necessary! Where is it?!" scale {School Rumble's final bit for example; Still better than the last few episodes of season 2 though} but there are some movies that make me wonder, Strike Witches and Negima being the two main contenders.

Sister Princess, a series that never should have been licensed or made {hey, I own it and seen most of it so I can say it}, also has a sequel series that was never licensed. Being about what exactly, I have no idea...
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:17 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:

Wellll, now that you bring it up... Rolling Eyes
Wanna throw Ghost Stories in there too?

Two words for these kind of English dubs: Guilty Pleasure. It's the reason why there's a cult following to the English dub of Red Jacket Lupin and Samurai Pizza Cats. I've met a ton of people at my old college anime club that enjoyed both English dubs.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:48 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
But what Viz Media did ( hack them to make them kid friendly ) to Eyeshield 21,Blue Dragon, Prince of Tennis , MAR , and especially Gash Bell was GOD FORSAKEN AWFUL! You can't be surprised they drop them in a hurry cause those abomination releases nearly ruined their reputation towards the otaku community and nearly became this close to being compared to 4kids.

Uh, Viz didn't do anything to edit MAR or Prince of Tennis at least. Obviously they never finished releasing either one, which is why they're in here, but what we did get of them were the actual series. I was bummed about MAR in particular: it's a super-generic tournament shounen, but it had a fun dub (including Spike Spencer as basically the anti-Shinji) that made for an enjoyable watch.

And I also loved Geneon's Lupin dub. At the very least they managed to pronounce Lupin's name properly, unlike a certain other dub I could mention.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
@Sailor S: jr's obviously talking about the English dub for Eyeshield which is completely off-topic.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:44 pm Reply with quote
The big one that sticks out for me is xxxHolic: Kei. It probably wouldn't seem like such a glaring omission to me if Funimation hadn't kept going with more Tsubasa, and it's not like xxxHolic: Kei is quite the same commitment that doing more Case Closed would be. But, I can't get too worked up about it at this point. The show has been around long enough that it would have been picked up if it was going to be, so at least I know not to hold out hope.
E-Master

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

And I also loved Geneon's Lupin dub. At the very least they managed to pronounce Lupin's name properly, unlike a certain other dub I could mention.

It didn't bother me on how the name was pronounced as "Lu-pen" as oppose to "Lu-pon" for the Lupin movies that Funimation licensed a while back. At least it was pronouce with an "L" sound. By the time they did license a Woman Called Fujiko they did have Lupin's name pronounced as "Lu-pon". Even on one of the audio commentaries, the staff and voice actors were aware of this and did apologize for having Lupin's name pronounce as "Lu-pen". Also there's plenty of other English dubs out there that either pronounce a character's name differently or spell it differently. I remember being tired of correcting someone for thinking that Captain Harlock is pronounced as "Herlock". Or some non-Pokémon fan pronouncing Pokémon as "Poke-man".

Last edited by E-Master on Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Crowjack

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:49 pm Reply with quote
One of the main reasons that I don't watch or start watching anime series hat are ongoing and have more than 50 or so eps is because of this. I don't want to invest so much time into a series and get invested in the characters and story only to be left hanging. Also most of the time I won't watch shows with more than 70 episodes. Yes, I am pretty sure that I would absolutely love Gintama, Space Brothers, Beezlebub, etc... but I don't wanna be left hanging after I spend all that time catching up to the current episodes and then have it abruptly end. I also look at it this way: if a show has 300 ep's by the time I watch those I could have watched 6-20 other shoerter series that I also like. Although if Sword Art Online and Attack On Titan keep going I'll probably stick with them.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
jr0904 wrote:

But what Viz Media did ( hack them to make them kid friendly ) to Eyeshield 21,Blue Dragon, Prince of Tennis , MAR , and especially Gash Bell was GOD FORSAKEN AWFUL!

But Viz didn't release Eyeshield 21, that was Sentai.

Actually they did had the license at one time. it mainly showed on toonami jetstream. and like the others series that cropped down as kids shows, it was really bad. and it because it was so bad they stopped dubbing for like 6 eps i believe and then dropped the license completely.

lucky for them , they didn't do that to naruto ,otherwise they would have been compared to 4kids.

NJ_ wrote:
@Sailor S: jr's obviously talking about the English dub for Eyeshield which is completely off-topic.

actually it is in a way. viz had the license, and after dubbing a small amount of eps they completely drop the license. similar to a lot of series here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:27 pm Reply with quote
I think Viz pulled out of releasing Eyeshield 21 after they couldn't get a tie-in deal with the NFL.

I don't see what's wrong with the Phuuz dub for Lupin III. While I haven't seen those episodes in Japanese, I think all the US voices fit perfectly, even if they took some getting used to. I do agree that some of the early 2000s pop culture references were unnecessary, especially since the TV series obviously takes place in the 70s. Now 70s pop-culture references on the other hand, I would've enjoyed those, even if I wasn't alive then...

The original Japanese version of Ghost Stories is fairly bland and unmemorable, and the Japanese told ADV to do whatever they wanted with it to make it marketable here (it flopped in Japan, hence the lower episode count). Since the series is so short, it would have REALLY had to have tanked for them not to dub the whole series. From what I've heard, the English version makes the show more watchable. I've heard similar things about Samurai Pizza Cats.
jcaliff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote
In addition to a lot of the other titles listed in this thread, I would have liked to have seen the rest of Salaryman Kintaro, Soar HIgh! Isami, and the third season and ovas of Kyo Kara Maoh. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote
That was a thoroughly depressing article because I forgot how many shows I love haven't made it entirely in North America.

Conan though for people in L.A. or Orange County of California with digital cable do have access to a Japanese channel that subtitles episodes in English (albeit you can tell the rush jobs sometimes) every weekend. At least they did while I was living there. (I miss the JP channels a lot.)

The VHS era though when people wonder about some of what did come out, let alone get finished reminded me about difficulty finding a copy of a series either all subtitled or dubbed back then. Sometimes I'd have to switch between volumes to see a series in it's entirety. Which is probably why I don't have strong preferences on how I view Anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9