• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Michelle Lee

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
why not just let a show stream in a separate browser while you do something else?
Echo_City

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
why not just let a show stream in a separate browser while you do something else?

I suppose that I could, when I'm not watching stuff on mobile devices, but to be honest I often forget about simulcasts. Earlier I was scrolling through the Funimation app to check out another ep of Noragami and ended up getting sidetracked by a dubbed episode of Psycho-pass. Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Echo_City wrote:

Quote:
And make sure you watch the simulcasts, we've got a ton of really good ones for this season as well, so go to Funimation.com, go to Hulu and check out the shows and see if there's something you really like, and if you do then make sure that everybody else knows and you get other fans involved in watching because we're using simulcast numbers as a big part of how to determine if something is going to get this type of treatment.
I realize that these companies want to use the Simulcast metric because it is easy but I am dismayed nevertheless to see its prominence grow as I buy physical releases but I don't particularly care for watching simulcasting and so what I can buy is affected by something with which I have little interest. I don't like the narrative of "if you want a dub, you have to watch the sub and do so at a rate of one ep/week". Even if I like a sub enough to stream it, I like to watch at a faster rate than 1ep /week but if I wait until the end of the season to stream a show I have been informed that such does not truly count as "simulcasting", to my dismay.

I also question the validity of simulcasting as a metric as it is impossible to determine how many purchasers were also simulcasters. As such, crutching on the simulcast numbers could create a debacle where Funi focuses its physical goods based on the input of an audience that doesn't exist; for all Funimation knows, there could be a huge "silent majority" of fans who buy but don't really simulcast.

I'm bothered by that, too. I've made my opinion on it known when it has come up on blog posts at Funi's website. I don't really have a lot of time to watch anything these days, so what time I do have I'd prefer to use watching my preferred format, which is dubbed. I don't much care for watching something once subbed on the hopes that it gets dubbed later and that I also have the time to watch it again. About all I can do is hope that my numerous physical purchases have counted for something so that similar shows will continue to get dubbed since simulcasts just aren't going to happen for me and I hate thinking that there isn't a more efficient way of showing support for shows that I'd like to see dubbed.
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:12 am Reply with quote
Great questions = great interview. And my hat is off to Funimation and Michelle Lee for their candor. I'd be interested to know what exactly is considered "simulcast" for the simulcast numbers. Is it only episodes that are watched the same day they are posted to the website? If so, that would apply only to Funimation Elite Subscribers. I'm also curious if simulcast-or-not, Funimation gets access to streaming numbers from Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Daisuki? I think it's really cool that Funimation is trying these Premium editions. Like other posters, I'm not so interested Kamisama Kiss, but Psycho-Pass is a definite purchase. I wonder if 1 out of the 2 being successful will be enough to pursue this in the future. I don't think I see myself contributing to simulcast numbers because that Funimation website is even worse than the old one. I'd rather watch on Crunchyroll or even Hulu.

Last edited by noblesse oblige on Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:44 am; edited 1 time in total
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:30 am Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

.....If this'll be the case for their Premium releases as well, I can't see myself supporting them in this venture. If they're going to charge Aniplex prices, they're going to have to bring Aniplex quality. Hell, to me it doesn't really matter whether the price is a bit higher, or a bit lower, the V/A quality has got to be there, otherwise I will simply pirate the series I want to watch. "Supporting the industry" is all fine and dandy, as long as the industry doesn't promote releases where fansubs do a better job of making the picture quality look pretty, as well as making better subtitles......

Funimation is not charging Aniplex prices. While this set is really expensive, it is not near Aniplex pricing for collector sets, Japan or domestic.

Last edited by TarsTarkas on Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:56 am Reply with quote
[quote="TarsTarkas"]
SouthPacific wrote:

.....If this'll be the case for their Premium releases as well, I can't see myself supporting them in this venture. If they're going to charge Aniplex prices, they're going to have to bring Aniplex quality. Hell, to me it doesn't really matter whether the price is a bit higher, or a bit lower, the V/A quality has got to be there, otherwise I will simply pirate the series I want to watch. "Supporting the industry" is all fine and dandy, as long as the industry doesn't promote releases where fansubs do a better job of making the picture quality look pretty, as well as making better subtitles......

Funimation is not charging Aniplex prices. While this set is really expensive, it is not near Aniplex pricing for collector sets, Japan or domestic.

100$+ for one title? I know anti-aniplex people likes to blow things out of proportion, but that's what Aniplex charges for their titles.

Oh, and just as expected there was something wrong with the Psycho-Pass release, with the art box being lopsided. I don't know how that was able to slip past the oh so very competent quality assurance team, but it did. I hope the aren't technical issues as well, but it sure wouldn't surprise me.

I really want to support them in doing this, and it seems like they want us to support them in this particular venture, but if this is how they're going to go about it they won't be seeing my $$$.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:43 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

100$+ for one title? I know anti-aniplex people likes to blow things out of proportion, but that's what Aniplex charges for their titles.

Oh, and just as expected there was something wrong with the Psycho-Pass release, with the art box being lopsided. I don't know how that was able to slip past the oh so very competent quality assurance team, but it did. I hope the aren't technical issues as well, but it sure wouldn't surprise me.

I really want to support them in doing this, and it seems like they want us to support them in this particular venture, but if this is how they're going to go about it they won't be seeing my $$$.

Perhaps you misunderstood.

I said that the Funimation Collectors edition was really expensive, but it wasn't at Aniplex levels.

Using the Aniplex's Madoka Magica (PMMM TV Series) Limited Edition as the low end, you are paying $95 retail for four episodes. That's $285 for all 12 episodes of the series.

Compared to Funimation's Kamisama Kiss Goddess Edition you are only paying $130 retail for the entire series.

Aniplex's high end, you are paying $500 retail for the first season of Fate Zero.

So yes, Funimation's release is really expensive, but it is no where near Aniplex's levels.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Fantastic interview!! I hope this sells well for them. Having more of these types of sets on the shelves will definitely increase my odds of buying domestic vs import. I'm kind of a bitrate whore, but having compared a few of my JPs to NAs (I've compared a friends FUNimation discs as I own none) the differences in picture quality are minuscule. As for other issues, even my JP Steins;Gate discs have color banding...that fack up wasn't on FUNimation's part!

The only thing I wish they would include minus some of the gender exclusive trinkets is (if they exist in Japan of course) interviews in booklet with the staff and CDs. I've found their booklets to be lacking in that department. I really like interviews, frame by frame analysis, episode synopsis, etc. I'm also fond of full episode e-konte (reading along with the episode is a blast!) I'm also a big fan of CDs. Both OSTs and insert song singles are very nice in my eyes. I do like Japanese commentary sometimes. Audio dramas would be an AWESOME inclusion in NA releases but is that even possible?? I'm not really a trinket guy (and this is totally more for the female fan with that hairpiece and all) but I do like postcards, clear files, pin ups, etc.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Perhaps you misunderstood.

I said that the Funimation Collectors edition was really expensive, but it wasn't at Aniplex levels.

Using the Aniplex's Madoka Magica (PMMM TV Series) Limited Edition as the low end, you are paying $95 retail for four episodes. That's $285 for all 12 episodes of the series.

Compared to Funimation's Kamisama Kiss Goddess Edition you are only paying $130 retail for the entire series.

Aniplex's high end, you are paying $500 retail for the first season of Fate Zero.

So yes, Funimation's release is really expensive, but it is no where near Aniplex's levels.

Runtime is not the only thing that matters, you have to account the popularity of the title, the packaging, what kind of extras are there, are there bonuses usually locked to the Japanese etc.

Runtime is only one of many things that should be accounted for when comparing different releases Smile. It should also be noted that I used the wording "Aniplex prices" as a way to describe prices that are significantly higher than the norm, which Funimations PE's are.

Also, bringing in Japanese imports is not going to strengthen your argument, it's just going to have an oppossite effect. This is a discussion of localizations. I think the fact that Aniplex are willing to make some of their original Japanese releases more english friendly is absolutely amazing.
Felis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Great interview! I think these premium editions are a MUCH BETTER value then Aniplex's. I like the items included with Kamisama Kiss more than Psycho-Pass, especially the folding fan and tote bag. I tend to avoid Aniplex's premium editions since I think they are way overpriced. However, since these aren't too expensive, Kamisama Kiss is only $77.99 at Right Stuf, I would definitely consider buying these.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:53 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I hadn't realised that FUNimation had Attack on Titan. For some reason I thought it was Aniplex who had that.

Aniplex USA for the most part only licenses things that their parent company in Japan produces, and they have nothing to do with Attack on Titan. It is a Kodansha property.

SouthPacific wrote:
Edit: Seems like Attack On Titan is getting a similiar treatment, and it's going to be split into parts. While not much has been revelead, the Amazon description lists this:
Quote:
Limited Edition comes with a 3-D Lenticular, as well as a 24 page digibook full of art, character information, and 4-panel comics.

Part 1 has a retail price of 89.98$ and can be pre-ordered for 80.98$; http://www.amazon.com/Attack-Titan-Limited-Edition-Blu-ray/dp/B00FXBL1IQ

Also, it will be limited to 7,500 units.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Felis wrote:
I tend to avoid Aniplex's premium editions since I think they are way overpriced.

Comparing SRPs of FUNimations Kamisama Kiss (one cour) and Aniplex of Americas Nisemonogatari (one cour) is about a 13% difference in price, if I recall correctly. Of course no one pays SRP but they are in the same ballpark. Both are higher quality offerings but FUNi can give bigger cuts.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:54 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:

I got both of these premiums. My Psycho Pass box is not lopsided at all. The show looks fine to me, but then I don't watch a show in order to look for color banding, or to stop it every frame to count the pixels.

Oh, and I didn't pay over $100.00 for either of these sets. Do you look for the most expensive retailer when you shop or something? Anime dazed

My compliments to Bamboo for an interesting and in-depth interview. Hope to see more of these.
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

I got both of these premiums. My Psycho Pass box is not lopsided at all. The show looks fine to me, but then I don't watch a show in order to look for color banding, or to stop it every frame to count the pixels.

Oh, and I didn't pay over $100.00 for either of these sets. Do you look for the most expensive retailer when you shop or something? Anime dazed

While I CBA to find the link, plenty of people over at the fandom forums will vouch that the art boxes for Psycho Pass were either lopsided or had white scratches over the box. In some cases people had both, and while Funimation themselves haven't said anything (big surprise there Laughing) rightstuf representatives commented in the thread that they're aware of the issue and are speaking with Funimation about it.

I buy anime mostly from Amazon, as they will ship internationally without me having to send them photo copies of very sensitive personal information, not to mention they ship overseas for a very good price Very Happy.

FYI color banding is very obvious, and if it managed to get past you, the show must be extremely immersing (although color banding would disrupt the immersion...) or you may have bad eye sight Wink. Oh, and if you can actually see the pixels while watching a BD you should ask for a refund.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:30 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
FYI color banding is very obvious, and if it managed to get past you, the show must be extremely immersing (although color banding would disrupt the immersion...) or you may have bad eye sight Wink. Oh, and if you can actually see the pixels while watching a BD you should ask for a refund.

I don't buy any show that isn't "immersing" in some way. Who would want to buy a show they thought was boring?

I do notice color banding from time to time, but it never seems to enraaaaaage me for some reason. I never said I could see pixels, though it seems there are a bunch of anime fans who count the pixels on every frame and compare the japanese imports to the domestic product. They are usually the same people who freak out if a color is slightly lighter or darker than the Japanese counterpart. It all seems really irrelevant to me.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4